Turn on thread page Beta

University clearing- september 2009 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    You can look on UCAS now to see if the courses are in Extra. Meaning they'll also be in clearing. There'll be an x next to the name of the course on the 2009 entry list of courses...

ReputationRep:
    well i checked ucas myself cos im in clearing, and i think what the guy that started this thread dont realise is that EVERY uni and course is listed in clearing on the ucas website, not just selected ones. looks like us people with grades are waiting til 20th like everyone else

ReputationRep:
    I love how people with no repping power are saying they'll rep the OP. Funny times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattman1352)
    well i checked ucas myself cos im in clearing, and i think what the guy that started this thread dont realise is that EVERY uni and course is listed in clearing on the ucas website, not just selected ones. looks like us people with grades are waiting til 20th like everyone else

I thought this too but if you look at Oxford/UCL they have no courses available. Maybe because they know they'll not have spaces, though.

I mean, Graphics at Reading and Southampton are on there and I doubt they'd have spaces...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choccielatte)
    You can look on UCAS now to see if the courses are in Extra. Meaning they'll also be in clearing. There'll be an x next to the name of the course on the 2009 entry list of courses...
    I ******* love you :yes:

ReputationRep:
    yeah my course was in extra

ReputationRep:
    On the night of Extra I sat up until 12pm and watched as Extra was activated, hundreds of courses were on there, including two Cambridge courses (Anglo Saxon and Norse and something else).

I sent e-mails straight away to every course that applied to me that I was interested in. Even St.A's for IR was there, however, by 9am the next day 3/4 of these courses went.

After a while, I received replies from some that I e-mailed saying that they were never in Extra and it was all a mistake on UCAS's part.

In short, whatever you see there now could well be totally inaccurate... Don't get your hopes up... Just wait!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I Wanna Be Adored)
    I ******* love you :yes:
    Thanks! :laugh:

I've been looking through it a fair bit!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BillyMarsh)
    On the night of Extra I sat up until 12pm and watched as Extra was activated, hundreds of courses were on there, including two Cambridge courses (Anglo Saxon and Norse and something else).

I sent e-mails straight away to every course that applied to me that I was interested in. Even St.A's for IR was there, however, by 9am the next day 3/4 of these courses went.

After a while, I received replies from some that I e-mailed saying that they were never in Extra and it was all a mistake on UCAS's part.

In short, whatever you see there now could well be totally inaccurate... Don't get your hopes up... Just wait!
    Mate, you've just **** on my parade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattman1352)
    but surely if some of their courses are not full, those spaces will be in clearing already yes?
    This is likely to be unknown in most cases. Don't forget that each university will have made several offers for every place it has available. At this stage it may be left with, say, 100 firm acceptances and 50 insurance acceptances for a course which has 125 places. It won't know until the results are published whether it has vacancies to fill.

There will be departments that haven't managed to make as many offers as they would have wished as well, of course, but these are likely to be in the minority.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choccielatte)
    You can look on UCAS now to see if the courses are in Extra. Meaning they'll also be in clearing.
    It doesn't mean that at all - there is not necessarily any such connection. Clearing is primarily about filling the shortfall caused by people who don't meet the offer requirements and this applies to most universities, especially those near the top of the tree.

ReputationRep:
    Clearing doesn't start until 20th August in England. The universities themselves don't know what courses they have available yet as they don't have results to know who has missed their offer. You can apply to an institution through clearing before 20th August, but like those who are applying after June 30th your application won't be considered until 20th August. I think mattman is probably right and that currently *all* university courses are listed. As has already been said you can use the Extra list as a guide, but it is only a guide and clearing may provide many more desirable options.

I'm closing this thread to stop any more requests for meaningless clearing requests, it's for your own good honest

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.