The Student Room Group

No energy for studying over the summer

I have so much work planned for over the summer bt i just cant be bothered, theres no incentive to work and nothing to make me stick to a structure. I had these great big plans for over the summer but all im do is procrastinating and im worried i wont finish.
here's what i have to do ...

Learn all of AS physics (as im starting A2 nxt year with no AS lessons)
Go over the A2 physics that iv missed
Finish the first draft of my ICT coursework
Learn ICT A2 theory
Go over maths/f.maths notes and a few exercises
Starting driving lessons and revise theory
Read compsci books
volunteering web design etc..
Go gym every day and swimming 3 times a week
A weeks hols in spain
Research uni's and shortlist ones
Write PS and fill in ucas info
Start trying some much more difficult maths question prep for uni interview
Start programming in python

Any advise ???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think you may be pushing yourself a little too hard. You have to enjoy your summer aswell :smile:
all I can say is that you don't actually HAVE to do any of that, and in 3 weeks I have an exam to do that I missed in May due to being in hospital - so I have little sympathy for you. Don't bother doing any of that, enjoy your summer
Here's your incentive:

If you want to get into Cambridge you need to sort out your Physics, ICT and Maths, read your compsci books. I think, unless you really want to, forget the Python programming, because its more about showing interest and passion as opposed to what you were able to read up on. And get a start on your PS.

Enjoy your holiday in Spain with a nice compsci book! The gym will be a nice release. Everything else can wait.

Good Luck :wink:
Reply 4
weet_ABI_x
all I can say is that you don't actually HAVE to do any of that, and in 3 weeks I have an exam to do that I missed in May due to being in hospital - so I have little sympathy for you. Don't bother doing any of that, enjoy your summer

I'd say that self-teaching AS Physics in order to move into the A2 class in September warrants a certain degree of "have to"... the rest of the stuff seems quite unnecessary though.

OP: Get off TSR and start/continue/whatever with the Physics. The more you sit on your arse thinking about doing it, the less you actually do it, so... do it :p:
Reply 5
Do some, not all.
nuodai
I'd say that self-teaching AS Physics in order to move into the A2 class in September warrants a certain degree of "have to"... the rest of the stuff seems quite unnecessary though.

OP: Get off TSR and start/continue/whatever with the Physics. The more you sit on your arse thinking about doing it, the less you actually do it, so... do it :p:

Ooops, didn't read it properly, just saw things like "read comp sci books" and "go to gym"! Yeah OP self-teach yourself Physics :s-smilie:
Reply 7
Firstly, prioritise. What do you think is most urgent? Write these tasks down in order of how important they are, start at the top and work your way down. I would say that learning AS physics, researching unis and starting your PS are the most important, seeing as you want to apply to Cambridge and the deadline is earlier.
Then, take each task and break it up into more friendly chunks. For example, for the "learn AS physics", make a list of topics and do a topic a day. Cross them off the list once you are happy with them, and the whole task seems more manageable. For the "research unis", draw up a list of things that you want from university - location, distance from home, course structure etc, then look at all the universities that meet your criteria. Try to visit some of them in order to narrow down your list. From your sig it looks like you have an idea of where you want to apply anyway, but don't rule anywhere out just yet as your AS results could affect these, or you may just change your mind about one of them.

Remember to enjoy your summer as well! There are a few things that look like they'd be beneficial to do, but remember you need a break otherwise you'll burn out quickly when it comes to going back to sixth form/college.
don't work yourself too hard, remember to have fun in the sun :biggrin:
Reply 9
pink-moped
I have so much work planned for over the summer bt i just cant be bothered, theres no incentive to work and nothing to make me stick to a structure. I had these great big plans for over the summer but all im do is procrastinating and im worried i wont finish.

Learn ICT A2 theory
Read compsci books
A weeks hols in spain
Start programming in C#

Any advise ???

Prioritise. Unless you're superman (or me), you won't be able to complete that list. Some of those targets are pointless. You don't need to do all the stuff you've listed. Why bother web designing if you are doing CompSci. Web design is 90% Photoshop 10% CSS/HTML. There is no 'programming' in web design (unless you're using php/asp etc..). Don't even think about driving lessons now. They are not a priority. Get university out of the way first.
Also, C# using Visual Studio 2008 is ftw. However its not free, and me insinuating that you should get THE program for free would mean that you would have to be a PIRATE and keep the authorities at BAY. You can DOTe on me because of my awesome advice later via PM or other means of COMmunication.
pink-moped

Learn ICT A2 theory
Read compsci books
A weeks hols in spain
Start programming in python

Any advise ???

Wait.. you're doing 5 AS levels and 6 A2 levels? :O You must be like super clever or something.. wow :O

You've got just over a month to do those things and maybe if you stick to rather thinking of it as 2 things per day rather than like 20 things per holiday, it would make it all more manageable so just focus on 2 things each day and pretend that's all you gotta do. Then, next day, do another 2 things and soon you'll hopefully be done with everything or the majority on your list :smile:
Reply 11
pink-moped
Any advise ???

I would recommend you drop A2 ICT as that's one less thing you'll have to do... why do you even want to do it, you would be perfectly fine even doing 3 A-levels (4 preferably looking at what uni's you're going to apply to)... why would you subject yourself to that much work??? you could even Biology and/or Geography as well, that leaves you with the three/four A-levels you really need for computer science...
Reply 12
Out of interest what CS books are you reading?

I may invest
Reply 13
Do some of it, but not all:smile:
Reply 14
EasyTiger
Out of interest what CS books are you reading?

I may invest

New Turing Omnibus is a great book . My maths teacher gave it to me for Cambridge prep. (didn't understand much of it though)
Reply 15
I know exactly what you mean. I'm so ashamed to say I haven't even started my Extended Project. :sad:
ogloom

Also, C# using Visual Studio 2008 is ftw. However its not free, and me insinuating that you should get THE program for free would mean that you would have to be a PIRATE and keep the authorities at BAY. You can DOTe on me because of my awesome advice later via PM or other means of COMmunication.

Why Why Why ?I think that's outrageous to be honest. I mean, when I needed that software, I SO wanted to HUNT for it in a shop, DOTing over the shelves in PC world and trying to COMmunicate my need for the software
Reply 17
Revolution is my Name
Why Why Why ?I think that's outrageous to be honest. I mean, when I needed that software, I SO wanted to HUNT for it in a shop, DOTing over the shelves in PC world and trying to COMmunicate my need for the software

Wait a MINute, when you were IN pcworld, after looking all OVer, could you not find whAt you Desired? OTher people would say that is a direct result of an unORGanized shop layout
^^^LOL

1) Learn all of AS physics (as ur starting A2 nxt year with no AS lessons)....Go over the A2 physics that u've missed
2) Research uni's and shortlist ones
3) Write PS and fill in ucas info
4) A weeks hols in spain (read a few compsci books when bored on holiday)
5) Go gym every day and swimming 3 times a week
6) Go over maths/f.maths notes and a few exercises.....try some difficult maths questions prep for uni interview

THERE YOU GO.... a list that you can work on in a month

tbh I would drop ICT anyway because you'll see that Physics is a very hard A-level so trying to do it in one year will take a lot of your time coupled with Further Mathematics aswell :eek: I feel a bit sorry for you :frown:
Code a cool project, fill up half your personal statement talking about that project. Universities love that stuff and two birds one stone. You can even use a book to help you with that project. Did someone say three birds one stone? While we're at it the project could be based on the AS physics you need to catch up with. 4 birds? Wow I'm awesome.

Latest