Turn on thread page Beta

Scared for my safety watch

Announcements

I know this is not necessarily to do with 'health and relationships' as such but it's something that's genuinely worrying me so please don't de-anon.

I'm just about to move into my second year of uni and am supposed to be moving into a house with some of my friends. The problem is, the house is in a really rough area and I'm scared. Many students live in this particular area every year and the vast majority are fine, but I've been looking on the internet and have seen horror stories which terrify me. I'm from quite a quiet area and have never known any crime my entire life and I'm so scared that something will happen, that I'll get mugged or someone will break into our house. I'm quite small and I think I look an easy target for thugs. It's scaring me so much that I'm starting to fear going back.

I just don't know what to do, should I contact my university accommodation office in the hope that they'll be able to reassure me, or should I ask my landlords if it's possible for me to back out of the contract so I can live in halls again? Should I just pull myself together and get over it? (Much easier said then done).

Any serious help would be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    If you think you'll constantly be living in fear of going out, then you should probobly think about changing. You should talk it over with your parents/the university to see what options are available, and with your friends as well. I think it would be better to not risk staying somewhere until you realise you don't like it and would prefer to be somewhere else when it's too late too change. However, this is only what I'd do, and you should do what you think feels right.

ReputationRep:
    You have to remember that the negatives of things stay in your mind alot more then the positive of things, this is true about most things, if you read a report on something and someone gives it a negative view and someone gives it a positive, you will remember the negative one more i think.

If you are genuinely scared to live there, it may be worth talking to the uni and asking if they can help out, if not just reassure you. You have to be comfortable where you are living. Have you voiced your concerns with the people you are living with?

ReputationRep:
    My sister moved to a rough area and she was fine. There is alot of horror stories about the area and she has seen none of it. Be freindly with the people in the area and you will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Don't settle for a rough area if you have a choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I know this is not necessarily to do with 'health and relationships' as such but it's something that's genuinely worrying me so please don't de-anon.

I'm just about to move into my second year of uni and am supposed to be moving into a house with some of my friends. The problem is, the house is in a really rough area and I'm scared. Many students live in this particular area every year and the vast majority are fine, but I've been looking on the internet and have seen horror stories which terrify me. I'm from quite a quiet area and have never known any crime my entire life and I'm so scared that something will happen, that I'll get mugged or someone will break into our house. I'm quite small and I think I look an easy target for thugs. It's scaring me so much that I'm starting to fear going back.

I just don't know what to do, should I contact my university accommodation office in the hope that they'll be able to reassure me, or should I ask my landlords if it's possible for me to back out of the contract so I can live in halls again? Should I just pull myself together and get over it? (Much easier said then done).

Any serious help would be much appreciated.
    what a pussy. utter *******. grow a pair of balls.

ReputationRep:
    I'm South African and lived in Cape Town for fifteen years, going regularly into some pretty rough areas. I wouldn't term many areas in this country as 'rough', and I think it needs to be taken in perspective. There aren't many places here that one sees people walking the streets with a bottle of alcohol in one hand and a gun in the other. When people claim areas in this country are 'rough', one should take it with a pinch of salt. Just make sure you don't make an obvious target and act like you belong there - you're most likely safe!

- Hope that helps - just shout if you want more practical advice on keeping safe :cool:!

- D

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2009
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.