Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Fat & Thin people - a few questions watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Low Key)
    We both know you LOVES IT!
    IF I can see it, then maybe

But bennh's big one has me fascinated at the moment...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    Looking at the extremes and I suppose the not so extreme. –
    For the four categories below I am interested in finding out:

1: Are you happy at this weight/body type?
    2: Do you do anything to change it?
    3: Do you believe it is physiology or psychology that causes this within you?
    4: If you could be one of the others which would it be?
    5: What if any are peoples reactions to you physically?
    6: Have you had any health complications due to body type?

Types -(I realise these are generalisations, if you differ but want to answer just let us know what you believe your body type to be)

1: Obese/Quite a bit overweight/Carrying a fair bit more body fat

2: Moderately overweight/a bit chubby/carrying a few extra pounds

3: A bit on the skinny side/not carrying much fat or muscle/could do with gaining a few lbs

4: Very skinny/Underweight by a fair margin/Boney etc
    Probably a type 2 body from that, as my body fat when last measured a few months back was 18.7% with a BMI of 24.7. I'm approximately 6'1'' and 13st 10ib.

1 - Ideally I'd like to be a bit thinner, but I've tried many many things and all that happens is that I lose a few pounds and the body still looks pretty much the same.
    2 - While at university I eat less than I do at home and probably partake in vigorous exercise for about 10 hours a week, but while at home, mostly because of where I live it is difficult to do anything unless my brothers are also around [Probably because I prefer 'social' exercise than, say, running] and this lack of exercise causes me to eat more.
    3 - I think it's more likely psychology. If I really want something based on a moral standing I have I will do everything to do it, whereas if it's something that I don't feel I morally 'need', then I will be a little more lax about it.
    4 - I'd rather have an average body, then I'd find it easier to adjust to what would be considered a 'normal' weight,
    5 - I can't say i've had any reactions really. I tend to find that when I get back from uni people comment that i've lost a lot of weight, but then I'll get on the scales and I won't have lost anything since the last time I was measured, which can be disheartening.
    6 - My family have a history of diabetes and having had cancer as a baby only one of my lungs functions properly, but apart from this the only problems i've really had are as a result of bone injuries. I do however have gynaecomastia on one side of my body which has been present for nearly 6 years and has knocked my confidence back a bit.

Hope that all helps ya mate :top:

ReputationRep:
    It is blooming amazing that nobody has mentioned metabolism speed, well done you lot for not using it as an excuse.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 21 yo male - I'm slightly overweight - BMI of 26.13, BFI of about 21%

1: Are you happy at this weight/body type? Nope

2: Do you do anything to change it? Gym, eat helathy, wii fit haha

3: Do you believe it is physiology or psychology that causes this within you? psychology - i feel uncomfortable being overweight, even though everyone says im fine the way i am

4: If you could be one of the others which would it be? From the others id rather be slightly underweight - but ideally id be perfect weight

5: What if any are peoples reactions to you physically? Honestly most people think i look quite handsome and tell me not to change :s - but I AM clinically overweight lol

6: Have you had any health complications due to body type? Unfitness haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by forsaken_earth)
    I'm 5ft6 and like 8 and a half stone, feel obese.

1: Are you happy at this weight/body type? No i hate it more than anything
    I eat between 1000 and 1500 cals a day
    3: Do you believe it is physiology or psychology that causes this within you? The latter
    4: If you could be one of the others which would it be? n/a

5: What if any are peoples reactions to you physically? Reactions are positive but I always twist them in my head into something horrible.
    Yes, when I was under seven stone last year I had many many health issues.
    You're my height, a stone lighter than me and you feel obese? :eek: I've got a middling BMI and get comments about how tiny I supposedly am as it is - you must be so slim!

ReputationRep:

Types -(I realise these are generalisations, if you differ but want to answer just let us know what you believe your body type to be)

3: A bit on the skinny side/not carrying much fat or muscle/could do with gaining a few lbs

I'm in between 3 and 4, literally on the normal/ underweight border

1: Are you happy at this weight/body type? Yes
    2: Do you do anything to change it? not really
    3: Do you believe it is physiology or psychology that causes this within you? A bit of both. I have to walk a lot to get around and I run 4 miles 3 mornings a week. I also have a lot of energy and can't sit still for very long and end up pacing up and down for hours on end quite frequently. I'm odd lol. But I also have a fear over being above a certain weight so if I deviate from my normal habits for more than a week at a time, I will make a conscious effort to get back to normal. My eating is reasonably normal. I don't eat as much as most people but I don't eat stupidly little either. Food is my friend )
    4: If you could be one of the others which would it be? None really, I'm quite happy being where I am at the moment.
    5: What if any are peoples reactions to you physically? Varies, but don't get comments often. People just tend to descibe me as 'really petite' so I'm assuming that's a compliment but have no idea whether that's a comliment or euphenism.
    6: Have you had any health complications due to body type? No, although I did have insomnia for a while last year but not any more ) Apart from that, I'm never ill ever.

Edit: I am 5ft2 and weigh 7stone2. My body fat percentage is 16%

ReputationRep:
    It is blooming amazing that nobody has mentioned metabolism speed, well done you lot for not using it as an excuse.
    That would come under physiology though right?

ReputationRep:
    NO
    NO CAN't stick to diets and crap with will power and really don't like excercise
    BOTH

Don't know size 10/12
    Get a lot of attention off black men lol

NO lol I am actualluy fit as a fiddle xx

ReputationRep:
    : Are you happy at this weight/body type?
    Yes
    I don't want to change it.
    Psychology
    I don't want to be any of the others.
    Nothing but compliments.
    Nope

ReputationRep:
    I amaged 17, 6ft2 and 11 stone 4

1: Are you happy at this weight/body type? yes
    2: Do you do anything to change it? nothing at all
    3: Do you believe it is physiology or psychology that causes this within you? physiological, i eat far too much but don't put a pound on
    4: If you could be one of the others which would it be? i don't want to change
    5: What if any are peoples reactions to you physically? a good weight, slim but not lanky
    6: Have you had any health complications due to body type? none

In between 2 and 3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sango)
    Please stop talking about your penis. It really isn't anything to boast about you know...

Though I am black so naturally was blessed with a gargantuan penis fit for the hookers of Thailand and the sluts of Britain :p:

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atrixa)
    I would say I'm not really skinny, but only carry much fat around my belly, and I'm a healthy weight for my height.

More or less. I would like a flatter stomach, but I'd also like a bigger bum. (Odd I know, But I would like curves in the right places.)

I try to eat well.

A mixture of both?

None really, I'd just like to carry weight in the right places.

"Meh." I'm told I have nice arms.

Not that I know of.
    Squats will do that for you!

ReputationRep:
    I'm 5'4 and weigh 8stone, which puts me at about 19 for my BMI, which is good

Yes relatively.

Not particularly, I have just began to do a little exercise just to banish wobbly legs.

I have quite a slim family. I also like to be on the thin side and my mental attitude at the moment means I have a small appetite. Last year I weighed 9stone and I felt heavy.

I wouldn't.

Mostly good, boyfriend tells me I have lost too much weight but no one else does.

No.

I'd say a type 3.

ReputationRep:

I probably class as "carrying a few extra pounds"
    1. Sort of, although losing a couple of pounds and gaining a bit of muscle wouldn't go amiss
    2. I go to the gym a bit for general fitness; I don't particularly watch my diet or anything
    3. No idea
    4. I wouldn't really like to be a "3", so this is fine
    5. I'm pretty average, so nothing
    6. No

ReputationRep:
    Type 2

1: Are you happy at this weight/body type? No
    2: Do you do anything to change it? I am now, but only very recently
    3: Do you believe it is physiology or psychology that causes this within you? Uhm, psychological, I think. I am a ridiculously fussy eater and stress of the last year has caused me to overeat, and overeat all the wrong things!
    4: If you could be one of the others which would it be? Type 3? Or a healthy balance between Types 2 and 3. I was around what Type 3 is classed as this time last summer, about a stone and a half or so lighter, and would like to get back to around there as I looked a lot healthier (:
    5: What if any are peoples reactions to you physically? My friends were shocked to hear that I had put on as much weight as I have and said that I carry it well? And male reactions (not from male friends) haven't really changed either, so I wouldn't say there was a bad reaction.
    6: Have you had any health complications due to body type? Slightly high blood pressure for my age at my last check up due to the sudden weight gain, but that's what I'm aiming to lose it for.

ReputationRep:
    No.

Yes, starting to eat healthily and exercise.

Psychology

Between 3 and 4

Neutral really

No

ReputationRep:
    reasonably...

yes, i goto a gym to try and build a bit of bulk..nothing drastic though.

bit of both, i dont like the look of my skinny arms but i also play sport so need the added muscle.

im not sure what you mean...i wouldnt want to be fat...

people just say im very tall and thin...but not really in a bad way.

my whole family have height problems...in the way i have weak knees and a bad back.

I'm 6"3, 11stone.

ReputationRep:
    Nope.

Yep, decided a couple of months ago I was going to start eating propperly. Lost about 2 stone so far. Was 16 stone exactly this morning

Well, I'm probably going to be brown bread by the time i'm 50 anyway. Might as well try and cheat death a bit longer, eh?

Don't want to be an extreme type at all. Average would suit me nicely.

No idea... I suspect it's perhaps not the greatest turn on in the world for my g/f at the moment, however.

Drinking a heck of a lot of water at the moment. Perhaps I'm becoming diabetic? Don't care. I know I'll be dead within 30 years anyway, so no point worrying about something that affects elderly people as I just won't ever get there!

ReputationRep:

1: Are you happy at this weight/body type? NO!!
    2: Do you do anything to change it? yes I excercise daily , eat around 1,500 kcals , drink LOTS of water
    3: Do you believe it is physiology or psychology that causes this within you?Physcology ive always belived that i am FAT
    4: If you could be one of the others which would it be? just average 10/12 would do me nicely
    5: What if any are peoples reactions to you physically? i dont have a bf .. guys regualarly approach me in clubs but that dosent mean anything really.. id say that people think im fat/ugly :rolleyes:
    6: Have you had any health complications due to body type?Nope although I never visit the doctors so i wouldnt know
    :yes:

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Powerlifter]Looking at the extremes and I suppose the not so extreme. –

1: Are you happy at this weight/body type? yeah why not? could be worse
    2: Do you do anything to change it? no, i maintain more or less
    3: Do you believe it is physiology or psychology that causes this within you? former
    4: If you could be one of the others which would it be? dunno, same or thinner
    5: What if any are peoples reactions to you physically? they think i'm small
    6: Have you had any health complications due to body type? no

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 27, 2009
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.