Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should women in false accuse men of rape go on the sex offenders register? Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...71091BC6209A6E

I think the prison term is about right considering rapists in this country do not serve a huge amount of time . .Personally I give rapists about 15 yrs in prison, minimum.But thats me.

Anyways back on to women who lie about rape. They should be put on the sex offenders register because while they did not physically touch the man the whole process of a false accusation to me is a sexual crime.And in a way it is a way for a woman to allow a man to feel what it is like to be raped I believe.

Firstly the man has to submit to several degrading examinations.That can be done without his consent. Secondly a false rape accusation can seriously effect a mans life In terms of what his family and friends think of him, people at work etc. People with talking about sexual crimes often think there is no smoke without fire.That goes for alleged rapists and those who make a complaint.He might well find it very difficult to be in a relationship again , certainly sleep with a woman he meets in say a pub or club. To trust women. Women who have been raped also have some of these issues. As well as children who have been abused.

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ministerdonut)
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...71091BC6209A6E

I think the prison term is about right considering rapists in this country do not serve a huge amount of time . .Personally I give rapists about 15 yrs in prison, minimum.But thats me.

Anyways back on to women who lie about rape. They should be put on the sex offenders register because while they did not physically touch the man the whole process of a false accusation to me is a sexual crime.And in a way it is a way for a woman to allow a man to feel what it is like to be raped I believe.

Firstly the man has to submit to several degrading examinations.That can be done without his consent. Secondly a false rape accusation can seriously effect a mans life In terms of what his family and friends think of him, people at work etc. People with talking about sexual crimes often think there is no smoke without fire.That goes for alleged rapists and those who make a complaint.He might well find it very difficult to be in a relationship again , certainly sleep with a woman he meets in say a pub or club. To trust women. Women who have been raped also have some of these issues. As well as children who have been abused.

Thoughts?
    You cannot really compare them now can you..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ßlαcksωαn)
    You cannot really compare them now can you..
    Just like some women are effected to different degree after being raped, so will some men who are falsely accused.Sometimes when a woman admits she lied quickly the man will be less effected but if she doesn't and it drags out.With court appearances, numerous Police interviews going into quite personal stuff, perhaps even having your own family doubt you even your wife or girlfriend. I would think it is extemely traumatic.

Unless you have been falsely accused or know someone who has and know what it feels like, how can you make a judgement?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    No. What a dumb suggestion. The woman has not sexually abused the man. She has done something reprehensible, even criminal, something that might destroy the man's confidence, damage his reputation and ruin his trust in others, but it's not sexual abuse. You'd be equally wise to call her a murderer, a racist or a thief - she's not any of those either.

ReputationRep:
    There should be a special category of defamation for this, if there isn't already.

Edit; lying ***** register?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    No. What a dumb suggestion. The woman has not sexually abused the man. She has done something reprehensible, even criminal, something that might destroy the man's confidence, damage his reputation and ruin his trust in others, but it's not sexual abuse. You'd be equally wise to call her a murderer, a racist or a thief - she's not any of those either.
    Nobody died, race may or may not be involved but it isn't by definition involved, and nothing was stolen.

Maybe not sexual ABUSE, but sexual harassment maybe? She certainly harassed him and the whole situation is very about sex.

Idk about this idea though... many women already have huge mental obstacles in the way of reporting rape; why add another? Not being believed is already a major fear, how would making it criminal help?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by BumperBo)
    She certainly harassed him and the whole situation is very about sex.
    I wouldn't call it harassment in that sense, really... but I don't really know, it's a slippery term.

I don't see what's wrong with "slander".

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't call it harassment in that sense, really... but I don't really know, it's a slippery term.

I don't think it counts as slander if you're trying someone for a crime... otherwise EVERY case would either have the defendant convicted or the prosecution guilty of slander...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by BumperBo)
    I don't think it counts as slander if you're trying someone for a crime... otherwise EVERY case would either have the defendant convicted or the prosecution guilty of slander...
    No, but cases like this are rarely conducted in private; I am assuming here that the man will be publicly accused of sexual assault (hence damage to his reputation and so on), and that would be slander. I dunno if that's an unfair assumption or not, really. It's what the OP seemed to be implying, to me.

ReputationRep:

No slander is peddling rumours about someones character or people related to them, accusing someone of rape is far more devious than that. Especially as the person becomes physically involved in terms of court cases etc etc Not the same thing tbf.
    Extreme defamation is an all rounder that should cover it.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by DaneCook)
    No slander is peddling rumours about someones character or people related to them, accusing someone of rape is far more devious than that. Especially as the person becomes physically involved in terms of court cases etc etc Not the same thing tbf.
    Extreme defamation is an all rounder that should cover it.
    Um. Isn't "defamation" just an umbrella term meaning "slander or libel"? And "extreme" is something you've just stuck on the front which doesn't have any legal meaning.

Slander includes accusations of crime and sexual misconduct.

ReputationRep:
    Um. Isn't "defamation" just an umbrella term meaning "slander or libel"? And "extreme" is something you've just stuck on the front which doesn't have any legal meaning.

Slander includes accusations of crime and sexual misconduct.
    Slander is spoken. I said defamation was an all rounder :rolleyes: as it covers, written (Statement given by the plaintiff), spoken (Accusations) and it also covers villifying accusations that erode the reputation of the defendant.

So what the **** are you on about?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    villify
    Yet another word for "defame".

So what the **** are you on about?
    You told me that false accusations of rape were too "devious" to be slander, which is moronic. Now you're saying you prefer the term defamation because these accusations might be written down. Fine, but nothing like what you said in your previous post.

ReputationRep:
    Yet another word for "defame".

You told me that false accusations of rape were too "devious" to be slander, which is moronic. Now you're saying you prefer the term defamation because these accusations might be written down. Fine, but nothing like what you said in your previous post.
    Why wouldn't you assume that the accusations would be written down? Are you a moron? IF you accuse someone of rape, you will be asked to give a written account of the incident. Is that so complex to grasp? :confused:

For the record, defamation is a blanket term that covers ORAL and WRITTEN. Don't be daft.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    IF you accuse someone of rape, you will be asked to give a written account of the incident.
    By who?! If you report them to the police, yes. And it'll go to court and be thrown out. The damage to the person's reputation is not done by telling the police, it's done by telling friends and family, and that doesn't tend to come written down. And like I said, I grant you that there are some circumstances where it might come written down, but that wasn't anything even vaguely like what you were prattling about in your first post.

For the record, defamation is a blanket term that covers ORAL and WRITTEN. Don't be daft.
    I know. I told you that. :confused:

Shut up now. You're derailing the thread and doing nothing other than repeating yourself and insulting me.

ReputationRep:
    By who?! If you report them to the police, yes. And it'll go to court and be thrown out. The damage to the person's reputation is not done by telling the police, it's done by telling friends and family, and that doesn't tend to come written down. And like I said, I grant you that there are some circumstances where it might come written down, but that wasn't anything even vaguely like what you were prattling about in your first post.

I know. I told you that. :confused:

Shut up now. You're derailing the thread and doing nothing other than repeating yourself and insulting me.
    Go back to my first post and fixate your eyes on the words 'ALL' and 'ROUNDER'.

What I was 'prattling' on about in my first post is what I'm saying now.
    Defamation covers ORAL and WRITTEN. So, you actually think accusing someone of rape and reporting it to the police means their families won't know about it? Are you simple?
    So one's reputation can only be eroded by telling their families? Or will the stigma attached to the publicity of such accusations inhibit them from progressing in the future?

Now you also say 'you grant there are circumstances where it might be written down'. Errr, yes, EVERY courtcase. Which is pretty much what this thread is about.

ReputationRep:
    Somehow I ended up following that link, and reading about Michael Jackson's supposed love-child...

Anyway, I agree that anonymity for the accused in rape trials may be a good idea, I would not however say that falsely accusing someone of rape is anything like actually being raped. Slander, perjury and of course wasting Police time are all the offences you need IMHO...

ReputationRep:
    is this thread actually serious :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Oh and don't forget that merely getting arrested for rape is going to end up landing you on the sex offenders register, even if nothing ever gets taken as far as court. So if say for instance a male teacher were to be falsely accused of rape, it would literally ruin their career...

ReputationRep:
    I think its a bit extreme to have them put on the sex offenders register, however something does need t be done.
    I once knew this guy who was accused of rape. I wouldn't say he was a friend as such but i'd met him a few times, pretty decent guy. However i did know the girl who was accusing him quite well. Anyway to cut a long story short, he was charged with sexual assault rather then rape for some reason. The girl had been saying for weeks how she'd been doing stuff with him, bragging in a sense because he was quite a bit older then us at the time. Then her mum found out, she cried rape.

This guy was training to be a teacher, obviously he couldn't continue with it, it messed his whole life up.

Obviously you can't put it on a par with rape. If a genuine sexual assault has occurred then the person should be punished without question. But the same goes for when a girl cries rape just because she may regret her actions, actions to which she consented at the time.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.