Turn on thread page Beta

Who here suffers from BDD? watch

ReputationRep:
    Yes diagnosed three years ago. I have been on meds and been in group therapy. The group stuff helped but the meds didn't (I wasn't responding and I got side effects) and my shrink took me off them. He said it's pretty difficult to help BDD with medication anyway. In group therapy I was put in with a load of rich alcholics and drug addicts , seeing their reactions to what my thoughts were was quite an experience. I am even mates with two of them to this day.

My parents are supportive, my mum especially.But I have had some experiences with people who do not understand.They either think Iam extremely vain and fishing for compliments or when I had a very bad time a few years ago when I performed surgery on myself,as unfortunately I saw a doctor that day who said the wrong thing so I felt as he couldn't get me surgery I would have to do it myself , barking mad.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently reading a book called 'the broken mirror' it's really good (in my opinion). It's sort of written for BDD sufferers, friends of sufferers and family of sufferers to make them understand the disorder more and how they can help, or what help is available. I've always thought I might suffer from some form of BDD (focussed mostly on my stomach) but it's not extreme, and only effects my social life once in a while, but impacts my relationship more. I bought the book in an attempt to understand the way I feel about myself. It might prove helpful for some of you to buy some form of book (whether it be this one or not) to give to your family/friends or whatever to make them understand what it is you need from them rather than them being unhelpful and saying 'stop being vain/stupid'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkaliengoo)
    I'm currently reading a book called 'the broken mirror' it's really good (in my opinion). It's sort of written for BDD sufferers, friends of sufferers and family of sufferers to make them understand the disorder more and how they can help, or what help is available. I've always thought I might suffer from some form of BDD (focussed mostly on my stomach) but it's not extreme, and only effects my social life once in a while, but impacts my relationship more. I bought the book in an attempt to understand the way I feel about myself. It might prove helpful for some of you to buy some form of book (whether it be this one or not) to give to your family/friends or whatever to make them understand what it is you need from them rather than them being unhelpful and saying 'stop being vain/stupid'.
    How so? I personally get extremely jealous. Even if a girl shows any interest I am convinced they're just pitying me or haven't noticed what they are getting themselves into. I can't hold a relationship because my jealousy and insecurity overcomes me. I'm convinced they can do better.

I'll check out that book, thanks =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Symbea)
    How so? I personally get extremely jealous. Even if a girl shows any interest I am convinced they're just pitying me or haven't noticed what they are getting themselves into. I can't hold a relationship because my jealousy and insecurity overcomes me. I'm convinced they can do better.

I'll check out that book, thanks =)
    It's not jealousy in my case. I feel like i'm completely unworthy of being with my boyfriend PURELY because of my stomach. When he touches me or goes anywhere near my stomach I flinch, feel sick, move him away, move away or get really upset. If I catch my reflection in the mirror and see my stomach poking out my mood completely deflates. If i'm with my friends I try to get over it, take my mind off of it, but if i'm with my boyfriend it just spirals because I don't think i'm good enough and I end up getting into this huge vicious circle...he tries to make me feel better, I reject everything and anything he says etc etc. Like I said, it doesn't happen all the time, but when it does...eek.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I've had it for.. maybe 7 years now. Since I started puberty and suddenly became conscious of how I look. I think the worst was a couple years ago; now I'm usually in control, I think partly because of the reassurance my bf provides. My issues lie with my nose, forehead, skin and hair. I rely on routine to deal with it.

It usually affects me most in crowded places like the city centre, because I feel everyone's eyes on me, or when I'm staying somewhere overnight. I'm going to Reading festival at the end of the month and I'm already feeling pretty anxious about not being able to wash my hair for four days!

(Original post by CinderellaDontGo)
    I do,

Its bad because it ruins everything. There was one point where I went home from college because I hated the way I looked, I haven't been diagnosed with it but pretty sure I have it.

Girls have told me I'm ''cute'' and people have said Im good looking but I cant see it myself.
    No help I know but those girls were right
    I've gone home from college too on a bad day.. actually there were periods where I didn't want to turn up in the first place. It definitely affected my A levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by staygoldd)
    I'm going to Reading festival at the end of the month and I'm already feeling pretty anxious about not being able to wash my hair for four days!
    Im going reading too, and im so worried about it incase i get a ''bad day'' when im there. It will ruin everything. I hate this, it controls your life.

(Original post by Mr_Deeds)
    It's really sad because like Anorexia, you see something which nobody else does.
    Not all anorexics experience distortion of how they see themselves. BDD is very often comorbid with anorexia (so many, many anorexics ALSO have BDD) but not always.

I suffer from BDD, was diagnosed a few years ago and I find this thread really interesting. I don't come across people discussing the illness very often so its nice to hear stories and support from others as people often don't understand. I find it so hard to explain to anyone because I'm scared of being perceived as vain.

I think I've improved over the last few years but sometimes it really does take control of my life. I've had times when I feel like I can't even leave the house because of the way I look. There was one time when I went to the gym with my boyfriend, and because my hair was tied back in a certain way I became convinced that everyone was staring at me because I looked so ugly and I had to go home. Its horrible - my boyfriend doesnt really understand either so my 'odd' behaviour about my appearance has caused problems in our relationship.

My main problem is with my skin/face - I'm freakishly pale and I worry that everyone thinks it looks ugly, so I won't leave the house unless I've applied fake tan. I also won't go out without a lot of makeup. It sounds so vain but its the complete opposite really. I used to suffer from severe anorexia in the past (it started when I was 9) and like others have said, the two are often linked.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Not all anorexics experience distortion of how they see themselves. BDD is very often comorbid with anorexia (so many, many anorexics ALSO have BDD) but not always.
    Indeed, it's the best analogy I can think of though. But I'm open to suggestions... :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by staygoldd)
    I've had it for.. maybe 7 years now. Since I started puberty and suddenly became conscious of how I look. I think the worst was a couple years ago; now I'm usually in control, I think partly because of the reassurance my bf provides. My issues lie with my nose, forehead, skin and hair. I rely on routine to deal with it.

It usually affects me most in crowded places like the city centre, because I feel everyone's eyes on me, or when I'm staying somewhere overnight. I'm going to Reading festival at the end of the month and I'm already feeling pretty anxious about not being able to wash my hair for four days!

No help I know but those girls were right
    I've gone home from college too on a bad day.. actually there were periods where I didn't want to turn up in the first place. It definitely affected my A levels.
    I guess you had a sneak peek at my profile, thanks. I had a look at yours aswell btw and you look fine honestly, if it makes you feel any better you're cute too. But I know what you mean about your BF helping you, I think if I had a GF it would help alot, sadly I'm useless with girls but thats a whole different kettle of fish lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkaliengoo)
    What's the book like. Does it help you to overcome BDD and get better?

I've been thinking of getting it for a while now, but have been really unsure if it will be a good thing or not.

ReputationRep:
    How do you get diagnosed with BDD.

I'm not saying that I want it, obviously. But I am convinced i've had it for so many years.

I've been to therapy and seen different people so many times, but I have never been diagnosed.
    It was mentioned once, but after that one time, never again.

I just want to be able to say, this is what I have, and then be able to get some effective help for it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 12, 2009
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.