Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Howdy folks, I've just recently graduated from the Ex with a BSc Physics degree and thought I could use the insight I've got over three years to help you all out.

If you've questions about any aspect of the university be it accommodation, the courses themselves, nightlife, things to do, societies, campus facilities, weather or where to buy absinthe, do let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.

Thanking you

ReputationRep:
    Was Physics worth it?
    What jobs are you now looking at?
    Is Physics a field that you will enjoy putting your life into?
    Was Physics challenging?

ReputationRep:
    Was Physics worth it?

Definitely. The insight gained from three years worth of study into such varied phenomena is highly appreciable. I've always been passionate about the subject, and me and the course were a good match. Physics encompasses all scales of objects from sub-atomic particles to large-scale structure of the universe, and to study and comprehend theories that provide solid models and explanations for such different areas of nature is very satisfying. Transferable skills are also important and I think more analytically, soundly and with more reason. It's developed my confidence, presentation skills, team work, report writing, mathematical ability and organisational skills.

What jobs are you now looking at?

Graduate research positions with companies such as DSTL, Qinetiq, AWE, Sellafield, Magnox, National Nuclear Laboratory, Met Office, etc.

Is Physics a field that you will enjoy putting your life into?

Absolutely. I relish the challenge and will enjoy putting my skills and passion into action.

Was Physics challenging?

Very much so. The toughest parts for me were Quantum Mechanics, Solid State Physics, the later Mathematical module, Electromagnetism and Statistical Physics. The course will stretch you in every way, and at times you'll feel despair, but keep ploughing on, use your lecturers, tutors and friends to help you through it and never give up. You're studying one of the toughest subjects around, but it's worth it.

ReputationRep:
    And my final question, is it worth me staying at sixth form an extra year for.

To swap from chemistry to physics.

ReputationRep:
    Are you doing AS Physics in your 2nd year of sixth form then? Which other A-levels are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    This year I'll be doing Chem, Bio and Psychology A2 and Maths AS.

If I wanted to swap to Physics I'd also do Maths A2 and Physics AS+A2 in the extra year.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you drop Psychology and do Chemistry and Biology A2, Maths AS and Physics AS this upcoming academic year and Maths A2 and Physics A2 the year after? That way you wouldn't be doing AS and A2 Physics in the same year which would be quite tough, and you wouldn't need A2 Psychology anyway (although I do appreciate that you probably enjoy the subject).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krell)
    Why don't you drop Psychology and do Chemistry and Biology A2, Maths AS and Physics AS this upcoming academic year and Maths A2 and Physics A2 the year after? That way you wouldn't be doing AS and A2 Physics in the same year which would be quite tough, and you wouldn't need A2 Psychology anyway (although I do appreciate that you probably enjoy the subject).

I could do physics AS+A2 next year as well as AS maths. And maybe drop Biology.

But regardless.

I'm stuck between chemistry and physics... I love learning about sub atomic particles and radiation.

I'm not sure if Physical chemistry will cover some of this : (

ReputationRep:
    There is definitely crossover between Physics and Chemistry when it comes to atomic/quantum physics- Physics explains fundamental Chemistry. I can't make your decision for you as I don't know your strengths and weaknesses, you need to have a mathematical aptitude for a Physics degree whereas you'll never need more than AS level Maths for Chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    How many times did you go to Arena?

Was it worth it?

ReputationRep:
    Is it true that Rowling studied there ?
    How was it being at the same place she had been once ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lmcorr)

Was it worth it?
    Haha! This

And to the person above, yes, JK Rowling did study at Exeter. She lived in Duryard halls, which have since been demolished I believe?

ReputationRep:

Didn't keep track! Not as many as some people, I didn't go week in, week out.

Was it worth it?

Arena or the degree? :P

As I said earlier, the course and experience was definitely worth it.

Is it true that Rowling studied there?

Yup, answered above.

How was it being at the same place she had been once?

It's nice to have some esteemed alumni. You can wander round the city and see Gandy Street and Martins Lane one of which was supposed to have been her inspiration for Diagon Alley in the stories. Will Young was a waiter in Harry's too, and apparently couldn't make a cappuccino to save his life!

ReputationRep:
    i miss arena :puppyeyes:

and i miss my bouncers :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    How much money did you spend in total in the Ram?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lmcorr)
    How much money did you spend in total in the Ram?
    A fair bit, but spent more on 'gutbuster' baguettes and rolls than alcohol. Maybe a few hundred quid.

ReputationRep:
    Not bad going. Oh the gutbusters, how good they are! You better have spent your fair share on curly fries too!

ReputationRep:
    So what classification did you get and why did you not do a MPhys?

ReputationRep:
    How hard is the second year?

ReputationRep:
    What does this infamous gutbuster contain?

You can choose from a wide range of fillings. It's the size of the baguette itself rather than there being an excessive amount of filling.

So what classification did you get and why did you not do a MPhys?

2:2, wasn't smart enough to do the Mphys course.

How hard is the second year?

Very hard. I got a better mark in my 3rd year. It's a huge leap from first year and I actually wanted to quit six weeks into it! Quantum was tough, Statistical Physics was a nightmare (dry, poor lecturer) and I found maths tough going. Second semester had some heavy modules such as Electromag II, more maths and programming.

If you're prepared for it and put the work in you'll be fine, don't slack off.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.