Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    You've got a whole summer to learn from your parents...

ReputationRep:
    i plan on buying those huge bags of pasta they sell in tesco for like 3.50

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boredyay)
    i plan on buying those huge bags of pasta they sell in tesco for like 3.50
    The value bags work out cheaper, here at least.

ReputationRep:
    ANYONE can cook, just use your imagination. The only thing you need to learn, unless you've been living in a bubble, is how to make a white sauce. Once you can do that, you're set.

ReputationRep:
    you can download loads of recipies online. look for the kinda stuff you like. stick with simple dishes. Also if you learn them, you will realise it is not as hard to make as you thought. you just have to give it a go ^^ i learned how to cook quiche a few months ago...its really simple. All you need is mix a glass of milk with two eggs, then add all the things you want into the mix like flavourings ingredients and bacon. ^^
    or try cooking with your friends/family, it might be more fun that way. oh and don't forget the base. puffy or flat depends on what you're after.

ReputationRep:
    I used to be the worst cook in the world, my boyfriend even told me that my lack of cooking skills drove him to the drink lol.....I couldn't cook frozen peas.

Now I am a great cook if I do say so myself, probably just need to work on not over cooking meat.

ReputationRep:
    Supernoodles, beans on toast and cheese toasties are the way forward

Ask a willing relative if you can destroy their kitchen under supervision so you're not giving yourself food poisoning. You can find loads of basic recipe's online too

ReputationRep:
    Theres always something to eat my friend.

ReputationRep:
    i read that as "I WANT ****"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deano88)
    Cooking is really not that hard. If you want to keep it simple just go for pasta, you can jazz it up in all different ways.

And if all else fails, just do what it says on the packet, you can't go wrong.
    This. It sounds hard at first, but all you really need to do is heat food for the amount of time and intensity stated on the packet. Unless you want to cook Sunday roasts it's surprisingly simple.

You don't do anything, you shove it in an oven and stand around for half an hour. Even when cooked at the wrong heat it seems to always work out fine.

ReputationRep:
    Most day-to-day cooking involves cooking most ingredients individually anyway. Cook some meat, some vegetables, some pasta and sauce. Put it together, and BAM it's a meal. Is it really that difficult to boil vegetables or grill some sausages?

Stir fries are even easier, you can even do it all in one pan if you buy straight-to-work noodles. As long as the meat is cooked properly stirfries can't go wrong!

ReputationRep:
    I'm always amazed when people say they can't cook, because it's truly one of the simplest things in the world. You read recipes, and you do what it says. If you get confident, then you mess around with the recipe, and you'll start to learn what goes together and what doesn't.

You'll learn at uni, because you'll have to. There'll be other people with you in the kitchen, so you'll ask them for advice and learn from them too. That's how my mum learnt to cook, anyway! Just make sure you're not eating pasta 4 times a day :p:

ReputationRep:
    ready meals my friend; pierce the film, 2 mins in microwave, ding, add water or stir, 2 more mins, ding, leave to stand, eat!

ReputationRep:
    my friends brother pretty much survived on beans on toast, noodles, and fruit during uni x

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry... I'm sure when you move into halls you and a few other of your housemates will just stare at the cooker... then attempt to cook; you might fail the first time, but it's a great bonding session and you'll have a few laughs.

You'll learn to cook when you're there It's surprisingly simple, and once you gain confidence you can cook some pretty fantastic stuff. Try and cook with more people, it's a lot cheaper and pretty fun

ReputationRep:
    get a few cook books? nosh 4 students is apprently really good and im jus bout to buy it.. x

ReputationRep:
    Plan your meals. If you plan your meals you reduce the amount of food you waste and it saves you money - that's what I've found anyway. Also resist buying crap you don't need at the supermarket just because it's on offer.

Get your mum to teach you or buy some student cook books off Amazon.

ReputationRep:
    Eat raw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elziebelzie)
    DO NOT only eat pasta. you can end up with health issues if you only eat pasta for three years. pasta should only be eaten about once or twice a week and the rest of the time you should avoid it. alternatives are rice and potatoes.
    If you only ate pasta, with nothing else on it, then I'd agree with you, but if you're eating it as part of a sensible meal (say, with a vegetable-based sauce and a bit of salad on the side) then I wouldn't put that down as the highroad to health ruin. I'm not disagreeing with you at all on the point that eating a variety of foods is important for your health (and your taste buds), but I wouldn't want people to think that if they eat pasta (as part of a balanced meal) three or more times a week then they'll suffer horrible health problems as a consequence - and my (very healthy) Italian friends would certainly be rather baffled by the idea.

Far more worrying is living off nothing but highly processed foods - the idea of eating 10p noodles every day, for instance, is probably not the best plan.

ReputationRep:
    Work in catering for a summer job. If you get the right job, great pay AND experience...just ask the chefs for some tips when you get some downtime. Worked a treat for me except I worked in it for yeeears...hence why I am up so damn early today lol

All the best

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.