Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What some of you guys say is very worrying to me. I'm going to get my vaccinations in an hour, and will be booking my flight probably this week.

I actually don't mind doing a little bit of a beach/drinking trip whilst i'm there, but only for a little while, obviously gonna do the moon party, but i'm just worried I won't even feel like travelling.
    I'm so close to just jacking off to somewhere like Buenos Aires instead, but it would cost at least £500 more, and I wouldn't be able to do as many activities and see as many things.

rozzr, if I see a big white bear i'll know it's you.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot for the info guys, all sounds good and ill look into the things and try fit them in to my trip.

(Original post by Arteta)
    What some of you guys say is very worrying to me. I'm going to get my vaccinations in an hour, and will be booking my flight probably this week.

I actually don't mind doing a little bit of a beach/drinking trip whilst i'm there, but only for a little while, obviously gonna do the moon party, but i'm just worried I won't even feel like travelling.
    I'm so close to just jacking off to somewhere like Buenos Aires instead, but it would cost at least £500 more, and I wouldn't be able to do as many activities and see as many things.

rozzr, if I see a big white bear i'll know it's you.
    Haha nice, i get my vaccinations tommorow, forgot about them when i booked my flight for next week LOL!

That sounds sorta like what i wanna do man! If you want we should meet up out there and go hit some of the things up together so that we can split costs and might be fun too! Like i wanna hire a 4x4 out there and go on a road trip around Chiang Mai to go see a load of things that you don't get to see so much if you stick to the tours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FiveFiveSix)
    Between getting stung by a jellyfish and getting blood poisoning, smashing my knee up and watching the girl I loved shag all my mates, break my heart and do lots of crystal meth, it was a pretty painful experience :p: Those are just the highlights mind you.

Anyway, I lived in Pattaya. Possibly not the best representation of Thailand, sadly.
    Was she a Thai?

(Original post by rozzr)
    Haha nice, i get my vaccinations tommorow, forgot about them when i booked my flight for next week LOL!

That sounds sorta like what i wanna do man! If you want we should meet up out there and go hit some of the things up together so that we can split costs and might be fun too! Like i wanna hire a 4x4 out there and go on a road trip around Chiang Mai to go see a load of things that you don't get to see so much if you stick to the tours.
    Awesome, if I do choose to go to SEA (I'm split between that and Argentina at the moment, it'll probably be SEA) then that sounds cool. I'm thinking about buying a motorbike over there and travelling overland to Vietnam, I need to research this though, i've been warned not to because they're awful drivers, but I just watched the Top Gear episode when they ride in Vietnam!!
    I will probably go to Chiang Mai too, are you gonna use gyms out there?

ReputationRep:
    Was she a Thai?
    Hell no. I'm not one of those farangs who fell in 'love' with some bargirl only for her to fleece him silly. She was a Brit who came out to stay with me, but the less said about that, the better.

ReputationRep:
    Yea, seriously, don't fall for the Thai women - thats seriously bad news.

Arteta the traffic is crazy, especially in Vietnam, but I didn't see any major crashs ^^ Especially at the cross roads where lights are non extent - everyone just drives at once into the centre and theres a massive mess.

ReputationRep:
    Awesome, if I do choose to go to SEA (I'm split between that and Argentina at the moment, it'll probably be SEA) then that sounds cool. I'm thinking about buying a motorbike over there and travelling overland to Vietnam, I need to research this though, i've been warned not to because they're awful drivers, but I just watched the Top Gear episode when they ride in Vietnam!!
    I will probably go to Chiang Mai too, are you gonna use gyms out there?
    Oh man, yeah i saw that episode the other day when i was looking for some wicked adventure to do and it looks SO cool!!!! hahah.

But just to be safe that's why im gonna go for a 4x4 and road trip it about haha.

Hm, i dunno i may go a few times when im out there just to maintain and try not to lose too much strength, but certainly won't be going much!! lol

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Ewan]Yea, seriously, don't fall for the Thai women - thats seriously bad news. [QUOTE]

gee thanks. dont fall for the bar girls or anyone who looks remotely ******.

"But just to be safe that's why im gonna go for a 4x4 and road trip it about haha"

..in Chiang Mai? really?

get a good car.

that can go up mountains and all that.

or else its not going to be "safe" at all.

ReputationRep:
    Hell no. I'm not one of those farangs who fell in 'love' with some bargirl only for her to fleece him silly. She was a Brit who came out to stay with me, but the less said about that, the better.
    I didn't think you would be one of those, sucks to hear about your girlfriend though.

(Original post by Ewan)
    Yea, seriously, don't fall for the Thai women - thats seriously bad news.

Arteta the traffic is crazy, especially in Vietnam, but I didn't see any major crashs ^^ Especially at the cross roads where lights are non extent - everyone just drives at once into the centre and theres a massive mess.
    Dude, I'm not into those kind of girls anyway. Plus, i'm not that stupid.

I actually wouldn't ride in the cities if I can help it, i'm thinking more of riding across the country. Is it safe to cross borders on bike? I suppose my worry here would be the higher risk of disease though.

(Original post by pitchayak)
    gee thanks. dont fall for the bar girls or anyone who looks remotely ******.

"But just to be safe that's why im gonna go for a 4x4 and road trip it about haha"

..in Chiang Mai? really?

get a good car.

that can go up mountains and all that.

or else its not going to be "safe" at all.
    haha don't be offended, I don't think he means every girl from Thailand. You know the type he's talking about.
    Are cars expensive to buy? Just something mediocre, not a new one.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't think you would be one of those, sucks to hear about your girlfriend though.
    Just goes to show you don't need to be a Thai bargirl to completely **** some poor ******* over :p: Heh, I got over it. But thanks, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Just goes to show you don't need to be a Thai bargirl to completely **** some poor ******* over :p: Heh, I got over it. But thanks, anyway.
    Well, women are the inferior species, they can't control themselves when it comes to screwing somebody over. It's like moth to a flame.

I booked my flights today. I am flying into Bangkok in 3 weeks. I'll get 6 weeks to go nuts out there.

ReputationRep:
    cars? well probably not that expensive considering you're coming from the UK and its bloody expensive up there. what about renting? or idk hire a driver. i did that when i went to chiang mai. might have language issues as well.

be careful what you buy. chances are there is another one of those things for a cheaper price somewhere else in the area.

things aren't THAT dirty, i don't know why all the American tourists brush their teeth with bottled water. honestly.

and lol at teh inferior species. after all, eve did screw adam over...

ReputationRep:
    Don't get a car, get a bike, and what do you mean "increased risk of disease"? Don't you mean "increased risk of dying in colossal road accident"? You can cross borders on a bike, I don't know how the logistics work though.

You will have to bike around towns. I would try and find someone whos done it before to get some advise. The traffic is crazy, but people are used to moving out of the way. This means crossing the road is actually relatively easy, however I should imagine biking is hard for someone that isn't used to that kind of traffic. Vietnam has the most busiest traffic of all SEA by the way, and you will see very very few cars there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pitchayak)
    cars? well probably not that expensive considering you're coming from the UK and its bloody expensive up there. what about renting? or idk hire a driver. i did that when i went to chiang mai. might have language issues as well.

be careful what you buy. chances are there is another one of those things for a cheaper price somewhere else in the area.

things aren't THAT dirty, i don't know why all the American tourists brush their teeth with bottled water. honestly.

and lol at teh inferior species. after all, eve did screw adam over...
    Ha, one does it then they all want to screw over men :p:. Well we wouldn't know if the water is contaminated or not, i'm going to use bottled water unless i'm told it's safe in certain areas. I've had to do it in other parts of the world, and they weren't in tropical conditions. Besides, Americans think anywhere that isn't America is living under dirty primitive conditions.

(Original post by Ewan)
    Don't get a car, get a bike, and what do you mean "increased risk of disease"? Don't you mean "increased risk of dying in colossal road accident"? You can cross borders on a bike, I don't know how the logistics work though.

You will have to bike around towns. I would try and find someone whos done it before to get some advise. The traffic is crazy, but people are used to moving out of the way. This means crossing the road is actually relatively easy, however I should imagine biking is hard for someone that isn't used to that kind of traffic. Vietnam has the most busiest traffic of all SEA by the way, and you will see very very few cars there.
    Haha sorry I guess I was in a thought pattern of my own there, I was imagining those maps that the NHS have online that highlight certain areas (mainly borders) on where you're most likely to catch certain diseases. My thoughts were that if i'm crossing the border i'll be going into very rural areas where there's an increased chance bumping into rabid animals, if I had an accident there's less chance of being spotted.

I don't think i'll do it between countries, certainly not alone.

I imagine it would be harder in a car when trying to manoeuvre through the city then.

ReputationRep:
    Haha sorry I guess I was in a thought pattern of my own there, I was imagining those maps that the NHS have online that highlight certain areas (mainly borders) on where you're most likely to catch certain diseases. My thoughts were that if i'm crossing the border i'll be going into very rural areas where there's an increased chance bumping into rabid animals, if I had an accident there's less chance of being spotted.

I don't think i'll do it between countries, certainly not alone.

I imagine it would be harder in a car when trying to manoeuvre through the city then.
    Malaria mostly is what your referring to, and its because the country your going into has malaria but not the one your coming from. You'll find it at all Thai borders except Malaysia. It's nothing to worry about, and avoiding the border won't make a difference cause your still going to be entering a country with Malaria (risk in all parts of Cambodia and Laos).

No you won't, you'll be on highways with loads of vehicles. Border areas are the most traffic intensive areas throughout most countries for obvious reasons. Thailand has modern tarmac, as does Cambodia for the most part. Laos is rather limited as far as roads go, and I'd advise not biking there if you can avoid it.

It's not like America or other large countries where the countryside is mostly deserted, there is always someone about, and chances of not being spotted anywhere is extremely unlikely (unless you get lost in the middle of the jungle). Rabid animals? Now your just worrying yourself unnecessarily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    Malaria mostly is what your referring to, and its because the country your going into has malaria but not the one your coming from. You'll find it at all Thai borders except Malaysia. It's nothing to worry about, and avoiding the border won't make a difference cause your still going to be entering a country with Malaria (risk in all parts of Cambodia and Laos).

No you won't, you'll be on highways with loads of vehicles. Border areas are the most traffic intensive areas throughout most countries for obvious reasons. Thailand has modern tarmac, as does Cambodia for the most part. Laos is rather limited as far as roads go, and I'd advise not biking there if you can avoid it.

It's not like America or other large countries where the countryside is mostly deserted, there is always someone about, and chances of not being spotted anywhere is extremely unlikely (unless you get lost in the middle of the jungle). Rabid animals? Now your just worrying yourself unnecessarily.
    I wouldn't say i'm getting worried unneccessarily, I don't get worried about a lot, including rabies, but going to very sparsely populated areas where it's more likely to be caught. I understand there's a low chance of even seeing a rabid animal, less of a chance it will attempt to bite me, but I guess i'm just a little scared of the unknown. I also know that the price for rabies jabs reflects the little need for it, so i'm not worried about getting it that much.

What happens if I'm on my bike travelling to Cambodia, and it's evening, I need somewhere to stay, but i'm only coming across villages. Do I just pop in and attempt to use my phrasebook to ask for somebody to put me up in exchange for money?

Is it easy to navigate the country? I imagine the signposts aren't exactly up to our standards, but If I have a plan of going from city to city in the hope of a more long term destination then is it difficult?

Aslo, is it worth getting a tent? I don't intend to camp anywhere, but still as a backup do you think it's worth it?

Sorry for the million questions, I have a lot to find out I guess.

ReputationRep:

What happens if I'm on my bike travelling to Cambodia, and it's evening, I need somewhere to stay, but i'm only coming across villages. Do I just pop in and attempt to use my phrasebook to ask for somebody to put me up in exchange for money?

Is it easy to navigate the country? I imagine the signposts aren't exactly up to our standards, but If I have a plan of going from city to city in the hope of a more long term destination then is it difficult?

Aslo, is it worth getting a tent? I don't intend to camp anywhere, but still as a backup do you think it's worth it?

most signposts have English on them. it shouldn't be that hard.

you don't need a tent. if you're gonna buy one, buy one in bkk.

most people in the countryside in both thailand and cambodia etc. are hospitable (i think at least?) so it should be okay. just smile alot.

we love tourists.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say i'm getting worried unneccessarily, I don't get worried about a lot, including rabies, but going to very sparsely populated areas where it's more likely to be caught. I understand there's a low chance of even seeing a rabid animal, less of a chance it will attempt to bite me, but I guess i'm just a little scared of the unknown. I also know that the price for rabies jabs reflects the little need for it, so i'm not worried about getting it that much.

All I'll say is, don't worry about it.

You drive into the village, stand around till dark, and with all likelyhood someone will come up and make the sleep jesture to you. By this mean putting two hands together, place them at the right side of their head and tilting to the right slightly. Personally though, I'd make sure I was always in a town by nightfall.

Signposts on major highways are in English but not in smaller villages. Honestly though your not likely to go off the major roads anyway

No, and don't take a sleeping bag either. Do get a silk sleeping sack though

ReputationRep:
    You will be fine. Thailand has tourist areas and also very cultural unspoilt arears too. I visited both, and even lived with Thai people I met.
    Thai people are very friendly towards "rich farang"... they will do a lot for you. For example we were 45km up a mountain in a jeep we rented and run out of fuel. No petrol station anywhere within 45km so we approached some locals to find out what we could do. They pumped fuel out of their truck for us to buy from them, yes for a little more than what it would cost from the gas station but nothing compaired to what we pay in the UK.

It's very busy on the roads but I felt safe both driving a Hilux Vigo in both the cities (chiang mai) and on the open road into the country. Also motorbikes are fine, people move out of your way etc.

One tip, you can buy anything in Thailand if you have money. If you have money you will never sleep on the street or not be able to get home etc...

ReputationRep:
    Don't go to Thailand?!?

Whoever is saying this is completely ridiculous.

I lived in Bangkok for seven years and it was amaaaaazing!

Thailand is such a versatile country, you'll find something for you.

Go to Bangkok. It has a lot of lovely hotels. There are a lot of tourists but in most capital cities at that time of year you have to accept that. Head to Chatuchak Market and Naraya Phand for a taste of the culture. Go by the river. Khao San is full of tourists and clubbing at night but in the day it can be very interesting.

Ko Samet is a nice beach place without it being ridiculously tacky. Tack is Pattaya. Don't go there, it's really seedy and just generally not a nice place.

If you want to interact and integrate with the locals, head somewhere north like Chiang Mai and go camping near a village. The local hilltribes are generally very welcoming.

Thailand is an amazing country, but you also have to approach it with caution. Always be aware of what you are doing.

Have fun.

Please do not listen to those dismissing the country!

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou pitchayak and Ewan, I don't know what a silk sleeping sack is, but i'll find out

(Original post by turn_the_page_day_by_day)
    You will be fine. Thailand has tourist areas and also very cultural unspoilt arears too. I visited both, and even lived with Thai people I met.
    Thai people are very friendly towards "rich farang"... they will do a lot for you. For example we were 45km up a mountain in a jeep we rented and run out of fuel. No petrol station anywhere within 45km so we approached some locals to find out what we could do. They pumped fuel out of their truck for us to buy from them, yes for a little more than what it would cost from the gas station but nothing compaired to what we pay in the UK.

It's very busy on the roads but I felt safe both driving a Hilux Vigo in both the cities (chiang mai) and on the open road into the country. Also motorbikes are fine, people move out of your way etc.

One tip, you can buy anything in Thailand if you have money. If you have money you will never sleep on the street or not be able to get home etc...
    Sounds like being a westerner really grants me easy access!

How much was the mountain jeep? I am unsure about renting as I don't want to deal with insurance and the fact that if I mess up the car/motorbike then I will have to pay some crazy prices. If I crash a motorbike I buy then I can just leave. Assuming I can walk!

(Original post by *Lola_Stars*)
    Don't go to Thailand?!?

Whoever is saying this is completely ridiculous.

I lived in Bangkok for seven years and it was amaaaaazing!

Thailand is such a versatile country, you'll find something for you.

Go to Bangkok. It has a lot of lovely hotels. There are a lot of tourists but in most capital cities at that time of year you have to accept that. Head to Chatuchak Market and Naraya Phand for a taste of the culture. Go by the river. Khao San is full of tourists and clubbing at night but in the day it can be very interesting.

Ko Samet is a nice beach place without it being ridiculously tacky. Tack is Pattaya. Don't go there, it's really seedy and just generally not a nice place.

If you want to interact and integrate with the locals, head somewhere north like Chiang Mai and go camping near a village. The local hilltribes are generally very welcoming.

Thailand is an amazing country, but you also have to approach it with caution. Always be aware of what you are doing.

Have fun.

Please do not listen to those dismissing the country!
    Everybody talks about Chiang Mai and the hill tribes, I was beginning to think it wouldn't be authentic as there would just be white people everywhere.

Can you point me towards some of the best clubs in BK? I'm hoping to avoid the ones just full of Brits, would like to go to one where it's mainly Thais. Probably a good idea if it's an upscale one too.

I would like to budget in most places, but in BK I think i'd like to take advantage of the higher life for my money. I know i'm a backpacker but I can spend a little extra to live like a king for a week or so, then go to sleeping in huts.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 21, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.