Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Swine flu vaccinations for students Watch

ReputationRep:
    As many of you are aware, there is currently a vaccine for swine flu being produced. When it becomes available, the priority groups will be:

• Frontline health and social care workers
    • Older people and those in clinical risk groups (found here)
    • Under 16s

In my opinion, students living in halls of residence and those post-16 living in boarding schools should also be added to the list, since they live in very close proximity to one another and once one or two people contract the virus, then it will spread very rapidly throughout the facility.

What's your take on this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bucky!)
    As many of you are aware, there is currently a vaccine for swine flu being produced. When it becomes available, the priority groups will be:

• Frontline health and social care workers
    • Older people and those in clinical risk groups (found here)
    • Under 16s

In my opinion, students living in halls of residence and those post-16 living in boarding schools should also be added to the list, since they live in very close proximity to one another and once one or two people contract the virus, then it will spread very rapidly throughout the facility.

What's your take on this?
    I think they have to draw the line someone. You could say that people, for example, who use the tube every day should be included on the list, as you are in very close proximity to people who may have it.

ReputationRep:
    What about people living in blocks of flats? Or people who work in offices, or hotels, or anywhere else that involves them seeing a lot of people in the course of one day?

Pretty much everyone lives in close proximity to other people, and I don't see why students are more important than everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    On the other hand students are generally young fit and healthy and well positioned to deal with a bout of illness. More so than pretty much any other part of society.

ReputationRep:
    I don't particualy want a vacination so that's fine by me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by terpineol)
    On the other hand students are generally young fit and healthy and well positioned to deal with a bout of illness. More so than pretty much any other part of society.
    But I thought that they were saying that this would be like the Spanish Flu, where younger people got it because they hadn't built up the immunity to the various flu strains over the years that the older people had?

Not that I'm complaining... I hate jags (yes, I know some are a neccessary evil, but anyway...)

ReputationRep:
    No students are not a priority group otherwise you'll have to start vaccinating lecturers who work in close proximity to students all day, you'd have to vaccinate office workers who work in cramped open aired cubicles all day, bus drivers who meet hundreds possibly thousands of passengers per day.

A line has to be drawn somewhere and unless a student has underlying health problems they are not a priority. In the majority of people swine flu is very mild, so much so that many people aren't even bothering with Tamiflu because by the time you get it you're mostly over the worst of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparklysparkles)
    I hate jags (yes, I know some are a neccessary evil, but anyway...)
    Yeah damn Granddad drivers in Jags thinking they own the road!

ReputationRep:
    But I thought that they were saying that this would be like the Spanish Flu, where younger people got it because they hadn't built up the immunity to the various flu strains over the years that the older people had?

Not that I'm complaining... I hate jags (yes, I know some are a neccessary evil, but anyway...)
    They are saying it could be like the spanish flu.

The simple fact is nobody knows if it will go that bad, and if so which groups will be worst affected, and how much protection vaccine produced now will confer against modified strains of the virus as they appear in the coming months.

If offered a jab I'd take it, but remain skeptical as to the level of protection it is likely to confer come january.

ReputationRep:
    I think students should be given the vaccine especially as the reason people are worrying is that the fluu is hitting people our age who are usually healthy. However, I don't believe you can have the flu vaccine if you are allerguc to eggs and I am so :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    Yeah damn Granddad drivers in Jags thinking they own the road!
    Oh, I'm sorry, "I despise innoculations/vaccinations", better? :rolleyes: :p:
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I think the point is more who's most at risk of having serious repercussions (e.g. death, permanent symptoms) rather than who's at risk of catching it that determines who gets the jabs, so although students living in halls and post-16 borders might be more at risk of catching it, they're not necessarily more at risk of dying from it.

ReputationRep:
    When term resumes swine flu will spread rapidly at universities, freshers week will be interesting with everyone eating each others faces for the first few nights then all the people coughing in lectures combined with a poor immune system due to copious amounts of drinking and poor diet.

Students are not a priority.

ReputationRep:
    Meh i'm a student and i'll be fine I reckon.

Hell i've barely left my chair all summer.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I'm sorry, "I despise innoculations/vaccinations", better? :rolleyes: :p:
    I think the point he was making is that the term is "jab" not "jag" :p:

ReputationRep:
    dont do it the vaccination turns you into a zombie. the world is going to tun into the film 'I Am Legend'. I will broadcast on all A.M frequencies when it happens

ReputationRep:
    I got an e-mail out saying we'll be prioritised because we're healthcare workers. Which is nice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uktom91)
    dont do it the vaccination turns you into a zombie. the world is going to tun into the film 'I Am Legend'. I will broadcast on all A.M frequencies when it happens
    :eek: Pull down the shutters and grab a rifle!

ReputationRep:
    And how do you think students who, like me, don't live in halls would respond to this?

We are to be neglected for a vaccine because we're not quite rich enough to afford to pay to live in halls?

No chance.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, i suppose i better have it then. I am diabetic.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.