Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Super Furry Animals - Best band of the past 20 years? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Such an amazingly consistent experimental band. I would rate them way over Radiohead and i think they totally deserve the accolade of best band of past 20 years easy. Such a criminally underrated band, and it's hard to name one bad song from their many albums. It annoys me greatly that they aren't more well known these days because they are still a great as ever. What do you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    Define best

ReputationRep:
    Seems like you mention your dislike of Radiohead in every post. :p:

And yeah the SFA are a great band, I've only really heard their newest album and their hits though, will need to get into their back catalogue as it's all supposed to be great.

ReputationRep:
    Porcupine Tree > Super Furry Animals

ReputationRep:
    Dream Theater > Super Furry Animals

ReputationRep:
    Tool > Super Furry Animals

ReputationRep:
    Bah you guys suck. Those bands don't compare. Though i do rate Dream Theater (but much of metal 90s onwards does little for me). As i said there are not enough SFA fans Very underrated at least anyone should say.

I think you need to get over Radiohead, tbh.

ReputationRep:
    No, The Killers are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 73337)
    I think you need to get over Radiohead, tbh.
    He's right to mention Radiohead in the 'best band of the past 20 years' thread, though. I don't like how he seems to create an utter obsession over bands, who are sometimes ok, but then asserts his opinion as fact, only for the 'best band' to have changed two months down the line. As it was with The Killers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QED)
    No, The Killers are.
    Quite funny, because the above mentioned bands play far more interesting music.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QED)
    He's right to mention Radiohead in the 'best band of the past 20 years' thread, though. I don't like how he seems to create an utter obsession over bands, who are sometimes ok, but then asserts his opinion as fact, only for the 'best band' to have changed two months down the line. As it was with The Killers.
    Oh shush you. I can understand how people don't like The Killers and yet wouldn't call them the best band of the last 20 years EVER. A band like SFA have constantly shown why they are so good album to album. Their experimentalism is just awesome and another testament to why i would class them as the best of the 2 decades because everything they do sounds good. Constantly underrated - and i mentioned Radiohead because i know so many people like them - i personally don't - but they are very progressive and experimentalist like the SFA hence why i named them.

I do think SFA is how chart music should sound though. (Drawing) Rings Around The World just sounds like the ultimate pop tune for me. And some of their stuff is so mad yet brilliant (Wherever I Lay My Phone is a brilliant example. It's so mad but so awesome at the same time). And who else would put a german rap into a song making it work :p:

Ultimately the bands people have named on here are bad comparisons as SFA aren't a metal band for example for the person who named Dream Theater. In terms of Pop/Rock i do think they are the best quite easily in the past 20 years. In their department the best since The Beatles maybe? Though i am of the opinion The Beatles will never be bettered like most sane people. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    The new album really isn't that great, as Gruff has been leaving all the good ideas for Neon Neon. SFA are very good, but I wouldn't call them 'best since the Beatles'. Radiator and Gorilla are two very good albums and the rest imo are decent. They're consistently good, but not great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QED)
    The new album really isn't that great, as Gruff has been leaving all the good ideas for Neon Neon. SFA are very good, but I wouldn't call them 'best since the Beatles'. Radiator and Gorilla are two very good albums and the rest imo are decent. They're consistently good, but not great.
    Fair enough, it's not as good i agree, but still great for me. You miss the point too, I didn't say they were best since The Beatles. I mean i think they share some similarities in the music. Too much stuff in the 70s and also 80s too i guess like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Queen. 3 other great bands. But tbh i think they're one of the best bands.

Btw, i haven't heard about this Neon Neon thing, care to enlighten me please

ReputationRep:
    I would like to nominate U2.

ReputationRep:
    i would have to say worst,sorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benmh92)
    Btw, i haven't heard about this Neon Neon thing, care to enlighten me please
    Gruff Rhys side-project. Recent album was very good and Mercury-nominated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QED)
    Gruff Rhys side-project. Recent album was very good and Mercury-nominated.
    Yes, is there another one on the way then? Or was it one off?

ReputationRep:
    No idea.

ReputationRep:
    Oh right, thought you were implying there was a new album or something.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.