Turn on thread page Beta

Now that i'm 18 can i take out a contract phone? watch

ReputationRep:
    I have been wondering since i am 18 can i take out a contract phone. I was going to buy the iphone 3gs but now i'm thinking i dont want to pay that much in bulk for pay as you go when i could get a contract with monthly minute and the phone for free. I heard you may have to pay £100 deposit or something but besides that can i get one?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    yeah you can. but i advise u not to get a contract phone unless ur 100% sure u can pay it off

You should be able to... if you pass the credit check

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)
    You should be able to... if you pass the credit check
    ok. I dont have anything bad. But then again i dont have a record of anything i have paid for. I heard if your credit wasn't perfect you pay £100 deposit or something

ReputationRep:
    I went ahead and got T-mobiles sim only solo fixed 15. unlimited texts, 350 mins. 30 day rolling contract. there isn't a better deal out there, i promise you. as long as you have an unlocked phone already. but if you want a snazzy phone, go ahead and get the 3gs, if you can justify paying soo much for it lol.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    You can take them out when you're younger I thought?

ReputationRep:
    You have to be 18 to take out a contract, and you must pass the credit check. Some companies might outright decline you, and others might ask for a deposit. This is due to you not having any credit history in this country. You can improve your credit rating by having a credit card with a very low limit and making small purchases on it and immediately paying off the full balance. However O2 are relatively easy to pass provided you're willing to put up a deposit, and your credit rating will improve over the tenure of the contract provided you never miss a payment! So only take out the contract if you can afford the monthly payment or it'll make things difficult in the future!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but remember, once you're in a contract, theres no getting out of it (unless you pay the remaining balance). I had no credit history, but O2 didn't even ask for a deposit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bucky!)
    Yes, but remember, once you're in a contract, theres no getting out of it (unless you pay the remaining balance). I had no credit history, but O2 didn't even ask for a deposit.
    This is true. Credit agencies work in funny ways, a decision can also involve taking your household credit history into account. If your household has a tradition of strong credit then you're more likely to get a pass than if the property has had a history of defaults and other credit problems (even if they were caused by the previous owners!)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 28, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.