Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

What is the AQA music a-level syllabus like? ie, is it harder than other boards, focussed more on a specific aspect of the course etc? It's just that i don't know anyone who has done AQA.
    What are the set works etc?!

Also, anyone studying the a-level at the Birmingham Conservatoire?? If so, what is it like, recommend it, costs etc?!

Thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    According to our teachers it's MUCH easier than the EdExcel course.

It's highly weighted towards performance (40%) and composition (20%).

15% is a theory listening paper and 15% is the study of a set symphony and two contrasting songs from each decade (from the 60s to now).

^^ That's AS only, not doing A2 :p:

The course is great though, composition time is capped at 20 hours but that's more than enough

ReputationRep:
    Ok firstly, Birmingham Conservatoire is a music college and therefore (as far as I'm aware) doesn't offer A-Level tuition; at BC you'd study degree level performance or composition, which is run in conjunction with Birmingham University. You can find more about Birmingham Conservatoire here, and the current figure for tuition fees is £3145 p/a

As far as the AQA specification, I can't vouch personally for it, only via word of mouth. Reputation wise, Edexcel is rumoured to be the hardest (and most analysis-heavy) music A-Level, with OCR coming up next, then AQA at the bottom (in terms of difficulty). The AQA specification is being revised this time round, so nobody has studied it yet; you can find a vague outline of the new specification here

Hope that helps, and if you've any more questions just give me a shout

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.