Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I would like to do a maths related extended project this summer, but am stuck for ideas.

Can anyone help?

ReputationRep:
    it depends how much time / effort you want to give and the knowledge you have so far.

ReputationRep:
    find an alternate proof for fermats last theorem:p:

ReputationRep:
    Easier way of evaluating the double integrals of complex functions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeanK22)
    it depends how much time / effort you want to give and the knowledge you have so far.
    Well I've just finished Year 12 and have done AS maths and further maths. I was planning on doing it during the summer to get it out the way but that's probably quite ambitious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strothersdale)
    Well I've just finished Year 12 and have done AS maths and further maths. I was planning on doing it during the summer to get it out the way but that's probably quite ambitious.
    I think everybody needs a far better grounding in geometry than is common among many students who take M / FM. For that reason, a project on geometry would be only natural;

Investigate the The nine-point circle http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine-point_circle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rbnphlp)
    find an alternate proof for fermats last theorem:p:
    :rofl:

couple of elliptic equations along the way
    why the hell not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    :rofl:

couple of elliptic equations along the way
    why the hell not
    If you started work today and did eight hours a day you would probably only finish enough material after 1 and a half years to understand Wiles proof - probably after you have done a few years in University too. It is just too specialized to attempt to read without such study (I know you are joking - this was posted just to point out how specialized recent proofs are in case anyone did want to actually read his proof).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeanK22)
    If you started work today and did eight hours a day you would probably only finish enough material after 1 and a half years to understand Wiles proof - probably after you have done a few years in University too. It is just too specialized to attempt to read without such study (I know you are joking - this was posted just to point out how specialized recent proofs are in case anyone did want to actually read his proof).
    you can say that again, Singh's book about it explained the history behind it well and roughly how Wiles got there, and unbelievably its accessable (sp, i mean the book) to people with little maths knowledge

I get the feeling that Fermat's proof requires a lot less paper and ink

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for bumping this, but does the topic for the extended project have to necessarily be a topic covered in A level maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Small123)
    Sorry for bumping this, but does the topic for the extended project have to necessarily be a topic covered in A level maths?
    no not at all. it can be anything you like im not doing one anymore though. i found it too hard to think of a topic.

love your sig.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strothersdale)
    no not at all. it can be anything you like im not doing one anymore though. i found it too hard to think of a topic.

love your sig.
    Oh right great. Thanks and thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If anyone does complete a mathematics extended project, I'd love the opportunity to read it. Everyone in my school who does an extended project churns out a dull social sciences essay (probably because our coordinator is a Psychology/Sociology teacher) and I would be interested in encouraging our students to consider scientific or mathematical topics in the future.

I suspect the extended project may well be the only Diploma element to survive a change to a Conservative Government.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.