Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should women in false accuse men of rape go on the sex offenders register? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gjaykay)
    If the guy is proved innocent, I'd sling the girl in jail for a couple of years or make her pay tons to the guy.

I mean, nowadays, it's far too easy to for woman to just do that. Think about it, you could go into a club, meet some lass, have a few drinks, go to the bathroom and screw. Next day, bam shes saying you raped her.

That is not on. It's far too easy, because everyone'll just believe a cry girl, it makes me sick to be perfectly honest.
    Sick enough to want to actually rape them?!?!? Muahahahahahaha

Ok iJoke. I'm bored.

ReputationRep:
    Women who falsely accuse are sometimes sent to prison or have to undergo a compulsory psychiatric assessment, although this is often at the discretion of the judge. Maybe putting them on the sex offenders register is a step too far, but I see no problem in throwing people into prison if they are going to make false damaging accusations like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaneCook)
    Sick enough to want to actually rape them?!?!? Muahahahahahaha

Ok iJoke. I'm bored.
    lol touche,

That had me giggling

ReputationRep:
    Okay, firstly the register is not a random punishment, but a REGISTER, believe it or not, of people who pose a risk of sexually offending. Lying about someone is not a sexual offence.

Also, you DO realise that this would result in women who were actually raped but lost at court due to lack of evidence being put on the register...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny_777)
    Okay, firstly the register is not a random punishment, but a REGISTER, believe it or not, of people who pose a risk of sexually offending. Lying about someone is not a sexual offence.

Also, you DO realise that this would result in women who were actually raped but lost at court due to lack of evidence being put on the register...?
    Fairs fair. Guys get put on it even if they were innocent and couldn't prove it. If a girl can't prove it, she should go on it as well.

ReputationRep:
    Example situation -

A woman who works with children has been raped (let's say she's a teacher), she has been thinking about going to the police for a while but she isn't sure if she wants the added stress of a court case. Since quite some time has passed, there is very little evidence to prove she has been raped. If she should lose the court case from lack of evidence, she would go on the sex offenders register and lose her job - she therefore doesn't bother trying to prosecute and the rapist gets away scot free.

Fail.

ReputationRep:
    What's the Sex Offenders' Register for? Is it a "really bad people register"? Probably not. Surely if it's anything, it's a "don't-let-this-chap-work-in-a-school-cos-he'll-rape-your-five-year-olds-list". So you don't need falsely accusing women on it. There's no reason not to (say) let them work in schools.

They might accuse toddlers of rape, but such allegations are rarely taken seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW92)
    Example situation -

A woman who works with children has been raped (let's say she's a teacher), she has been thinking about going to the police for a while but she isn't sure if she wants the added stress of a court case. Since quite some time has passed, there is very little evidence to prove she has been raped. If she should lose the court case from lack of evidence, she would go on the sex offenders register and lose her job - she therefore doesn't bother trying to prosecute and the rapist gets away scot free.

Fail.
    You don't get convicted of false accusation just because the rape trial fails.

"Do you find the defendant guilty, or the accuser? Be sure to pick at least one."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ministerdonut)
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...71091BC6209A6E

I think the prison term is about right considering rapists in this country do not serve a huge amount of time . .Personally I give rapists about 15 yrs in prison, minimum.But thats me.

Anyways back on to women who lie about rape. They should be put on the sex offenders register because while they did not physically touch the man the whole process of a false accusation to me is a sexual crime.And in a way it is a way for a woman to allow a man to feel what it is like to be raped I believe.

Firstly the man has to submit to several degrading examinations.That can be done without his consent. Secondly a false rape accusation can seriously effect a mans life In terms of what his family and friends think of him, people at work etc. People with talking about sexual crimes often think there is no smoke without fire.That goes for alleged rapists and those who make a complaint.He might well find it very difficult to be in a relationship again , certainly sleep with a woman he meets in say a pub or club. To trust women. Women who have been raped also have some of these issues. As well as children who have been abused.

Thoughts?
    That's too light 15 years. Minimum I would do would be 20 years. I think 25 years is good. That way they are less likely to do it again. You have to learn to have respect for women. Rape in my opinion, is horrible, and is a kind of torture, physcially and emotionally and is using women to satisfy your desires. Even if a prostitute was raped, i'd still have sympathy, regardless of how much i hate prostitutes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
    You don't get convicted of false accusation just because the rape trial fails.

"Do you find the defendant guilty, or the accuser? Be sure to pick at least one."
    I don't understand - if a judge had to choose between the accuser and the defendant, and there was a lack of evidence or the defendant had been let off on a technicality then the judge would be obliged to pick the accuser. If there were any kind of punishment for "crying rape", it would deter real rape victims from coming forward.

ReputationRep:
    Probably but I reckon they should just be jailed for atleast a good 5 years lol

ReputationRep:
    I think the OP has a point- a false accusation of rape does seem to me to be a sexual crime. Especially if the accuser has a history of rape accusation. Sexual crimes do not need to be physical- if I sent disturbing sexual letters to a woman I could be charged with sexual harassment. A false, and public, accusation of rape is a pretty twisted sexual offence.
    • Section Leader
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Ministerdonut)
    There is an argument that such women who do falsely accuse men for a variety of reasons. are actually aiding rapists in avoiding facing the concequences of their actions in court. Because as has been mentioned in this thread several times just to ram the point home , convictions for rape are rather difficult to obtain as it is.

If people want to belittle what men who are falsely accused go through thats their right. It's not always the case that once the woman fess's up the guy gets his life back the same way it was. Being accused of something like rape can affect you in all kinds of employment situations.
    I am not saying that it didn't and I am not saying that sine if them haven't gone through an awful ordeal. However just because someone has gone through something horrible doesn't mean that putting the accuser on the sex offenders register is the correct punishment. As I have said I think that accusing someone of a serious crime when you just made it up is something which should be considered a serious offence and should be punished accordingly, I just don't believe that putting them on the sex offenders register is the appropriate course of action as it is there for a specific type of crime.

Rape is a sexual offence, I believe falsely accusing someone of it, forcing them to undergo medical examinations of their private parts without their consent (which are needed as evidence to help determine guilt/innocence), forcing them perhaps to reveal private medical history and also their sexual past to me is similar to sexual battery.Which is why women who do so, must I believe have their details made public knowledge as a mans is (whether he is guilty of rape or not) and must go on a sexual offences register.
    Firstly while I don't think that having an examination is going to be pleasant and I have no doubt that it would probably be a humiliating experience again I don't think that makes the woman who reported the crime is guilty of a sexual offence. I am not saying that she isn't guilty of some sort of offence just not a sexual one. Theoretically I could probably falsely report a number of crimes (drug possession etc) which could resort in someone potentially having to have a strip search and potential examination is that also something that you think should result in people going on the sex offenders register?

What exactly would you hope to gain by putting this woman on the sex offender register because I can't see any benefit. All I can see this doing is meaning that an already overworked system will have to keep track of even more people who aren't the same sort of risk as someone who is actually a rapist.

Perhaps such harsh measures would deter some women from making false accusations, which would mean people would be more likely to believe a woman who has been raped and secure more convictions of people who are rapists. As there would be less of these stories in public circulation. And people seem to think a not guilty verdict would mean a woman would go on such a register. It would be at the judges discretion to determine who does and who doesn't go on a register. Factors such as whether she has made repeated false accusations, malicious reasons for the accusations or if the false accusation is somewhat an aggravated one. For instance if the woman had the man sent to prison before it was discovered she made it up .
    I have no problems with there being a deterrent to discourage women or men for that matter who falsely accuse people of rape or any other serious offence. They have broken the law by doing so and they should be punished accordingly. The woman in the case that you linked I believe got a prison sentence.

I still don't really think that you have made the case why women who falsely accuse people on rape should be placed on the sex offenders register. As I have already said the system struggles to keep track of the people who are already on the register as it is (there was a big thing about it a few years ago). Adding these women to the list won't really have a benefit and could mean that less time is spent following up people who may commit rape.

So by all means have a punish ment to act as a deterrent just not the sex offenders register because it isn't really a suitable one.

EDIT: just to add I am talking about cases where the woman has admitted that she made it up (or something which makes it extremely clear that she made it up). I think that any sort of law like this would be have to be implemented very very carefully.

ReputationRep:
    They should be jailed.

But then again the man who was accused (falsely) will have to go through all sorts of humiliating medical exams because of the person. So maybe.

ReputationRep:
    The problem is with the system, with rape cases it seems that you are guilty 'til you are proven innocent (which is completely wrong in itself) and secondly even if you are acquitted your name still remains some what besmurched.

ReputationRep:
    they need to be branded on the forehead, to warn other men to stay away.

ReputationRep:
    Fairs fair. Guys get put on it even if they were innocent and couldn't prove it. If a girl can't prove it, she should go on it as well.
    What? You do realise that you are innocent until proven guilty, right? THere is no onus on the man to prove that he didn't rape someone. Rather, it's the other way round.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny_777)
    What? You do realise that you are innocent until proven guilty, right? THere is no onus on the man to prove that he didn't rape someone. Rather, it's the other way round.
    Thats what it's meant to be, but as already stated in this thread, in cases of rape and/or sexual assault of any kind, it's generally assumed that the guy is guilty 'till proven innocent

ReputationRep:
    Thats what it's meant to be, but as already stated in this thread, in cases of rape and/or sexual assault of any kind, it's generally assumed that the guy is guilty 'till proven innocent
    Spoiler:
    Show

Sexual Offences Act 2003

Part 1

Sexual Offences

Rape

1 Rape (1) A person (A) commits an offence if—
    (a) he intentionally penetrates the vagina, anus or mouth of another person (B) with his penis,
    (b) B does not consent to the penetration, and
    (c) A does not reasonably believe that B consents.
    (2) Whether a belief is reasonable is to be determined having regard to all the circumstances, including any steps A has taken to ascertain whether B consents.
    (3) Sections 75 and 76 apply to an offence under this section.
    (4) A person guilty of an offence under this section is liable, on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for life.

Society will generally take a guilty until innocent view; the guy might lose his job, friendships, family relationships or accomodation (if rented). The conviction rate for rape is still very low though, you have to prove the guy didn't believe the woman consented and that's pretty intangible.

I think people who are found to have deliberately and falsely accused others of rape should be put on the sex offenders register. The stigma of the accusation can absolutely destroy lives. If I were an employer I'd really like to know if a potential employee had a history of this type of offence.

ReputationRep:
    No it's not.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.