Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    :cool: Is it true that you need to 'read for pleasure' to be able to do English Lit for A-Level? Because that's what my English teacher keeps rabbiting on about!

ReputationRep:
    nah thats all lies! You can get through an A level without reading around as long as your teacher gives you stuff about the era of the book and relevant related titles

then again...why are you doing eng lit if you don't like to read..

ReputationRep:
    Well, its probably not 100% essential, but it would help a lot

Why choose a subject that you aren't going to enjoy :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Having read a variety of books undoubtedly helps considerably with English lit as you will be (perhaps subconsciously) familiar with various types of style, a large vocabulary, literary techniques etc.

ReputationRep:
    if you're doing aqa(and probably all the boards) you're probably a wee bit scewed if you don't do other reader. For a2 i had to choose two books and do i personaly study comparing them. This is one part of the english sylabus where you can't really be spoon fed and you have to do the research yourself. Also for the war synoptic paper you have to have read a wide range of war texts because there is a question where you have to comment on how a particular text reflects the genre as a whole.

ReputationRep:
    yes, i would say you should but you could get away with not doing so, as long as you spent the time not reading other books concentrating on your study texts.

if you dont want to read other books, what about newspapers? reading a decent broadsheet would be helpful

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to *enjoy* it , but you do have to do some wider reading. Perhaps not for the AS but once you get to A2 it definitely helps get a higher grade (especially as someone's already said for the coursework- you will have a much better chance if you choose books you enjoy, and you can't do that without having read a fair bit).

I see a lot of people in my class who don't read and wonder why they bother with english in that case. You'd be better off doing a different subject if you don't like reading tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I looooooooovvve reading, however I never really got round to doin much but still took eng lit at A-level purely because I love literature so much. As long as your passionate about it I guess it doesn't matter too much.

Although I do think that If I love the subject as much as I think I do, surely I should have read more already? And regardless of time restraints I would have MADE time to read because I enjoy it. However this isn't true in my case, which leaves me feeling all cold an confuzzled...

I don't think its of paramount importance that you've read widely for A-level as long as your passionate, however I'd love to apply for eng lit at cambridge but I really don't think Iv'e read enough yet despite my ability and love in the subject.

Another problem is my "really great" spelling..... maybe its some strange genetic defect I can blame on my parents that no matter how successful I am in english, my spelling has always been atrocious, so much so I don;t even realise when i'm spelling badly, I just know I am out of paranoia

But seriously, I LOVE eng lit at AS level so far and I never read that much, only here and there so go for it If you like it and enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 100% Blade)
    :cool: Is it true that you need to 'read for pleasure' to be able to do English Lit for A-Level? Because that's what my English teacher keeps rabbiting on about!
    I think you really do need to "read for pleasure", as surely that's what English lit is all about?? Reading books you enjoy and figuring out how the writer has made it a brilliant book through analysis of structure, meaning, language, etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serendipity)
    I think you really do need to "read for pleasure", as surely that's what English lit is all about?? Reading books you enjoy and figuring out how the writer has made it a brilliant book through analysis of structure, meaning, language, etc etc.
    I enjoy reading, but if you wanted to 'cheat' you work hard in your as levels english lit get high marks - in a2 you can get away with only a small amount of reading.
    Anyone studying war - Catch 22 rocks not ww1, but awesome book.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 100% Blade)
    no - you really don't need to at all. i hate reading but i'm doing english lit too.

ReputationRep:
    My teacher told us the first day of class that 'Anyone can pass literature as long as your english is average, but to score an A you have to work a lot'. In that sense I would guess you are safe, but than again why go for E when you can get an A by actually doing some reading? Maybe you should consider other subjects, which doesn't require much reading.

ReputationRep:
    Talking of which, anyone here doing Evelyn Waugh's 'Decline and Fall'? I ended up with a different teacher for this novel, she's very good at putting us to sleep. I would appreciate some pointers on the novel as this is my first novel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kalandraka)
    I looooooooovvve reading, however I never really got round to doin much but still took eng lit at A-level purely because I love literature so much. As long as your passionate about it I guess it doesn't matter too much.

Although I do think that If I love the subject as much as I think I do, surely I should have read more already? And regardless of time restraints I would have MADE time to read because I enjoy it. However this isn't true in my case, which leaves me feeling all cold an confuzzled...

I don't think its of paramount importance that you've read widely for A-level as long as your passionate, however I'd love to apply for eng lit at cambridge but I really don't think Iv'e read enough yet despite my ability and love in the subject.

Another problem is my "really great" spelling..... maybe its some strange genetic defect I can blame on my parents that no matter how successful I am in english, my spelling has always been atrocious, so much so I don;t even realise when i'm spelling badly, I just know I am out of paranoia

But seriously, I LOVE eng lit at AS level so far and I never read that much, only here and there so go for it If you like it and enjoy it.
    This whole post could have been written by me. I also love reading, and I'm going to study English lit. next year, but somehow, for the past year or so, I've hardly been able to make time to just read for pleasure at all. (So I'm really looking forward to uni, where I won't have a whole load of other subjects using up all my time, and just totally indulge in reading books)

Oh, and my spelling is, and has always been awful too.

ReputationRep:
    Oh man, if your ever looking for theories, anything by Brian Moon is FANTASTIC!

ReputationRep:
    Not really I didnt really get into reading until uni and I got a good A at A Level. You could probably pass A Level without reading a proper book to be honest you could get away with york notes. you wouldnt get a brilliant grade though so I'm not recommending it.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.