Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The stress is on the first syllable, they are not schwa. Basically I think I've heard the first syllable with the vowel of book and with the vowel of cup. (I'm assuming you're not from Oop North.)

ReputationRep:
    Department of Psychological Masturbation and Monetary Scamming

Anyway I normally just call it Dee-Pee-Em-Em-Es or Pure Department, depending on my mood.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Zhen Lin)
    I think I've heard it as /dʊpməs/ and possibly /dʌpməs/ as well.
    So, "doopmas" and "dupmas"? I've never heard either of those. And I hope never to again...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Irrelevance)
    (Original post by Slumpy)
    (Original post by Irrelevance)
    (Original post by davidne)
    Ah but Irrelevance - there are two maths departments at Cambridge, as the general has described.
    When they ask you which department, just say "stats"?
    I think there's statslab too, to confuse things.
    Dammit. There has to be an easy way out of this.
    haha. no. :nah:

most decentralised teaching system in the uk. i would call it organised chaos, but i think that is suggesting some kind of order is possible... what's worse is besides there being these departments and labs, teaching, lectures and seminars can also take place any of 30-or-so colleges throughout the city. :yep:

but we love it.

ReputationRep:
    Duppems

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.