Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Super Furry Animals - Best band of the past 20 years? watch

ReputationRep:
    Surely the Spice Girls are?

ReputationRep:
    My vote would have to go to Radiohead, I'm afraid :rolleyes: but nominating U2 is also a good shout.

That being said, I probably haven't listened to enough Super Furry Animals to make a completely informed decision, so the jury's still out.

ReputationRep:
    Why do people bother starting these threads? The vast majority of people on this site will have a different opinion of the greatest band of the past 20 years and couldn't give a flying **** about yours. I happen to think Depeche Mode are the best band of the past 30 years and despite how spectacularly interesting that may be, I don't feel compelled to create a thread about it. ****...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benmh92)
    Yes, is there another one on the way then? Or was it one off?
    He's actually made a few solo albums. The all welsh language, and probably his best (sorry for perhaps sounding elitist), Yr Atal Genhedlaeth, which is a lot better than a few SFA albums. The more mainstream but a little bit boring Candylion, and the all round pretty nice Neon Neon. A few other members have side projects too, like the Acid Casuals and The Peth. Haven't heard any of their stuff though.

On the point in question, OP, I think the problem with SFA is that they haven't had a masterpiece, a definitive record that pushes them into the mainstream. And to be honest, I never think they will. A few of my friends are big SFA fans, and we all have a different favourite (mine being Lovekraft, just out of interest). If you think of the other bands in their 'generation', so to speak, they pretty much all had a definitive record where you knew if you wanted to listen to them, you started there. Radiohead had OK Computer, Oasis had What's The Story (Morning Glory), Blur had Parklife, Spiritualized had Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space. Similarly the bands who were involved in the 'Cwl Cymru' scene of the mid-nineties had definitive albums - Manic Street Preachers' The Holy Bible, Gorky's Zygotic Mynci's Barafundle. Even the quite bland Catatonia had International Velvet. This problem is perpetuated by the fact that they have so many albums, and that they're all different in their ways - from the Beefheart-inspired Fuzzy Logic, to the all welsh language Mwng, to the quite poppy, mainstream Hey Venus!.

To be honest I think the Radiohead comparison is a weak one, bought about by your apparent hatred of the band(!). Radiohead are a band you feel emotionally connected to in a much stronger sense that SFA, who are just generally fun to listen to. It's the same as comparing Bob Dylan to Sparks or something - sure, they're both great in their own ways, but if I wanted to concentrate hard on some music or I wanted to really appreciate some music, I know who I'd listen to the former, as I'd get much more out of 'It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)' than 'Ugly Guys With Beautiful Girls'.

Regardless, I guess they're kind of underrated. Although, they're big especially with welsh speakers in Wales, and extremely successful in Japan. They're just a 'cult band' you could say. Part of their charm is in their niche, odd approach to music. If you don't like it, stick it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trachimbrod)
    He's actually made a few solo albums. The all welsh language, and probably his best (sorry for perhaps sounding elitist), Yr Atal Genhedlaeth, which is a lot better than a few SFA albums. The more mainstream but a little bit boring Candylion, and the all round pretty nice Neon Neon. A few other members have side projects too, like the Acid Casuals and The Peth. Haven't heard any of their stuff though.

On the point in question, OP, I think the problem with SFA is that they haven't had a masterpiece, a definitive record that pushes them into the mainstream. And to be honest, I never think they will. A few of my friends are big SFA fans, and we all have a different favourite (mine being Lovekraft, just out of interest). If you think of the other bands in their 'generation', so to speak, they pretty much all had a definitive record where you knew if you wanted to listen to them, you started there. Radiohead had OK Computer, Oasis had What's The Story (Morning Glory), Blur had Parklife, Spiritualized had Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space. Similarly the bands who were involved in the 'Cwl Cymru' scene of the mid-nineties had definitive albums - Manic Street Preachers' The Holy Bible, Gorky's Zygotic Mynci's Barafundle. Even the quite bland Catatonia had International Velvet. This problem is perpetuated by the fact that they have so many albums, and that they're all different in their ways - from the Beefheart-inspired Fuzzy Logic, to the all welsh language Mwng, to the quite poppy, mainstream Hey Venus!.

To be honest I think the Radiohead comparison is a weak one, bought about by your apparent hatred of the band(!). Radiohead are a band you feel emotionally connected to in a much stronger sense that SFA, who are just generally fun to listen to. It's the same as comparing Bob Dylan to Sparks or something - sure, they're both great in their own ways, but if I wanted to concentrate hard on some music or I wanted to really appreciate some music, I know who I'd listen to the former, as I'd get much more out of 'It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)' than 'Ugly Guys With Beautiful Girls'.

Regardless, I guess they're kind of underrated. Although, they're big especially with welsh speakers in Wales, and extremely successful in Japan. They're just a 'cult band' you could say. Part of their charm is in their niche, odd approach to music. If you don't like it, stick it.
    Fair enough, good post. I guess if they wanted mainstream success they would make an album suited for that like so many bands do. But i'm sure it wouldn't be as good if they did so i'm kind of glad they're that underrated pleasure really :yes: I'm Welsh myself and know barely many people at all who know much about SFA, but i'm not from a Welsh speaking place and i don't speak Welsh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benmh92)
    Such an amazingly consistent experimental band. I would rate them way over Radiohead and i think they totally deserve the accolade of best band of past 20 years easy. Such a criminally underrated band, and it's hard to name one bad song from their many albums. It annoys me greatly that they aren't more well known these days because they are still a great as ever. What do you guys think?
    I think YESS!

having listened to radiohead solidly for ages they allowed me to get into more experimental wacky music.
    SFA have since overtaken the head as my favourite band, and I really think they are the best band of the past 20 years, if by best you mean consistently amazing.

i think the name puts many people i know off, as does the fact they arent on the front cover of nme anymore or played on radio 1.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.