Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arteta)
    Thankyou pitchayak and Ewan, I don't know what a silk sleeping sack is, but i'll find out

Sounds like being a westerner really grants me easy access!

How much was the mountain jeep? I am unsure about renting as I don't want to deal with insurance and the fact that if I mess up the car/motorbike then I will have to pay some crazy prices. If I crash a motorbike I buy then I can just leave. Assuming I can walk!

Everybody talks about Chiang Mai and the hill tribes, I was beginning to think it wouldn't be authentic as there would just be white people everywhere.

Can you point me towards some of the best clubs in BK? I'm hoping to avoid the ones just full of Brits, would like to go to one where it's mainly Thais. Probably a good idea if it's an upscale one too.

I would like to budget in most places, but in BK I think i'd like to take advantage of the higher life for my money. I know i'm a backpacker but I can spend a little extra to live like a king for a week or so, then go to sleeping in huts.
    The jeep was something like £25 for 24 hours, but I rented it with 5 friends so like a few quid each. Yeah there is the issue of insurance, simple fact we didnt have any on the vehicle. They told us "you crash you pay" so we just made sure we didnt crash :P ha... got to take these risks I guess.
    In terms of motorbikes if you want to buy one you'll struggle for a good price, second hand bikes are rarely sold and if they are they're almost as much as new. A new bike is about 700-800 quid. Rental for a month would possibly set you back no more than £100... yes with no insurance again. Someone I met over there crashed a rented bike, ended up in hospital and the bike was really damaged, the owner asked him for 10000 baht which is about £200... so realistically if you did crash its not going to mean you need to get the parents to remortgage their house...

And yeah go to Chiang Mai, its beautiful. Altho a little touristy it has quiet areas and is a lot more cultural than the south.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rozzr)
    Chiang Mai isnt too bad, hell of a lot nicer than bangkok, rent a car (about 1000b a day) and drive around up to pai, then to mae hong son, then past doi suthep and into chiang mai. 3 days driving.

It is a great trip and the only part of my trip to thailand i really enjoyed at all, even though i was stuck with the most annoying and awful girl i have ever met in my life!

You wont live like a king unless you spend like £100+ a night, but you can live like a civilised westerner in nice conditions for £20 a night on accomodation (halve that if you are sharing with someone). Food is around £5-10 a meal for anything worthwhile. I lived like this for 2 weeks and still got food poisoning, its everywhere just dont eat anything that they coulda touched with their hands is the basic rule of thumb and should keep you safe (so basically hot stuff or fruit you peel yourself or something)
    You seemed to have spent an awful lot on food and accomodation. We were staying 4 or 5 stay hotels some nights for no more than £12 in Chiang Mai. Food we were eating 3 course meals for £5 or a basic street sellers dish for 40-80p.

Appreciate you got food poisoning but its not something everyone gets so I wouldnt suggest not eating off locals simply because of this. I was with 6 people for part of my trip and met maybe 20 more and none got food poisoning at all. Yes a dicky stomach but everyone gets that from the food changes to western food.

Glad you enjoyed the south, its beautiful.

ReputationRep:
    Haha just read your edit of your post... I guess Thailand wasnt for you, perhaps because you just dont like non-western countries... they're often very dirty and poor, standards of living are much lower. You're right if you want to live in extremely nice hotels and eat very good quality food it will cost a lot, but if you are a young traveler or backpacker who is going for a real adventure then its perfect. I found it clean enough, and the food I actually found street food tastier than the resturants :P

I think North America or Aussie would be much more suited to your expections of a holiday destination

Oh and btw I spent the same as you in 4 weeks lol... and stayed 4 stars most nights and flew everywhere rather than getting trains!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by turn_the_page_day_by_day)
    You seemed to have spent an awful lot on food and accomodation. We were staying 4 or 5 stay hotels some nights for no more than £12 in Chiang Mai. Food we were eating 3 course meals for £5 or a basic street sellers dish for 40-80p.

Appreciate you got food poisoning but its not something everyone gets so I wouldnt suggest not eating off locals simply because of this. I was with 6 people for part of my trip and met maybe 20 more and none got food poisoning at all. Yes a dicky stomach but everyone gets that from the food changes to western food.

Glad you enjoyed the south, its beautiful.
    You have to remeber my accomodation was £20 a night due to being alone, and always being in double rooms, would have be halved had i been with someone else. But places like the Imperial Mae Ping, Maninarakorn, etc, were all around 1000-1500b a night and all very nice, nothing special but fine for staying in. For meals i was more referring to proper restaurants that i went to in the evenings and that is with drinks, i tended to spend 300-500b a meal wherever i went other than the 30b street sellers!

I didn't actually venture south, that was the plan for my second half of the trip, was meeting with a group of friends, but I could only take so much Asia in one dose!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 21, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.