Turn on thread page Beta

What to know before learning to drive watch

ReputationRep:
    Should you know any bear essentials before starting to drive? Or will driving teachers be ready to teach you even the most simplistic things?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by motiv3)
    Should you know any bear essentials before starting to drive? Or will driving teachers be ready to teach you even the most simplistic things?
    Get the highway code, read a good bit of it. Most of it is common sense, but it's good to have it fresh in your mind and will clarify some things (what lane to be in when going onto a roundabout etc).

ReputationRep:
    what side of the road we drive on?

thats jsut the bear necessities though.

ReputationRep:
    Omg I have been thinking about the same thing here, but i would recommand that you do start off by purchasing a few driving books and read or do a simple browse through them up first just to sum up your knowledge before booking those lessons.

ReputationRep:
    open a car door?

ReputationRep:
    okay please stop with the statements such as 'open a door'. What i meant was stuff such as changing gears, clutch, bite etc etc

Thank you for those mentioning the highway code etc

ReputationRep:
    They cant refuse to answer anything ... try getting a head start on theory i.e roadsigns etc. I just knew my theory and like basic controls and cockpit drill so it didn't take to long on the first lesson ... the only thing i really needed was photos of what the mirror views should be, car specific controls and whaty speed brackets a gear change is required!

ReputationRep:
    you should know that it costs a small fortune :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Ask someone, who knows how to drive, to go over the theory of clutch control. When your instructor goes over it with you, it might seem like a lot to take in at the time.

ReputationRep:
    Subscribing to thread. Most of these answers are really good! Must get cracking on the highway code

ReputationRep:
    1st gear is simply to move off. Anything over 6-7 miles per hour is okay to go into second gear. Once you understand the first two gears, understanding the others will be a lot more natural. But to be honest I might not be the best person to be giving advice. I failed my test first time lol. Nerves got to me. I believe the key is experience on the road. The more time you have driving on the road, the better driver you'll be

ReputationRep:
    These sites help you with the basic stuff:
    http://www.2pass.co.uk/pract.htm
    http://www.driving-test-success.com/...rting_off.html

ReputationRep:
    Oh and SAVE SAVE SAVE evry penny whilst doing your test .
    at best your looking at £100 per 5hours £6 for the learner disk (very good though apparently my driving school gives it to you free when I d already bought it ) £30 ish pounds to take the theory test , £60-£70 for your practical (depending on time) £1 for L plates (tesco) £28 pw for insurance for private practice on your parents car ( depends on the car . Though you have to pay for 4 weeks the first time u do it plus admin so between 70/80 £ . And your provis. liscence costs £50 alone.... don't forget about pass plus you may want to do that . Driving school may offer £70 for intensive lesson and car hire on the day of your test.

so if you take the recommended 40 lessons plus the disk and say even only one month private insurance etc. and haven't bpught ur proviso yet your looking at

Lessons: £800
    Liscence (P) :£50
    Practise disk £6
    L plates :£1
    Private practise insurance : £75
    Theory test :£30
    Practical Test : £60

Total :£1022 ( variable based on your circumstances)

If you fail the tests you'll have to pay again.

Personally at the moment I have Liscence (parents paid b-day present)
    Disk
    L- Plates
    Enough fo aroun 13 lessons
    Self funded (no job!)

ReputationRep:
    i didnt know the first thing about driving when i started, when i called my instructer he asked what stage i was at with driving because some people change instructer and already have had leasons. I told him i know nothing about driving! He went through the basics on my first leason only took about 10mins and i was driving So dont worry if you dont know anything at all that is what your instructer is there for to help you learn how to drive.

It can be quite expencive, although iv havnt spend no were near 800pound on leasons maybe about 350 my instructer thinks ill be passed in a month or so. It a good idea to start saving for a car as soon as you start learning!

ReputationRep:
    Previous knowledge and experience certainly helps, but isn't strictly necessary. Any good instructor should pitch his lesson delivery to your level of knowledge.

Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions. There's no such thing as a "silly" question. Well, there is... the question you don't ask.. now that's silly

ReputationRep:
    I know how a car worked - engine, gears etc but the actual driving the car like bitiing point, lane disipline, approaching junctions and round abouts i didnt know anything. With the money you pay for an instructor, they will take you right from the beginning such as telling you how to switch the engine on, dont worry about it. Show up for your lesson and you'll learn everything you need to know then.

For sure the highway code will help but i'd leave it until the theory, driving is expensive it's crazy. Also, you don't want to be taking in info from a book and then idffering info from an instructor, it's a steep learning curve at the beginning....going from starting the engine to being on the road with other cars and lorrys being about you. Take all your info from one source and that should be your instructor. My opinion.

ReputationRep:
    My instructor tried to make me steer round a really sharp corner on the first lesson so we could practice stopping and starting down the other road.
    I'd say be prepared for everything that seems easy before you actually do it yourself, to not be easy at all. I nearly killed us both.

ReputationRep:
    practice turning a key, that should do it!

ReputationRep:
    That there are 3 pedals.

ReputationRep:
    I knew nothing before my first lesson. My instructor has had to teach me everything, and he is still doing so! XD

I've picked up a few things from reading my Highway Code but I only bought that after I started lessons. I've been learning for about three weeks and he says I should be booking my test in about another month or so - and I've got a holiday in between there, but I am doing many lessons a week.

Obviously, the more you know now, the easier the first lesson will be to get your head round, but it's still probably going to be a lot to take in. As was said above, things look easy, until you try them yourself! XD

Good luck

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.