Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billboy05)
    Also is there any Ugsas members on these boards?
    Not me anyway!

And finally, if anyone posses such knowledge, how many people actually do aero eng?
    I think around 120 started in my year, and we were lucky enough to have more than 10 females! :O

However, the numbers will dwindle greatly as the years go on. The leap between 1st and 2nd year sees a lot of students fail or drop out. Not to worry you!

Are the people from Aero Eng and Aero Sys together during first year or different?
    Some of the subjects are the same, some aren't. So you'll be with them for classes such as Mathematics, Applied Mechanics and Aerospace Engineering, etc, but they will do courses like 'Introductory Programming', which you won't do, and you'll do things like 'Structure of Industry', which they won't do. Same goes for Avionics students.

How are the lectures organised i.e does everyone doing Aero eng sit in the same lectures for all subjects really, or are you thrown in with some hardcore maths guys and some electrical engineers.
    You won't be anywhere near any pure mathematics students, or electrical engineers for that matter. You will share Applied Mechanics and Thermodynamics and Fluid Mechanics with Mechanical Engineering students, and quite a lot of your subjects will be shared with Avionics and Aerospace Systems students. So there is a bit of mixing in that respect, but there isn't really any cross-departmental mixing. You will always be with Engineers, pretty much.

In the subjects that you don't share with mech students, the lecture halls will be quite small, and the faces will be more familiar. But there are rather a lot of the mechanical students for some reason, so in subjects you share with them, there will be maybe 300 or so in the lecture theatre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olivetti)
    Phugoid, any first year advice? how are the math courses? is there a good amount of review?
    There is quite a large amount of review. The lecturers will basically assume that you have done Higher level mathematics to a decent level (A/B), but that you have understandably forgotten it over the course of the summer! So there are no leaps in knowledge or anything. They will ease you in, and there will be a review of higher level mathematics.

The Engineering department also has the Diagnostic Maths test. It's basically a multiple choice test at the beginning of the year which determines what level you are at. If your level isn't great, you'll be asked to attend some classes and sessions, and will re-sit the diagnostic test until you are at a sufficient level. But don't treat that like a scary test that you must pass, it's just a tool for helping you get up to scratch with the bare minimum - but it's really not that taxing, you have nothing to worry about.

The 1st year mathematics course is basically identical to Advanced Higher mathematics, but with some stuff taken out (formal proofs, and numerical methods like Euclidian algorithms), and with some stuff put in (hyperbolic functions, etc).

If it's any comfort to you, I got an A1 in the Mathematics in 1st year, despite the fact that I took a gap year between 5th year of high school (where I did only Higher level, not Advanced Higher level mathematics) and starting university, in which I did ZERO mathematics. So even if you're a bit (or really) rusty, it doesn't take much to get up to a high standard.

EDIT: And since you're American, you probably won't understand my references to 'Higher' and 'Advanced Higher', which are Scottish qualification levels. But you'll just have to trust me that the assumed knowledge of 'Higher' is a very modest amount of knowledge indeed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phugoid)
    The Engineering department also has the Diagnostic Maths test. It's basically a multiple choice test at the beginning of the year which determines what level you are at. If your level isn't great, you'll be asked to attend some classes and sessions, and will re-sit the diagnostic test until you are at a sufficient level. But don't treat that like a scary test that you must pass, it's just a tool for helping you get up to scratch with the bare minimum - but it's really not that taxing, you have nothing to worry about.
    What type of questions/standard are they?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScottD)
    Basic Higher level questions.

(Original post by ScottD)
    No need to worry if you can't do some of them - only worry if you can't tackle any of them. :p:

ReputationRep:
    What happens at this advisor meeting thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MearsM)
    What happens at this advisor meeting thing?
    Well if your doing aeronautical engineering then....

you should have been there today.

Otherwise you get confirmed on Websurf individually, get your timetable, some info about the course and your advisor, hints for the initial maths test, and fill out some personal info.

Make sure you know you ANN thing. User Id and password! for websurf.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I was away this week, so returned on the 11th at 12 o'clock mid day to find my letter. CHecked the site later that day and saw it had been....oh well, wonder how on earths name I am going to sort this mess out :P

(Original post by MearsM)
    Yeah I was away this week, so returned on the 11th at 12 o'clock mid day to find my letter. CHecked the site later that day and saw it had been....oh well, wonder how on earths name I am going to sort this mess out :P
    Phone up the Department and ask to go in at some point during Freshers' Week. You're not missing much - it took literally 5 minutes for my adviser meeting (wasn't even with my actual adviser) and they just logged on, clicked a button and sent me on my way. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Biggles)
    No need to worry if you can't do some of them - only worry if you can't tackle any of them. :p:
    I did the practice thing haha, its comment thing was "good work" promising hehe!:p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 16, 2009
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.