Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone around starting aero engineering in 2009 at glasgow? Conditional or unconditional? Would be nice to hear from you.

I currently have a conditional - hope to be seeing you guys in september.

ReputationRep:
    As of this morning, Aeronuatical engineering unconditional

ReputationRep:
    Aero unconditional!

where are you all living? I'll be in Maclay.

ReputationRep:
    I live in East Kilbride, so staying with the rents and will commute via bus/train every day

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering about the timetables for this course first year... how busy is the average day? is everyday the same? for example, will i be in class from 9-5 or is there free time in the middle of the day? hows the work load?

thanks so much.

ReputationRep:
    Met my offer to aeronautical engineering for me! I'm staying in queen margaret. Looking at last years timetable, its typically 9-5 with and hours break for lunch i guess and another hour elsewhere in the day.

what highers/adv highers do you have?

ReputationRep:
    im an american, we work off a different system so... none i guess! haha i dont know the equivalent.

ReputationRep:
    6A's and a B for me.

A's include Adv computing, higher physics, maths, chemistry, music + computing.

B was in english

ReputationRep:
    coool....i have:

Highers: geography (A), physics (B), maths (B), english (B), chemistry (B)
    Advanced Highers: physics (B), geography (B)

hopefully i'll cope with the course :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olivetti)
    I was wondering about the timetables for this course first year... how busy is the average day? is everyday the same? for example, will i be in class from 9-5 or is there free time in the middle of the day? hows the work load?

thanks so much.
    Hi. I'm going in to third year of Aero, so I can help you out with this sort of thing.

http://www-legacy.aero.gla.ac.uk/UGr...Timetables.pdf

Timetable for the year is right there at that link. The lecture timetable is the first page. Note that some subjects are 1st semester, some are 2nd, it mentions which are which.

So it's pretty much 9am every day, until about 1. But it doesn't end there, because there are also labs and tutorials to attend which aren't on the lecture timetable. They happen in the afternoon, and the timetable for labs/tutorials is on page 13 of the same pdf file.

The workload is quite large in the first semester. This year they decided to make the exams BEFORE Christmas, rather than after, so it's even tougher - about 3/4 weeks less time to study! The second semester isn't quite so bad, it's rather laid back in first year.

Any more questions, just ask them here, or PM me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MearsM)
    I live in East Kilbride, so staying with the rents and will commute via bus/train every day
    'tis quite pish for the social scene doing that. I've been living at home in the east end of Glasgow and commuting in on the train. Although I have a car since first year, so I drive in a lot too. It's not too bad, though.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, and if any of you guys want to buy some of the books you'll need for first year, I can help you out with that

ReputationRep:
    On the calender it says that teaching period ends dec. 4th, and that examination period ends the 18th.... however does that mean the exams can be anywhere between the 4th and 18th? Would I be home free before the 18th by any chance?

... just trying to plan out return trips home

ReputationRep:
    On the calender it says that teaching period ends dec. 4th, and that examination period ends the 18th.... however does that mean the exams can be anywhere between the 4th and 18th? Would I be home free before the 18th by any chance?

... just trying to plan out return trips home
    Yes, your exams can be anywhere between the 4th and the 18th, and you have no way of knowing which days you will have exams on until the examination timetable is published, and that usually doesn't happen until November or so. Sorry!

ReputationRep:
    ah ok. thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Phugoid, any first year advice? how are the math courses? is there a good amount of review?

Phugoid, any first year advice? how are the math courses? is there a good amount of review?
    Hey, I've just finished 1st year so I can offer up some advice for you: there's a lot in the Maths course which makes it a long slog but you should have no problem with it as long as you were approximately an A/high-B level Higher Maths student (if you did A-level Maths I'd imagine you'll find the 1st year Maths course a breeze). The tutorials are there each week to help you with your work and to deal with any questions you may have - take this opportunity and use it wisely since the Maths lecturers are probably the best lecturers in 1st year and put so much effort in to helping you achieve your best (don't take it for granted otherwise you'll fail and deserve to).

Any other Aero-related questions then just quote me and I'll get back to you. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Fantastic, just thought I should mention I got into Aeronautical Eng :P

Also is there any Ugsas members on these boards?

I won't brag about my exam results, because put it this way, its not worth it, so don't ask! I had to go to summer school -_- .

And finally, if anyone posses such knowledge, how many people actually do aero eng? Are the people from Aero Eng and Aero Sys together during first year or different? How are the lectures organised i.e does everyone doing Aero eng sit in the same lectures for all subjects really, or are you thrown in with some hardcore maths guys and some electrical engineers.

I know I will be told anyway, it's just getting annoying waiting until it starts while Im still looking for a job, everyones back at school and I'm doing nothing but trolling the internet! So its worth knowing meanwhile.

P.s. Im not very active here so don't take offence if I don't reply staight away(Y)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Biggles)
    Hey, I've just finished 1st year so I can offer up some advice for you: there's a lot in the Maths course which makes it a long slog but you should have no problem with it as long as you were approximately an A/high-B level Higher Maths student (if you did A-level Maths I'd imagine you'll find the 1st year Maths course a breeze). The tutorials are there each week to help you with your work and to deal with any questions you may have - take this opportunity and use it wisely since the Maths lecturers are probably the best lecturers in 1st year and put so much effort in to helping you achieve your best (don't take it for granted otherwise you'll fail and deserve to).

Any other Aero-related questions then just quote me and I'll get back to you. :yy:
    Ah thanksss thats good to hear. Ill definitely come up with another question to ask you haha give it time.

(Original post by Billboy05)
    And finally, if anyone posses such knowledge, how many people actually do aero eng?
    For 1st year it's approximately 100, and you'll be looking at 5 female students - 10 if you're exceedingly lucky.

Are the people from Aero Eng and Aero Sys together during first year or different?
    Eh...not sure. I think it's the 1st year that they've offered Aero Eng, Avionics and Aero Sys together - before it was just Aero Eng and Avionics.

How are the lectures organised i.e does everyone doing Aero eng sit in the same lectures for all subjects really, or are you thrown in with some hardcore maths guys and some electrical engineers.
    You're more likely to be mixed in with Mech/Aero-mech guys/gals - you'll be with them for Thermofluids, Applied Mechanics, Aerospace Engineering (Aero-mech) and a few others I think.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.