Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheJudge)
    Who cares if it was a response to Bateman it was a very general comment about the lack of wit Iranians posses. The irony is you say it like you have an understanding of Iranian culture when in reality the only understanding you have is that Iranians are some sort of evil people who live far away.
    They do live quite far away tbh...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrrye)
    They do live quite far away tbh...

Not all of them. Afterall the apprentice was just won by an Iranian and there is an Iranian in the big brother house.... so there you go.

ReputationRep:
    Not all of them. Afterall the apprentice was just won by an Iranian and there is an Iranian in the big brother house.... so there you go.
    Well to be honest Iranians are not renown for their wit, kind of like Jews are not known for their wit either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dn013)
    Well to be honest Iranians are not renown for their wit, kind of like Jews are not known for their wit either.
    Which race is known for their wit then. I consider wit to be an individual thing and that there are many witty people but not really a culture known for being witty.

ReputationRep:
    Which race is known for their wit then. I consider wit to be an individual thing and that there are many witty people but not really a culture known for being witty.
    Britain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dn013)
    Britain

I live in britain and i can understand why you get that stereotype but i don't consider Britain to be a witty nation. I think abroad people consider British people to be posh, intelligent, polite and witty.... in reality most of the people you will meet are more like Jeremy Kyle than anything else. As my friend put it 'tits and tattoos'.

ReputationRep:
    I live in britain and i can understand why you get that stereotype but i don't consider Britain to be a witty nation. I think abroad people consider British people to be posh, intelligent, polite and witty.... in reality most of the people you will meet are more like Jeremy Kyle than anything else. As my friend put it 'tits and tattoos'.
    Wit is the central part of British humor though. Other cultures don't have the same type of humor as the British. How many other cultures would you throw the word 'witty' into their description?? Americans aren't especially witty, I am one and my wit is pretty poor, it is only the British who are actually considered witty as a nation.

ReputationRep:
    I have never heard Brits being considered 'witty...

ReputationRep:
    Christ there are some sick people on this forum, encouraged by the thought of a nuclear attack on Israel or Iran due to the fact that they dislike the actions of the said state's governments. Well it's not the governments who are likely to bear brunt of any attacks. I'd say that any attacks would be disastrous not just for the region but for the whole world, as all Western states have a vested interest in the Middle East. Some people may contradict me and say that the Western states have a vested interest in seeing an unstable Middle East, however I think that this is an old ideology that has proved to be ineffective, hence Obama's courting of the Middle Eastern formerly rogue-states.

ReputationRep:
    I support all Iranian nuclear technology and all Iranian technological advancement in all fields, providing it's only used for those purposes. Also Iran is entitled to do so, as other countries possess nuclear weapons i.e. America and supposedly Israel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hibz123)
    I support all Iranian nuclear technology and all Iranian technological advancement in all fields, providing it's only used for those purposes. Also Iran is entitled to do so, as other countries possess nuclear weapons i.e. America and supposedly Israel.
    Iran lacks stability that Israel has.

Try again, I dare you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UGeNe)

Try again, I dare you.
    It will be stable if war breaks out.

ReputationRep:
    Bateman is right. You'd have to be a complete nub to rush to nuclear subs until you get ICBMs. Everyone who knows how to play Alpha centauri knows you rush to planet busters before you pick up nanometallurgy. In fact, you usually rush to self-aware machines too to pick up the countermeasures, which I am sure is what most of the western world is doing with the whole missile defence shield.

Oh, sorry, was this meant to be a serious geopolitical discussion? Doesn't the fact I've beaten Civ 4 on Warlord qualify me to comment?

Whilst I'm here poking fun at some of the egresses on this thread, I'd like to nominate the Bateman/dn013 "I'll see you on the other side of the battlefield" exchange as the biggest swell of macho bs I've ever seen on these forums.

P.S.
    You're right. But you must realise Iranian people are some of the smartest people in the world. Only recently they came top 5 in the math and biology olympiad and Iranian engineers are famous for their ability and skill. Even my personal tutor at uni (I study mech eng) is Iranian.
    Don't think that quite follows - success at the olympiads is correlated more to the resources the country drills into training its students than any sort of national 'innate intelligence.' The Bio olympiad tends to be dominated by the far east and the US, and I think similar applies to the Maths - interesting, most of europe doesn't do very well, besides the UK. Also, rankings can vary substantially year on year outside of the top cadre. When I was doing it a couple of years ago, the UK beat the Iranian team, which I think came somewhere in the 20's. We were only introduced to each other briefly, but they seemed like nice guys.

Iran does have an impressive reputation in certain fields of science (biophysics, I'm told), but I think it still lags far behind the UK or (certainly) the US in academic firepower. There are, of course, lots of clever Iranians, even if they don't seem to assume the presidency.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UGeNe)

Try again, I dare you.
    I can't tell if you're an anti-semite or an Israeli supporter by your posts...but i might be thinking of someone else.

ReputationRep:
    Did not know Yasmina was Iranian...
    Seems her father tried to help the UK understand Iranian culture though...

ReputationRep:
    Did not know Yasmina was Iranian...
    Seems her father tried to help the UK understand Iranian culture though...
    Polygamy is not "Iranian culture", genius.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Polygamy is not "Iranian culture", genius.
    Fine Islamic law. whatever.
    A country which govern by islamic law? Iran

I am not saying I understand Iranian culture merely that i do not really appreciate the guy's efforts to have Iranian Islamic law spread to this country

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, though it's by no means commonplace in Iran either, just because Iran has been cursed with an Islamic Republic for 30 years doesn't mean that Iranians are or have been foaming Wahhabites

ReputationRep:

I am not saying I understand Iranian culture merely that i do not really appreciate the guy's efforts to have Iranian Islamic law spread to this country

Please explain. I have always been confused by polygamy laws. We cannot have more than one wife, but i can have ten girlfriends, babies with ten women, i can marry a woman and have ten lovers.

If polygamy is illegal then surely adultery should be also... also how can a culture where its ok to have sex before marriage and as many girlfriends as you want... want to restrict how many wives you have.

This is a hypocritical law. Maybe the lawmakers should be consistant.

Laws are amde all the time and are changed all the time who cares if he tried to change alw and failed. If he was a white guy who was an MP you wouildn't care but because he is a muslim and Iranian somehow this is a big deal.

ReputationRep:

Please explain. I have always been confused by polygamy laws. We cannot have more than one wife, but i can have ten girlfriends, babies with ten women, i can marry a woman and have ten lovers.

If polygamy is illegal then surely adultery should be also... also how can a culture where its ok to have sex before marriage and as many girlfriends as you want... want to restrict how many wives you have.

This is a hypocritical law. Maybe the lawmakers should be consistant.

Laws are made all the time and are changed all the time who cares if he tried to change law and failed. If he was a white guy who was an MP you wouldn't care but because he is a muslim and Iranian somehow this is a big deal.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.