Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have considered doing medicine right away, but I am just not too sure I am passionate enough about it to be doing it my whole life. Personally, I would much rather prefer to study Biochemistry.

I wouldn't want to let go Medicine 100% though, and I heard quite a lot of people study Medicine after they finish their 3-year Biochem course. How exactly does this work? Is this still the same 5 year course? Do all universities offer this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwertie126)
    I have considered doing medicine right away, but I am just not too sure I am passionate enough about it to be doing it my whole life. Personally, I would much rather prefer to study Biochemistry.

I wouldn't want to let go Medicine 100% though, and I heard quite a lot of people study Medicine after they finish their 3-year Biochem course. How exactly does this work? Is this still the same 5 year course? Do all universities offer this?
    Should help
    http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/

ReputationRep:
    I missed my offer grades for medicine at alevel and went on to study biochemistry instead, before finally starting medicine this september.

It is indeed possible to take this route; however it is a LOT more expensive and time consuming to take the route if you have sufficient grades to study medicine at the first instance from alevel. You have the remaining summer and next year to try and gain as much experience as you can in a medical setting to know if its for you, and if worse comes to worse you change your mind after results day, then take a gap year ^^.

I had a lot of friends who were on the biochemistry course as a result of missing their medicine offers, or wanting to apply for medicine afterwards. Although there are quite a few of us who have been able to carry this through, i have a few friends who have simply missed their grades for medicine again on the degree or have then changed their minds over the years and have decided to stick with biochemistry and other sciences, or take a complete career change out of the sciences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McDull)
    I missed my offer grades for medicine at alevel and went on to study biochemistry instead, before finally starting medicine this september.

It is indeed possible to take this route; however it is a LOT more expensive and time consuming to take the route if you have sufficient grades to study medicine at the first instance from alevel. You have the remaining summer and next year to try and gain as much experience as you can in a medical setting to know if its for you, and if worse comes to worse you change your mind after results day, then take a gap year ^^.

I had a lot of friends who were on the biochemistry course as a result of missing their medicine offers, or wanting to apply for medicine afterwards. Although there are quite a few of us who have been able to carry this through, i have a few friends who have simply missed their grades for medicine again on the degree or have then changed their minds over the years and have decided to stick with biochemistry and other sciences, or take a complete career change out of the sciences.
    If it isn't meant to be, it isn't meant to be. What classification did you get - you need at least a 2:1 and relavent experience over an extended period of time in a clinical/medical setting.

Beware of how you are going to fund this degree - your concil will only fund your first degree plus one year, so you've got five years of self funding to do too

ReputationRep:
    I think the Medicine course for graduates with a science degree tends to be 4 years - I'm not sure that all unis that do Medicine offer this though.
    I am currently doing Biochemistry at uni too, as a result of getting no offers for Medicine when I applied through UCAS two years ago. I think this was probably partly to do with my lack of passion for doing the course and not being suited to it in terms of personality. So I would say that you should make sure that you are completely dedicated to studying Medicine before you apply, as I think this is important to the universities as competition for places is so great.

ReputationRep:

How did you find it getting to for medicine as a graduate? The competition (at least for the 4 year grad entry courses) is much greater isn't it... but did you actually find it incredibly hard work (or I guess, more so than if you were an undergrad) getting in?

Also, did you apply for only grad entry courses? Or for some normal 5 year ones?

Thanks =]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spacecam)
    Beware of how you are going to fund this degree - your concil will only fund your first degree plus one year, so you've got five years of self funding to do too
    to be honest, i only have myself to blame for missing my grades at alevel, but i guess its turned out to have its pros and cons. indeed funding is difficult, i stayed at home on my first degree, so i managed to save a bit there, and worked during a gap year full time as a hca. Its not a lot of pay, but should see me through first year of medicine. i'll have to worry about the other years a tad later ^^.

(Original post by Shayke)
    How did you find it getting to for medicine as a graduate? The competition (at least for the 4 year grad entry courses) is much greater isn't it... but did you actually find it incredibly hard work (or I guess, more so than if you were an undergrad) getting in?

Also, did you apply for only grad entry courses? Or for some normal 5 year ones?
    Im still on my lazy gap year atm, i worked as a HCA for 9 months and applyied as a grad with my biochemistry degree results. I applied to 5 year courses at bl (int/offer), kcl (int/rej), and ucl(rej), and warwick 4 yr (int/offer). I decided to stick with bl in london, for a mixture of financial and personal reasons, even though its an extra year.

However i did also apply whilst in my final year without my degree results in hand, and that didn't turn out too well, i only had one interview and messed that up.

From my own experience it is a LOT easier to apply with the results in hand, other than that i didnt really do anything different from when i applied at alevel i think.

ReputationRep:
    to be honest, i only have myself to blame for missing my grades at alevel, but i guess its turned out to have its pros and cons. indeed funding is difficult, i stayed at home on my first degree, so i managed to save a bit there, and worked during a gap year full time as a hca. Its not a lot of pay, but should see me through first year of medicine. i'll have to worry about the other years a tad later ^^.
    Having said that, do you then think that its probably better to do a gap year after a levels (providing you have the grades) to get enoug work experience and whatnot, rather than doing a degree and applying as a graduate.

I personally think a graduate will make a better doctor upon qualification, what with more life experience and other knowledge behind them. But do you feel its better to just take a year out after college to improve your application rather than doing a degree in say biochemistry and applying then as a grad?

Sorry for all the questions hehe, i just wanna research all the routes available to me...

ReputationRep:
    well definately, if you have the grades, then why not take a gap year and decide what you want to do? 3 years doing a degree you really don't enjoy is quite difficult (luckily i really enjoyed biochemistry, and even thought i would go into acadaemia, but working as a HCA really sealed the deal for me).

I might be a little bias, but i think i would make a better medical student now, than if i had went straight from alevel. This is more personal though, in the sense that i believe i was a really immature prat at 18, and didnt understand what was important to me, or even what studying hard actually meant until i got into uni. If i had made my offer at alevel i would have had an awfully hard time at med school. Meh, people mature at different rates, i feel a lot more ready now, though i sometimes wish i did make my grades then, so i won't be so old on graduating haha.

don't worry about the questions, if there is anything you want to ask about biochemistry as a course then feel free to ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwertie126)

Just do medicine and intercalate in Biochemistry. It's easy - you can do that at most universities that offer courses with a pre-clinical-clinical divide.

ReputationRep:
    hi there was just reading the thread and im due to start a biochemistry bsc at qmul in september and i was just wondering if you could give me any tips and adivise about the kind of books or topics that i should look in to. any help would be greatly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    I am in currently in year 12 in the I.B in Portugal. I am taking as my higher levels Chem, Bio and Geography. The other day I talked to the university and jobs advisor, telling her that I really wanted to do Medicine (WHICH WHAT I WANT TO DO). Anyways she tells me that to take Medicine this time of the year and next year and stuff... is very difficult and that after completing the 5 year course, there are no job postings and stuff... She told me then that there is a shortcut to this, she said that if I take Biochemistry then after the 3 year course I could take Medicine and start directly in the 4th year, she also tells that its better this way because i have a backup and support for entering the University and that even if I failed I could still work in Biochemistry stuff.
    My questions are:
    1. is it really true that I can take the course and then start medicine directly at the 4th year?
    2. Does it cost more?
    3. Do the universities actually accept you after doing biochemistry (even if it is not on the 4th year)?
    4. What other set backs are there?
    I hope you reply to this, I am really desperate to know and hope you can give me as much information.
    Thanks alot Raj.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, am Becky a Nigeria student studying biochemistry, I'm already in my 2nd year, bt I have interest in medicine, my question is, knowing dat I can do medicine for 4 yrs, which university can I apply in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rd950)
    Hey guys,
    I am in currently in year 12 in the I.B in Portugal. I am taking as my higher levels Chem, Bio and Geography. The other day I talked to the university and jobs advisor, telling her that I really wanted to do Medicine (WHICH WHAT I WANT TO DO). Anyways she tells me that to take Medicine this time of the year and next year and stuff... is very difficult and that after completing the 5 year course, there are no job postings and stuff... She told me then that there is a shortcut to this, she said that if I take Biochemistry then after the 3 year course I could take Medicine and start directly in the 4th year, she also tells that its better this way because i have a backup and support for entering the University and that even if I failed I could still work in Biochemistry stuff.
    My questions are:
    1. is it really true that I can take the course and then start medicine directly at the 4th year?
    2. Does it cost more?
    3. Do the universities actually accept you after doing biochemistry (even if it is not on the 4th year)?
    4. What other set backs are there?
    I hope you reply to this, I am really desperate to know and hope you can give me as much information.
    Thanks alot Raj.
    I assume that you're referring to studying medicine in the UK.

1. No. If you were to study a different degree first, for example biochemistry, and managed to achieve a 2:1 or a 1st, you could then apply for graduate entry medicine, which is a 4-year course. Graduate entry medicine is therefore only a year shorter than the standard 5-year medicine course, and is considerably more competitive.

2. A degree + graduate entry medicine costs more than just medicine.

3. Biochemistry is just as good as any other degree for somebody looking to apply for graduate entry medicine. Some graduate entry programmes do not discriminate based on degree - you could apply with a degree in English or music. However, other courses require a science-based degree, so by doing biochemistry, you would be keeping all your options open in terms of applying for graduate entry medicine.

4. The setbacks are obviously the increased time you will spend studying- biochemistry (3 years) + graduate entry medicine (4 years) + foundation years (2 years) + specialty training (I'm no expert on this, but between about 3 and 8 years I believe). Thus, about 12 - 17 years as opposed to about 10 - 15 years, assuming that you actually manage to be accepted for everything on your first attempt and you choose not to intercalate. Other disadvantages include the cost.

All in all, if you're set on doing medicine and you're looking for the easiest way to do it, completing a degree in biochemistry and then graduate entry medicine is effectively making unnecessary additional work for yourself. If you have the required grades for standard undergraduate medicine, I'd recommend applying for that from the get-go.

You can find more information about graduate entry medicine here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...cine_-_a_guide.

ReputationRep:
    well definately, if you have the grades, then why not take a gap year and decide what you want to do? 3 years doing a degree you really don't enjoy is quite difficult (luckily i really enjoyed biochemistry, and even thought i would go into acadaemia, but working as a HCA really sealed the deal for me).

I might be a little bias, but i think i would make a better medical student now, than if i had went straight from alevel. This is more personal though, in the sense that i believe i was a really immature prat at 18, and didnt understand what was important to me, or even what studying hard actually meant until i got into uni. If i had made my offer at alevel i would have had an awfully hard time at med school. Meh, people mature at different rates, i feel a lot more ready now, though i sometimes wish i did make my grades then, so i won't be so old on graduating haha.

don't worry about the questions, if there is anything you want to ask about biochemistry as a course then feel free to ask.
    Hey, I'm planning to take a biochem course at uni. I was just wondering what career paths there are after uni and what type of career or job are you personally thinking of after finishing the course. Would be really helpful to know. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hello i am a graduate of physics in nigeria, but i want to study medicine using direct entery how, please i need your advice if its a wise decision to make

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.