Turn on thread page Beta

NHS - Free boob jobs ? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    Surely ALL people with mental health issues deserve to be treated with the same level of importance? You can't say one person's mental illness is more deserving of treatment than anothers'. That's extremely judgmental and the whole point of the medical profession is to be completely unbiased.
    I know that, but the NHS has to prioritize cases because there just isn't enough money, staff or time to help everyone, whether they are in urgent care or not. I don't think that people's needs are any less important than others, but it is unfair that people are getting this kind of surgery done, when there are other people who need life saving care.

ReputationRep:
    The NHS do breast reductions too, because large boobs can cause severe back and joint problems.

ReputationRep:
    I know a girl who went and cried to a doctor saying that she was getting bullied for her small breasts and they gave her a boob job. She wanted to be a glamour model, you see. I also know of another girl who said she was depressed because she was flat-chested, and she was given a free boob job too. It's shameful, but apparently it works if you're desperate enough and are a good liar.

ReputationRep:
    That is a load of rubbish and should never be allowed to happen!

Okay, I know I've got perfect boobs but that does not cloud my judgement.

ReputationRep:
    a 16 year old wannabe Jordan claims she is depressed vs people like my mother who have had painful veins for years but have suddenly got alot worse and could potential lead to other problems and is finding it hard to walk and has to care for her 2 month old daughter.. I mean come on people...

Breast reductions I can understand if they patient has back problems and even more so if it could cause further complications..
    Breast increase should be at the bottom of the list hell eye corrections should be higher than it..

ReputationRep:
    Y'know if a bloke were to goto the doctor saying that his cumbernauld sausage made him feel inadequate and self-conscious he'd be told that size doesn't matter or that all men have 0.5" erections but when a woman says she thinks her breasts are too small and it makes her self-conscious then it's time to call on the plastic surgeon.

It just whiffs of a costly double-standard, I wouldn't mind if it was just one or the other but it's taking money from other areas of the NHS and excluding other sects of society.

ReputationRep:
    Can I get a pair on the NHS too? I'm really flat chested and I think it may be affecting my self esteem and social life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Stranger in Moscow)
    Same, I once took a knife to it.
    I've considered setting it on fire so they have to repair it for me but I also have a fear of pain so that didn't go down well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elixira)
    I don't wanna judge her or the situation, but I honestly don't believe having small boobs can cause depression they should have treated it with decent therapy or even meds.

Just to clarify, it was on the NHS, right?
    how big are your boobs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OiaB)
    My girlfriend's friend had a boob job because she was suffering depression due to insecurities about being flat chested.

Take from that what you will
    I don't know what others think, but that strikes me as dodging the main issue. Fixation on a body part is a symptom of a mental issue, the body part isn't at fault.

ReputationRep:
    Surely ALL people with mental health issues deserve to be treated with the same level of importance? You can't say one person's mental illness is more deserving of treatment than anothers'. That's extremely judgmental and the whole point of the medical profession is to be completely unbiased.
    No, but I question the treatment. I suffered from BDD, and didn't like various features on my face for a long time. It was not open to me to get treatment on those physical features on the basis that it upset me. But counselling was. If s.o gets depressed because they don't like their weight, the NHS doesn't give lipo, it offers support for weight loss. There are other methods.

In this case, it doesn't seem like it would even take a lot of counselling to get over depression on the basis of one physical feature.

My friend's sister's best friend (seriously :p:) got her boobs increased from a B to a C cup on the NHS because of "trauma". what. the. hell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melting Sugar.)
    how big are your boobs?
    Touché, they're perfect.

But I still don't think having a flat chest can cause depression. You can be flat-chested and happy. And what are the chances that after a boob job, the girl finds another part of her body that makes her 'depressed'?

Tbh, if someone's that bothered by it they should save up and frickin pay for the op.

ReputationRep:
    Surely if this is the case, you could use the argument to justify any and all types of plastic surgery?...

ReputationRep:
    The NHS do pyschological test to check if the person really needs the surgery first, this has been going on for a long time. personally i dont have a problem with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarcD)
    Surely if this is the case, you could use the argument to justify any and all types of plastic surgery?...
    I think the NHS considers all types of surgery.

ReputationRep:
    Psychological effects of a negative body image can be devastating to your health which is why they often fund augmentations to patients with uneven breasts or women who struggle to cope with accepting their body. Breast reconstructions are always offered to mastectomy patients.
    So if someone has a BDD then rather than trying to help them accept that they're thinking illogically and are making themselves miserable it's better to just give them quick-fix surgery, which probably won't help them at all in the long run?

Thing is, these disorders are caused by society, by a whole range of life experiences (traumatic or otherwise) building up to create a problem. "Fixing" them by adjusting that person to society's faux-perfection seems incredibly irrational.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by punktopia)
    So if someone has a BDD then rather than trying to help them accept that they're thinking illogically and are making themselves miserable it's better to just give them quick-fix surgery, which probably won't help them at all in the long run?

Thing is, these disorders are caused by society, by a whole range of life experiences (traumatic or otherwise) building up to create a problem. "Fixing" them by adjusting that person to society's faux-perfection seems incredibly irrational.
    Excuse me if I'm being naive, but is it not possible that some people could be depressed purely because of the shape of their body?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katierattray)
    The NHS do pyschological test to check if the person really needs the surgery first, this has been going on for a long time.
    cool, but there are no psychological tests that can't be faked. Madmen are always smarter than the doctors, I know 'cause I am one of them. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamitri)
    cool, but there are no psychological tests that can't be faked. Madmen are always smarter than the doctors, I know 'cause I am one of them. :awesome:
    lol, doctors know when people lie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Excuse me if I'm being naive, but is it not possible that some people could be depressed purely because of the shape of their body?
    yeah very easilly and thats why the NHS funds free surgery.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 27, 2012
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.