The Student Room Group

traffic light controlled roundabouts

There is a very irritating roundabout on my test route. If I was asked to take the 3rd exit i.e turn right, my instructor has taught me to stay in the left lane so its easier to get out when I need to. On the test I did this and as I started to move out to the left, the examiner hit the brake because there were other drivers on my left while I was moving left. I have never made this mistake before, is the method that Ive been taught correct?

Oh, and does anyone know the roundabout Im talking about its on the test route for Isleworth test centre
Reply 1
Can you find the roundabout on google maps and let us know which direction you were coming from, this way we can see the lanes as it depends how many lanes there are when you approached the roundabout.
If you're turning right, take the right lane, anticipate and just pull out when its safe. Ive never had a problem even on the busiest roundabout near me where limits are national and people come pissing off the motorway at 50-60. Wish you well in your driving career :smile: x
Reply 3
TomInce6666
If you're turning right, take the right lane, anticipate and just pull out when its safe. Ive never had a problem even on the busiest roundabout near me where limits are national and people come pissing off the motorway at 50-60. Wish you well in your driving career :smile: x

But if it has a three lane entry approach and leaves to a dual carriageway and you enter in the right lane you will be leaving in the fast lane on the dual carraigeway and will have to cut over the left lane. That is why I usually go in the middle lane. But it really depends on the roundabout and what lanes it has.
Rian1988
But if it has a three lane entry approach and leaves to a dual carriageway and you enter in the right lane you will be leaving in the fast lane on the dual carraigeway and will have to cut over the left lane. That is why I usually go in the middle lane. But it really depends on the roundabout and what lanes it has.

Wholly true.
There's a round about near me with two lanes on approach, and to turn right you should* go in the left lane where possible (it is marked as a left/straight on/right turn) unless there is a lot of traffic and then the right lane should be used (for turning right only as marked).

*this is as far as driving tests are concerned, my driving instructor said you should keep to the left where possible and on this round about you can be in the left lane to turn right. In reality most people who are turning right go in the right lane because it just feels natural!

Should you have been in the left lane to begin with rather than pulling out?
Are the lanes marked with which way you can go?

Sketch/photo?
Personally I'd stick to the middle lane. If you're going past 12 o'clock - I think of roundabouts as clocks to make it easier - then you're just going to piss people off and potentially be a danger if you stay in the outside lane.
You don't always have to listen to your instructor. I was always taught by my old instructor to stay in the outside lane on the roundabout by my house, but it's a bad, bad idea.
Are these the weird ones with 3 lanes? if you are going for the 3rd exit, start in the right hand one, then move round and go into the middle and then go to the left lane.
Reply 8
Everyone has an opinion on which lane to choose, but no-one has yet mentioned this point:

sweethunni01
I started to move out to the left, the examiner hit the brake because there were other drivers on my left while I was moving left.
This sounds like a problem with mirrors changing direction to me. The lane choice may well have been correct (or not; I don't know that roundabout) but whichever lane you take, you must take it safely.

Be guided by the road markings. Posting the google maps link will help us to advise you. One question, though... if you say you had to "move out to the left", why were you not on the left previously?
Reply 9
since when does anyone ever get in the left lane to turn right? to turn right, you get in the right hand lane. to go straight on, you get in the middle lane. to turn left, you get in the left lane. it just makes sense really. if you stay in the left lane the entire time, then you are getting in the way of others who are following the lanes round to get off at their prospective exit. usually, the lanes do guide you off. it's your own fault if you are in the wrong lane.
Reply 10
depends on the road markings tbh, but it sounds like he braked because you were cutting someone up not because you were in the wrong lane
Reply 11
Usually, i think im right in saying if the examiner says "right, 3rd exit" then take the right lane and then the xit before yours, indicate and then leave at the right exit....
if they say "left 24th exit" then the left lane....hahaha

on my test the exit i came off had 2 lanes, fast lane and other lane but the examiner told me to come off on the fast lane but was like "at the following round-about take a right, 3rd exit coming off in the lane for Rosyth" and Rosyth is the right lane but in my lessons i came off in the left lane heading to Rosyth and then moved into the right lane further down but just listen to the instruction and follow the road markings as appropriate, can't go wrong.

Latest

Trending

Trending