Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Thailand watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Thinking of going to Thailand in August but not 100% sure just yet.

I don't enjoy and don't want to put up with staying in bad accommodation, must be clean, i don't enjoy going to heavily tourist-ised places where you just get herded round with a load of people who find it 'amazing' going around and seeing the most cliche sights with some rip off tour company, where the employees only care about getting your money... i hate that... want to be exploring things for myself, being shown around by locals, i want to be able to experience some of the culture (the food, meet the real people who arent just there to take your money (and generally part of the local mafia in the touristy places), etc) and to be in places where the main activity isnt just lying on a beach during the day and then getting drunk at night. I really have got sick of the big drinking thing, so I don't know what most guys travelling out there my age are like (20 years old) but if that's the main thing they are doing then I am not really interested.

My massive worry is that if i go there, and especially places like Ko Phangan, i will find it is just a place older people go to have a beach holiday on the cheap... sort of like some of those greek islands where people go clubbing... that is just the worst possible thing that i could do with my summer!

Also from mates who have been it kind of sounds like its just a place to go partying which i dont want to do.

And finally, if thats what most younger people are doing, i dont want to be going around with a load of old people as i am still into having a laugh and all that, just absolutely sick of drinking/drugs!

If anyone has been please give me some info about this place and if I should be going or not!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rozzr)
    Thinking of going to Thailand in August but not 100% sure just yet.

I don't enjoy and don't want to put up with staying in bad accommodation, must be clean, i don't enjoy going to heavily tourist-ised places where you just get herded round with a load of people who find it 'amazing' going around and seeing the most cliche sights with some rip off tour company, where the employees only care about getting your money... i hate that... want to be exploring things for myself, being shown around by locals, i want to be able to experience some of the culture (the food, meet the real people who arent just there to take your money (and generally part of the local mafia in the touristy places), etc) and to be in places where the main activity isnt just lying on a beach during the day and then getting drunk at night. I really have got sick of the big drinking thing, so I don't know what most guys travelling out there my age are like (20 years old) but if that's the main thing they are doing then I am not really interested.

My massive worry is that if i go there, and especially places like Ko Phangan, i will find it is just a place older people go to have a beach holiday on the cheap... sort of like some of those greek islands where people go clubbing... that is just the worst possible thing that i could do with my summer!

Also from mates who have been it kind of sounds like its just a place to go partying which i dont want to do.

And finally, if thats what most younger people are doing, i dont want to be going around with a load of old people as i am still into having a laugh and all that, just absolutely sick of drinking/drugs!

If anyone has been please give me some info about this place and if I should be going or not!
    You shouldn't be going.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FiveFiveSix)
    You shouldn't be going.
    Could you expand on that at all??

Thanks.

Rory

ReputationRep:
    DO NOT GOT TOO THAILAND!.

Everything you described that you don't like about traveling happened to me when i went and my trip was a fairly average trip. It sounds like you should go to somewhere in Europe, America or Australia because in a western city you wont find as many people trying to "take your money" and the hotels will be consistently better.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I agree lol, don't go to Thailand. You might like neighbouring Cambodia, but Siem Reap is super touristy. But you can go into the countryside, meet locals etc quite easily. Or Laos is less touristy. Everywhere in SE Asia (that I went at least) people try to scam you a lot, you always have to be careful/wary. Also isn't it the rainy season in August? If you don't like to sleep in any room but the best you won't like it. When I went to Koh Chang I stayed in a bungalow hut thingy that didn't have a flush on the toilet and you could see the grass underneath thru the cracks of the wood and stuff and it was all good.. Well maybe not the flush lol. I'd have liked a flush. But yeah, doesn't sound like you'd like Thailand. Like I said, Laos/Cambodia are a bit less touristy, you can probably get out into the country and meet locals/stay with them/etc but people will still try to scam you at least in the cities,and the accommodation isn't always gonna be 5*.

Edit: I just came back from a trip round Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam so if you wanna know anything else quote me and I'll reply. Also, certain islands in Thailand will be how you described- people sunbathing in the day and partying all night, BUT there are soooo many islands, Koh Chang had some nice cute little bars but I didn't notice anyone getting wasted. How would you like the spend the day time? And I know what you mean about herds of tourists, but you don't have to go around with them or join them.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you go to Malaysia. You can go to a place called Sarawak, it has some world-renowned national parks...the local people there preserve their culture and are proud of it...the food (AMAZING)...if you like to explore and enjoy extreme sports, malaysia is the place for you.

Lol sounds like i'm promoting the place, well actually im half malay and i always go there for summer. I would also recommend you to go to an island called Tioman island...there are many surrounding islands where you can hire a boat and explore your self. Its not a very developed place (i.e. few tourists) but the accomadation is amazing...very clean.

Check out the official website.

ReputationRep:
    Plus its just south of Thailand =)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot for all the info guys, that is really really useful.

(Original post by rakata)
    Yeah, I agree lol, don't go to Thailand. You might like neighbouring Cambodia, but Siem Reap is super touristy. But you can go into the countryside, meet locals etc quite easily. Or Laos is less touristy. Everywhere in SE Asia (that I went at least) people try to scam you a lot, you always have to be careful/wary. Also isn't it the rainy season in August? If you don't like to sleep in any room but the best you won't like it. When I went to Koh Chang I stayed in a bungalow hut thingy that didn't have a flush on the toilet and you could see the grass underneath thru the cracks of the wood and stuff and it was all good.. Well maybe not the flush lol. I'd have liked a flush. But yeah, doesn't sound like you'd like Thailand. Like I said, Laos/Cambodia are a bit less touristy, you can probably get out into the country and meet locals/stay with them/etc but people will still try to scam you at least in the cities,and the accommodation isn't always gonna be 5*.

Edit: I just came back from a trip round Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam so if you wanna know anything else quote me and I'll reply. Also, certain islands in Thailand will be how you described- people sunbathing in the day and partying all night, BUT there are soooo many islands, Koh Chang had some nice cute little bars but I didn't notice anyone getting wasted. How would you like the spend the day time? And I know what you mean about herds of tourists, but you don't have to go around with them or join them.
    Thanks a lot for all that info, the sort of thing which appeals to me most when going to one of these sort of countries is doing something like a trip across the country on motorbikes or something - like they did on top gear one time in Vietnam - just doing something a bit different and with a real sense of adventure to it and being able to go places where the locals have barely even seen westerners before, and that sort of thing which is just amazing to do.

I basically just want to be seeing some of the real country, not the tourist traps, and really do something different to what everyone does. Still I would certainly still take part in all the normal things along the way like diving, water sports, jungle trek, etc... (anywhere with tarantulas i am avoiding though!!!!!! haha)

I'm not sure about the accomodation thing, if i was staying in bigger cities and things i'd want to be in places sort of like their equivalent to travel lodges or something, just basic but fine for staying in if you know what i mean! If i was out and about in less developed places i guess there would be guest houes or something which may be ok?

The main advantage of going to Thailand was that one of my friends is going with a group of his mates from uni and i was thinking about tagging along, though i don't think it is really going to be to my tastes.

Malaysia is actually somewhere else i considered, as was Vietnam, but i can't help but feel it would be far more enjoyable to go with a friend rather than on my own as it might get pretty lonely and would be way better to be able to share the experience with someone else, especially someone you can have a laugh with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dreamoutloud)
    Why don't you go to Malaysia. You can go to a place called Sarawak, it has some world-renowned national parks...the local people there preserve their culture and are proud of it...the food (AMAZING)...if you like to explore and enjoy extreme sports, malaysia is the place for you.

Lol sounds like i'm promoting the place, well actually im half malay and i always go there for summer. I would also recommend you to go to an island called Tioman island...there are many surrounding islands where you can hire a boat and explore your self. Its not a very developed place (i.e. few tourists) but the accomadation is amazing...very clean.

Check out the official website.
    will check it out, thanks.

my dad actually has a factory sort of setup near Ipoh and i was going to be there for a bit this summer, but wanted to go somewhere with friends instead!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rozzr)
    Could you expand on that at all??

Thanks.

Rory
    Heh, it's a lot easier just to refer to all the reasons you've stated.

Yes, you can go to a small village in the South and never see another farang, and live in peace and solitude for a while, but realistically, it's not going to happen. Unlike most of the people that you'll talk to who have trekked through it, or spent a few weeks there, I've lived there. It was the most amazing, and most painful experience of my life. Honest advice? Don't do it.

ReputationRep:
    Heh, it's a lot easier just to refer to all the reasons you've stated.

Yes, you can go to a small village in the South and never see another farang, and live in peace and solitude for a while, but realistically, it's not going to happen. Unlike most of the people that you'll talk to who have trekked through it, or spent a few weeks there, I've lived there. It was the most amazing, and most painful experience of my life. Honest advice? Don't do it.

.. painful? whaaatt?

as a local who's lived here for 16 years, i'd say don't come here unless you plan to go to some remote place where there arent many tourists, which then kills good accommodation. you cant have everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rozzr)
    will check it out, thanks.

my dad actually has a factory sort of setup near Ipoh and i was going to be there for a bit this summer, but wanted to go somewhere with friends instead!
    If i was you...go to Ipoh for a while, then you can go round malaysia with friends perhaps? Anyway where ever you go, have a great time.

...And yep i agree, you really should go with a friend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pitchayak)
    .. painful? whaaatt?

as a local who's lived here for 16 years, i'd say don't come here unless you plan to go to some remote place where there arent many tourists, which then kills good accommodation. you cant have everything.
    Between getting stung by a jellyfish and getting blood poisoning, smashing my knee up and watching the girl I loved shag all my mates, break my heart and do lots of crystal meth, it was a pretty painful experience :p: Those are just the highlights mind you.

Anyway, I lived in Pattaya. Possibly not the best representation of Thailand, sadly.

ReputationRep:
    FiveFiveSix why are you painting such a negative picture lol

As you can probably guess, I completely disagree because I'm exactly the same as you and loved Thailand. I didn't think I'd like the south, and I didn't. It is very alcohol and beach bum orientated so I spent barely any time there at all (its also pretty expensive comparatively).

OK in Thailand, it is true there is a huge amount of tourists, and you can't escape them. However, it doesn't make the experience any less because they are present.

* Use local transport. This means avoiding taxis and using buses when possible inside cities. If you ever get lost TALK and ask people for help. Don't use tourist buses to get around the country, use TRAINS and local THAI buses when trains aren't available. Don't use the express trains use the local trains.
    * If you can spend less money, do so, as this is probably where you will find local people. If something is expensive you can be damn sure the reason its expensive is because its aimed towards tourists.
    * Avoid the tourist circuit with the exception of Bangkok. This generally means Chiang Mai / Rai & the south. You can't realistically miss Bangkok because some of the countries best sites are there, and you can't go to Thailand without seeing them. Avoid Bam lamphu in Bangkok, but visit Khaosan Road at least once [Your probably better off staying in Sukhumvit - this place is highly highly highly recommended throughout the net - book in advance]

I think of all the countries I've been to Thailand was the one country where I experienced the culture the most. I got close to discovering the real Thailand while I was there. Plus, I went to China which has considerably less tourists, and experienced the country far less. You will find the Thais are such nice people their always up for a chat, and most peoples English isn't too bad either.

Seriously, you will love the country.

ReputationRep:
    do the brothels, Pattaya, bang some birds, then get the hell out.

or go to superior Indonesia

ReputationRep:
    Between getting stung by a jellyfish and getting blood poisoning, smashing my knee up and watching the girl I loved shag all my mates, break my heart and do lots of crystal meth, it was a pretty painful experience :p: Those are just the highlights mind you.

Anyway, I lived in Pattaya. Possibly not the best representation of Thailand, sadly.
    WHOA DUDE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    FiveFiveSix why are you painting such a negative picture lol
    I'm not. I loved Thailand, and the Thai people are some of the nicest, most friendly, generous and decent people I've ever met.

I just think that from what the OP says, it's not for him, or at least, not the usual tourist traps. Basically, just stay away from BK/Pattaya.

ReputationRep:
    Ok cool, well sorry to hear about your time 556!!

Anyway, i just booked a ticket from 6th Aug to 6th Sept as i can't find anything else worth doing, and i've gotta go check out some of the rest of the world!

I'm going to head up to chiang mai for sure, i've heard good things about from my mate who is into similar things to me. Are there any other good places worth going to that y'all would recommend?

Cheers

Rory

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rozzr)
    Ok cool, well sorry to hear about your time 556!!

Anyway, i just booked a ticket from 6th Aug to 6th Sept as i can't find anything else worth doing, and i've gotta go check out some of the rest of the world!

I'm going to head up to chiang mai for sure, i've heard good things about from my mate who is into similar things to me. Are there any other good places worth going to that y'all would recommend?

Cheers

Rory
    Doi Inthanon - highest peak.
    Doi Suthep - there's a temple at the top and you gotta climb like 200 steps to get there. lots of tradition and blah.
    Whitewater Rafting - this season is a bit meh but i've been there on the Mae Taeng it's good fun.
    Night Bazaar - lots of cheap stuff, but lots of tourists as well
    Orchid & Butterfly Farms - they're nice.
    I think there are some hot springs somewhere you can boil eggs in..
    Find hilltribe villages
    and waterfalls

i think that's all, really.

Bangkok's really not bad if you go to all the right places! Just get lost in the city and get a cab back to the hotel at teh end of the day.

and 556 - ahh sorry, that sucks -but hey its Pattaya. typical.

ReputationRep:
    Central plains - Ayutthaya, Sukhothai, Phitsanulok

Agree with dude above Doi Suthep was nice, in Chiang Mai I believe?

Few nice nature reserves I wish I had time to visit

Kanchanaburi

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 21, 2009
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.