Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I am an international student. I got offers from:
    Bristol: MSc in Machine Learning and Data Mining.
    York: MSc in Software Engineering

My background:
    1. BS in CS
    2. 6 years of working experiences

Further plan (list in wishing priority below)
    1. PhD and being researcher
    2. Back to industries

Questions:
    1. Which is considering better reputation in world-leading perspective? I was confused by many different table and ranking from various media….(Frome what I read so far Bristol, seems have the better recognition?)
    2. In CS subject field, which is better or they are nearly close to each other?
    3. I did not have very outstanding undergraduate work and will this impact applying in PhD? (I hope to plan ahead while I am studying MSc. Target is to apply Cambridge.)

I submitted my application late in the beginning of July and it is kind of rushing to make decision now. Much appreciation if any suggestions and comments could be sharing over the schools or courses to be taking…

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    i think both are pretty on par for CompSci, but from an int'l student's perspective on perceptions of the unis outside of UK, i found that Bristol was more known than York.
    when i had to make the choice between the 2 unis, the ppl around me were mostly drawing blank stares & questions of whether it was any good when i mentioned York while Bristol got a more positive reaction. i guess Bristol's just more established in terms of int'l recognition than York, but then i do believe that York happens to be a "younger" uni compared to Bristol.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your sharing.. Did point out some obvious factors. Choices seems not hard to make now....

ReputationRep:
    no worries. all the best for your studies!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.