Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering where one could shop for female clothing at good prices in Nottingham.At value prices too.Would be coming from a tropical climate and the dumbest thing in this period of credit crunch would be to buying expensive clothing that I wouldn't wear back home.

ReputationRep:
    You'll have to be more specific on budget and what not. But Nottingham has a fairly comprehensive load of shops that you can look through.

Primark's a start

ReputationRep:
    There's:

Next
    House of Fraser
    Primark (as mentioned above)
    TK Maxx
    New Look (2 of these)
    TopShop
    Dorothy Perkins
    French Connection
    Paul Smith (not exactly cheap though!)
    H&M (very popular)

And literally hundreds of small boutiques that I have no idea the names of.

The best for your specific situation being Primark, H&M, TK Maxx, Next, New Look and perhaps TopShop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig_D)
    There's:

Next
    House of Fraser
    Primark (as mentioned above)
    TK Maxx
    New Look (2 of these)
    TopShop
    Dorothy Perkins
    French Connection
    Paul Smith (not exactly cheap though!)
    H&M (very popular)

And literally hundreds of small boutiques that I have no idea the names
    of.

The best for your specific situation being Primark, H&M, TK Maxx, Next, New Look and perhaps TopShop.
    are these in a shopping mall like broadmarsh or somewhere else in nottingham?
    how close to the uni are they?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anemoskkk)
    are these in a shopping mall like broadmarsh or somewhere else in nottingham?
    how close to the uni are they?
    OK If we assume that you will be living at University Park, where most students will be, it's a fairly simple route, and the bus service is pretty good - I regularly walk this route (I just did 20 minutes ago, it's raining :sad:). From University Park, North/East entrance, Derby Road (A6200) goes directly past and willl take you straight into the city centre, it's about a roughly 3 mile distance. Unfortunately the Nottingham Trent University students are right in the city centre, something they never shut up about, (but they get way worse facilities ...) but Nottingham Uni's location is another thing I love about it - it's perfect. The campus has a nice countryside feel, like you could be miles from anywhere, it's so green yet you are actually still really close to the city centre when you need something. It really does have the best of both worlds.

(And Nottingham's city centre is ranked 3rd in the country for total money spent annually in the city's shops, behind only Birmingham and London - we used to be second, and are supposedly catching Birmingham up again.)

The route to the city centre is shown here:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...,0.063343&z=14
    (University Park is at the bottom left, the city centre is top right)

As you seem to know, the main shopping centres are Victoria Centre and Broadmarsh, both are in the town centre and are fairly close to each other.

Next - Downstairs in Victoria Centre
    House of Fraser - Outside Victoria Centre, large shop, easy to find
    Primark - Roughly halfway between Broadmarsh and Victoria, it's very near the Council House (which everyone in Nottingham knows, it's our main building, after all)
    New Look - one in downstairs Victoria centre, another just outside Broadmarsh.
    TK Maxx - One outside Victoria Centre, you can't miss it, it's huge, another downstairs in Broadmarsh (the first shop you see when you go in the main entrance)
    TopShop - Downstairs in Victoria Centre, next to Next
    Dorothy Perkins - Victoria Centre, downstairs
    French Connection - In between Primark and Broadmarsh (near Waterstones, which I presume as a student you will visit regularly :yep:)
    Paul Smith - Just outside Broadmarsh's back entrance
    H&M - Directly outside Broadmarsh (and also links into Broadmarsh via its back entrance) it's main entrance is opposite the New Look outside Broadmarsh, which I mentioned earlier)

And, as I said earlier, for your everyday shopping you want to stick with TK Maxx, New Look, TopShop, H&M and Next. Actually ... and River Island too, now that I think about it (my sister loves it). River Island is next door to H&M.
    Anything else I can help with? Maybe I rushed and didn't explain something properly?

ReputationRep:
    There are hundreds of shops to pickle your fancy. I went down there the other day and took a walk through the centre and I was spoilt for choice. And I'm coming from London where everything is at my doorstep, so that's saying something. I don't think us girls (or guys for that matter) will have any trouble next year fashion wise, although it is a bit of a trek getting there from the uni. I know I'm going to end up spending the whole year on campus; that journey may not seem far for others, but for me it is long.

I do envy those Trent students for their location - they literally are bang where the action is - but our campus is so beautiful I can't really complain. It's complete escapism from the city.

ReputationRep:
    OK If we assume that you will be living at University Park, where most students will be, it's a fairly simple route, and the bus service is pretty good - I regularly walk this route (I just did 20 minutes ago, it's raining :sad:). From University Park, North/East entrance, Derby Road (A6200) goes directly past and willl take you straight into the city centre, it's about a roughly 3 mile distance. Unfortunately the Nottingham Trent University students are right in the city centre, something they never shut up about, (but they get way worse facilities ...) but Nottingham Uni's location is another thing I love about it - it's perfect. The campus has a nice countryside feel, like you could be miles from anywhere, it's so green yet you are actually still really close to the city centre when you need something. It really does have the best of both worlds.

(And Nottingham's city centre is ranked 3rd in the country for total money spent annually in the city's shops, behind only Birmingham and London - we used to be second, and are supposedly catching Birmingham up again.)

The route to the city centre is shown here:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...,0.063343&z=14
    (University Park is at the bottom left, the city centre is top right)

As you seem to know, the main shopping centres are Victoria Centre and Broadmarsh, both are in the town centre and are fairly close to each other.

Next - Downstairs in Victoria Centre
    House of Fraser - Outside Victoria Centre, large shop, easy to find
    Primark - Roughly halfway between Broadmarsh and Victoria, it's very near the Council House (which everyone in Nottingham knows, it's our main building, after all)
    New Look - one in downstairs Victoria centre, another just outside Broadmarsh.
    TK Maxx - One outside Victoria Centre, you can't miss it, it's huge, another downstairs in Broadmarsh (the first shop you see when you go in the main entrance)
    TopShop - Downstairs in Victoria Centre, next to Next
    Dorothy Perkins - Victoria Centre, downstairs
    French Connection - In between Primark and Broadmarsh (near Waterstones, which I presume as a student you will visit regularly :yep:)
    Paul Smith - Just outside Broadmarsh's back entrance
    H&M - Directly outside Broadmarsh (and also links into Broadmarsh via its back entrance) it's main entrance is opposite the New Look outside Broadmarsh, which I mentioned earlier)

And, as I said earlier, for your everyday shopping you want to stick with TK Maxx, New Look, TopShop, H&M and Next. Actually ... and River Island too, now that I think about it (my sister loves it). River Island is next door to H&M.
    Anything else I can help with? Maybe I rushed and didn't explain something properly?
    hehe thanx a lot.
    it seems that you know ur stuff pretty well for a guy
    isnt victoria centre a bit dangerous as it is in the city centre?
    i v read that the crime rate is pretty high in the city centre

thanx a mil again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anemoskkk)
    hehe thanx a lot.
    it seems that you know ur stuff pretty well for a guy
    isnt victoria centre a bit dangerous as it is in the city centre?
    i v read that the crime rate is pretty high in the city centre

thanx a mil again
    Haha Yeah, a couple of those have a men's section, or a guy's shop next door xD And my sister drags me around most of them :p:

The very heart of the city is completely safe, trust me Anywhere around Broadmarsh and Victoria you are as safe as you could possibly be. There's always loads of people around, any criminals around trying to steal handbags wouldn't stand a chance. And surprisingly, despite our reputation, I think the city centre is really nice. Just as an example, if you're in the city centre and go past Nottingham Castle there is a housing estate called The Park Estate, right in the corner of the city centre, and it's magnificent. It's all old mansions, and some have been made into apartments - and some of these apartments cost over a million pounds each, a complete mansion would be several million. Hugh Grant used to live there, it just goes to show how Nottingham has two sides. I have never witnessed a crime in the city centre.

Admittedly, there are areas you want to avoid though. Radford is directly north-west of the city centre, and isn't a nice area. St Anns is the area you really want to avoid, and is south of the city centre (I think they are still classed as being in the 'city' of Nottingham, which is why you heard that). There's no reason why you would actually need to go there at any point, so you could easily spend 3 years here without having to go there. In 19 years I have only gone through there once, and it was whilst driving. The people that get attacked in these areas are people that live there, so it poses no threat to us Uni students

Basically, there are bad areas but they are easily avoided. The areas that you need on a day-to-day basis are perfectly safe, and are actually quite nice

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to everyone for these great ideas and answers

ReputationRep:
    Haha Yeah, a couple of those have a men's section, or a guy's shop next door xD And my sister drags me around most of them :p:

The very heart of the city is completely safe, trust me Anywhere around Broadmarsh and Victoria you are as safe as you could possibly be. There's always loads of people around, any criminals around trying to steal handbags wouldn't stand a chance. And surprisingly, despite our reputation, I think the city centre is really nice. Just as an example, if you're in the city centre and go past Nottingham Castle there is a housing estate called The Park Estate, right in the corner of the city centre, and it's magnificent. It's all old mansions, and some have been made into apartments - and some of these apartments cost over a million pounds each, a complete mansion would be several million. Hugh Grant used to live there, it just goes to show how Nottingham has two sides. I have never witnessed a crime in the city centre.

Admittedly, there are areas you want to avoid though. Radford is directly north-west of the city centre, and isn't a nice area. St Anns is the area you really want to avoid, and is south of the city centre (I think they are still classed as being in the 'city' of Nottingham, which is why you heard that). There's no reason why you would actually need to go there at any point, so you could easily spend 3 years here without having to go there. In 19 years I have only gone through there once, and it was whilst driving. The people that get attacked in these areas are people that live there, so it poses no threat to us Uni students

Basically, there are bad areas but they are easily avoided. The areas that you need on a day-to-day basis are perfectly safe, and are actually quite nice
    This - I'm also a Nottingham native having grown up in Radford and I've only really been witness to crime on one occasion (although it was fairly serious).

St Anns is to the northeast of the City Centre I thought :p: , it's at the other side of the city compared to the University of Nottingham.I've only once been there for a family friend's wedding - and there isn't a lot to see there as Craig says so you aren't missing much.

If you're curious I've taken loads of photos of Nottingham which will give you a good impresion of the area on my Flickr
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Welcome Squad
    I've heard the shopping is good and I've been looking at maps and such (wow, I sound so tragic) and I can't wait.

I'm attempting a trip from Stoke tomorrow so I'll report back I just need to work out getting from the train station to the shops and I'll be fine...

ReputationRep:
    I guess with all this info,shopping would be a great experience. I intend finding a shopping buddy to make it really exciting

ReputationRep:
    Btw a friend mentioned that there are some charity shops selling clothing at good prices.Are they of good quality?

ReputationRep:
    EDIT: Apologies. Wrong city.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.