Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Near death experiances Watch

• View Poll Results: Near death experiences real or not?
    I don't know
    28.57%
    near death experiences are genuine out of body experiences that occur when the physical body is not functioning
    21.43%
    it is a dream that occurs in the intensive care unit during recovery or just before flat lining etc when you pass out
    42.86%
    other
    7.14%

ReputationRep:
    Im not sure what to believe at the moment, im a little bit stumped. It seems like most of the "dreams" seem to be based around things that could be made up by the brain...and i have not seen a study yet where someone has remembered specific details of what happend.

give reasons for your choice

ReputationRep:
    I once had a heart attack because someone spelt 'experience wro.....

ReputationRep:
    I've had an out of body experience and Im sure its similar to near death experience if not, its pretty much the same thing

ReputationRep:
    There's been cases of NDEs where the patient can give intricate details about their operations and even spotted items on hospital ledges that they couldn't possibly have seen from anywhere but the ceiling.

Try reading the Wikipedia article:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_death_experience
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I believe that they're genuine. I mean, there have been reports of people who have clinically died in hospital, and after they've been revived they've said that they floated out of their body, went down the corridor, and into some other room....and they give an accurate description of exactly what went on in that other room - who was in there and what was said etc.

I cannot see how that is possible if it was just a hallucination, or just due to the brain releasing chemicals etc. How could they possibly know what was going on and said in another room?

ReputationRep:
    They are genuine but I don't think it is anything supernatural I think it is all psychological, by this I don't think that they are not accurate I just think the mind is very strong and can do crazy things like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    I believe that they're genuine. I mean, there have been reports of people who have clinically died in hospital, and after they've been revived they've said that they floated out of their body, went down the corridor, and into some other room....and they give an accurate description of exactly what went on in that other room - who was in there and what was said etc.

I cannot see how that is possible if it was just a hallucination, or just due to the brain releasing chemicals etc. How could they possibly know what was going on and said in another room?
    But think of how many times someone has thought they floated down the hallway, into another room and then given a totally incorrect description of the room. This probably happens many more times that a chance correct decription, it's just that nobody bothers to tell the story.

ReputationRep:
    I had an out of body experience as a young child, which I remember quite vividly, though I don't know the cause. In mine, during an operation, I remember floating to the ceiling. I do recall looking down, but my focus mostly was on the border at the top of the wall, which was a jungle theme with elephants of various colours. From the ground, it was impossible to identify the coloured figures as elephants.
    My best assumption is that your brain subconsciously sees things in a more magnified way than you perceive (the same reason for things appearing larger when you're scared) and that under anaesthetic this real image came through in a dream.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.