Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can I lose weight sans extreme exercise? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I eat two/three meals a day with fruit in between. I cut out all the crisps, biscuits, sweets etc...I also drink lots of water (maybe too much :p:) Do you think it'll work? But I've seen no change in the past few weeks :sad:

(yes I am that girl with the crap food diary i.e.http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...t#post19976240 , I've changed now though )

Advise me?????

Also, if you rarely ingest any calcium (obvs in food products) , does it have a really serious effect?

ReputationRep:
    It should work if your getting enough cals.

I wouldn't worry about the lack of calcium.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
    I eat two/three meals a day with fruit in between.

That's perfectly fine as long as they're not burger and chips. Also, try having the fruit at meal times (being a future dentist I feel proud saying this...:p:). Fruit contains citric acid which can produce acid erosion. However, at meal times, you are already producing saliva from the meals so the acid will not be as concentrated and your teeth will not be affected as much.

I cut out all the crisps, biscuits, sweets etc...

Very good start.

I also drink lots of water (maybe too much :p:)

Nothing wrong with that, you may put on water weight though.

Do you think it'll work? But I've seen no change in the past few weeks :sad:

It should work, just stick with it and give it time. Healthy weight loss is a pretty slow process and can be dangerous if done too quickly.

Advise me?????

I would suggest doing some exercise, that will be pretty key to weight loss. Diet is only a certain factor.

Also, if you rarely ingest any calcium, does it have a really serious effect?

Well yes. Your bones and teeth will not be as strong. You can not give up certain things, you have to maintain a balanced diet. Maybe go from full fat milk to semi-skimmed & full fat cheese to half fat cheese.
    Good luck and my replies are in italics...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redefined)
    It should work if your getting enough cals.

I wouldn't worry about the lack of calcium.
    :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    :lolwut:
    Show concrete evidence that a low intake of calcium severely effects an individual, especially when under the age of 30.

ReputationRep:
    You need calcium just like you need vitimins etc. It is used in growth and repair and also other things like nerves

You might be able to manage without much of it but to be healthy you should be getting enough of it

ReputationRep:
    Just like we NEED five portions of fruit and veg per day and NEED about 2.5 litres of water a day.

ReputationRep:
    When I had my allergy test, (the skin prick one) my bump for milk was the same size as the positive test control one and the bump for soya was huge. Also, the blood test showed a low number for milk but a high number of antibodies for soya.

So I was thinking, I might not be that allergic to milk. I only ever get a small eczema rash, so I guess I could eat yoghurt? But I'm not too sure. I don't like cheese.

I'm worried that my bones might go all weak....

ReputationRep:
    When I had my allergy test, (the skin prick one) my bump for milk was the same size as the positie test control one and the bump for soya was huge. Also, the blood test showed a low number for milk but a high number of antibodies for soya.

So I was thinking, I might not be that allergic to milk. I only ever get a small eczema rash, so I guess I could eat yoghurt? But I'm not too sure. I don't like cheese.
    Are you lactose intolerant?

Calcium should be consumed if possible and there are many products on the market if you do have allergies.

Speak to your G.P if you need to.

ReputationRep:
    Of course you can lose weight... but why would you not want to exercise? And what's the point in exercise if it's not extreme?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)
    Are you lactose intolerant?

Calcium should be consumed if possible and there are many products on the market if you do have allergies.

Speak to your G.P if you need to.
    No, I'm not intolerant, I'm allergic. It won't kill me though i.e. it won't cause anaphylaxsis

Should I go to the gym then? Or is changing my diet good enough?

ReputationRep:
    No, I'm not intolerant, I'm allergic. It won't kill me though i.e. it won't cause anaphylaxsis

Should I go to the gym then? Or is changing my diet good enough?
    Your diet is good but you do need exercise.

You could go to the gym if it's not financially a problem but just go for walks every morning and evening, take up a sport, play football or tennis with friends, anything like that will help you reach your goals.

Good luck...

ReputationRep:
    There's a happy medium between 'extreme exercise' and 'no exercise' - it's called 'regular exercise'.

Losing weight without exercising is in my experience, not a great way to go about it. Having spoken to lots of ladies on WW's who relied on diet alone, they also lost muscle and became very... soft. I've exercised regularly during my weightloss and I'm so glad I did. I'm not 'tubby' or soft looking like my friend who is also losing weight but without exercising.

It's definitely something to consider, imo.

ReputationRep:
    A good diet only goes so far.

If your looking to lose weight/body fat % it comes down to this:

Diet 80%. Exercise 20%. So exercise is very important in fat loss.

ReputationRep:
    Show concrete evidence that a low intake of calcium severely effects an individual, especially when under the age of 30.
    Bones, teeth, etc are predominantly made out of which mineral? Calcium.

What happens when you don't supply enough Calcium? Poor and/or abnormal bone growth, bone/teeth weakness, etc.

It's also involved in nerve transduction among other things. Deficiencies can also lead to muscle weakness, flaccid paralysis, etc.

If you're not willing to believe anyone, read a book or ask your doctor by all means give it a try.

Just like we NEED five portions of fruit and veg per day
    Actually the recommendation is nearer 10 but it's less intimidating and 'easier' to recommend 5. Why? They are rich in vitamins and minerals which have roles in a myriad of bodily processes, don't provide enough and you inhibit these processes. They have a range of uses from blood clotting and metabolism through to sight and growth.

You could live without them but it wouldn't be particularly fun.

During pregnancy a deficiency in one or more vitamins can trigger abortion and/or lead to severe abnormality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    Bones, teeth, etc are predominantly made out of which mineral? Calcium.

What happens when you don't supply enough Calcium? Poor and/or abnormal bone growth, bone/teeth weakness, etc.

It's also involved in nerve transduction among other things. Deficiencies can also lead to muscle weakness, flaccid paralysis, etc.

If you're not willing to believe anyone, read a book or ask your doctor by all means give it a try.

Actually the recommendation is nearer 10 but it's less intimidating and 'easier' to recommend 5. Why? They are rich in vitamins and minerals which have roles in a myriad of bodily processes, don't provide enough and you inhibit these processes. They have a range of uses from blood clotting and metabolism through to sight and growth.

You could live without them but it wouldn't be particularly fun.

During pregnancy a deficiency in one or more vitamins can trigger abortion and/or lead to severe abnormality.
    This + many other associated problems.

I assume the water statement was so stupid you didn't feel the need to answer it?

ReputationRep:
    If you don't get enough calcium you will suffer long-term health problems. As a vegan, I never ingest any dairy products but obtain sufficient calcium from alternative sources. For example, fortified soya milk/yogurt products, and green veg. xx

ReputationRep:
    This + many other associated problems.
    The list is bloody endless, I have a lecture booklet 20+ pages long going into vitamin and mineral uses, deficiencies and toxicities.

I assume the water statement was so stupid you didn't feel the need to answer it?
    Aye, I felt the calcium discussion warranted much more attention.

ReputationRep:
    Why does it have to be "extreme" exercise?

ReputationRep:
    vitamin D / calcium deficiency causes rickets in children, osteomalacia in adults, osteopnoea / osteoporosis in eldery + post-menapausal women

although rickets and osteomalacia are uncommon in the developed world, osteopnoea and osteoporosis are extremely common, so it is a good idea for girls to have a source of calcium + vit d.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rickets
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osteomalacia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osteoporosis

also you can also get other systemic complications. i can only think of secondary hyperparathyroism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seconda...parathyroidism

i'm pretty sure that such things as cardiac arrythmias / abortions / muscle paralysis would take more than just a lack of vit D and calcium in the diet.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.