Turn on thread page Beta

London Place of The Lonely and Isolated! watch

ReputationRep:
    So I've decided to rant about the place i call home: London! I've lived and been raised here most of my life and i'm a second generation Brit with Filipino parents. I've been to places in Asia and in the U.S. mainly staying in California and even though travelling to places is a completely different experience i have to say i would happily leave London (And i am planning to do this in the future).

There are great things to do in this City and i'm sure the Historical side of London is appealing but the charm runs out very quickly, it's way too urban for me. I have never ever experienced problems with racism with the native English and ethnic minorities here and i'm proud to say some of my best friends are Caucasian Londoners right down to African Americans. But i do feel though that people here are taught to be tolerant BUT are deeply intolerant (which can be a problem in itself) i see it everyday down to the way my international friends who lack English are almost frowned upon when speaking even though they attempt to adapt to English ways. Actually a Spanish friend of mine who recently left London after 6 months told me she made 0 English friends which was disheartening and she isn't the shy and silent type!, i do feel London is full of cold people too caught up being busy to actually act with some friendliness and Kindness to strike up decent friendships and connections. Example... I think many of you fellow Londoners have been barged and bumped into in Central London without acknowledgment or an apology. And for all international newcomers to London apart from work colleagues and fellow countrymen i can understand it being very hard to strike up a huge friendbase.

And even though London is a very worldly city i do feel people born in London aren't very open minded to international visitors unless A) you speak fluent English or B) You're naturally charming or Attractive

I can understand why people work so hard here since it's a very expensive City to live in with so much competition for jobs. But i see too many people living for their careers and things material instead of living to experience the world beyond London. And as for London and relationships well that's difficult! You think it wouldn't be in a city full of different nationalities but the fact is people here tend to stick with their preferences whether it be race and what they're specifically looking for in a partner and it makes me wonder.. what happened to being in a relationship for love and the emotional connections. I can imagine seeing so many people in my generation being single right up there in their 30's and 40's in the future.

I think us Londoners need to take a page out of the Californians and smoke some 420 (weed) so we can all chill out and be open minded instead of being so uptight!

:yes:

ReputationRep:
    So what are you actually asking here? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Woops forgot to mention if anyone agrees or disagrees!

Try Luton.

ReputationRep:
    yes... thats what London needs people to take more drugs.... well done..

ReputationRep:
    Yeah a lot of the population are cold and unwelcoming, but it's the same with many cities. I find London's inner charm to greatly outweigh the coldness portrayed by its exterior. And unlike other Londoners, I love tourists. I kinda feel proud that they've chosen to visit London of all places. And as for relationship preferences, I have none. I go with who I'm attracted to. And I wouldn't call myself a naturally charming person, either. I smile a lot, but I'm quite shy.

ReputationRep:
    So you want us to work less and do more drugs?

ReputationRep:
    There is definately some truth in that - although its nothing to do with multiculturalism. London can be a very unwelcoming, anonamous city to live in.

Im currently in two minds if i want to live there or move up north

ahh up north; where strangers dont get offended if you make eye contact with them on a bus

ReputationRep:
    You all have great points especially about Big Cities and the whole atmosphere that goes with them. New York seems very similar to London. But don't get me wrong I am proud of being a Londoner even though my statements might seem the opposite of that

(Original post by ToeRag)
    yes... thats what London needs people to take more drugs.... well done..
    And to all those posters regarding my sentence about 420 and drugs it was jokingly said! :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'd hate to live in London to be honest, I like going there for day trips but I would be so miserable living there. It's too big and unfriendly. Hence why I'm not applying to any London unis.

Also I don't like the cockney accent, but that's a trivial point

ReputationRep:
    It's just the tourists/crime/transient population that make it crap.

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever even been to Cali? It's not like that!

Er, if you're in a nice, friendly part of London, and you're sociable, it's fine. I have loads of friends in and around London who I've just met on nights out and randomly in shops and stuff. You make the city what it is, just hang around somewhere a little more local, like Stoke Newington or something. Awesome pub just past the Jewish part, btw :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antimatter)
    Have you ever even been to Cali? It's not like that!

Er, if you're in a nice, friendly part of London, and you're sociable, it's fine. I have loads of friends in and around London who I've just met on nights out and randomly in shops and stuff. You make the city what it is, just hang around somewhere a little more local, like Stoke Newington or something. Awesome pub just past the Jewish part, btw :love:
    Right near Hackney though sadly.

ReputationRep:
    Move up North. People are a bit nicer up here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chillaxer)
    Right near Hackney though sadly.
    hackney is loveley reli nice theatre and loveley people xx

ReputationRep:
    Most of what you said is true of nearly all big cities, not just London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jay24)
    So I've decided to rant about the place i call home: London! I've lived and been raised here most of my life and i'm a second generation Brit with Filipino parents. I've been to places in Asia and in the U.S. mainly staying in California and even though travelling to places is a completely different experience i have to say i would happily leave London (And i am planning to do this in the future).

There are great things to do in this City and i'm sure the Historical side of London is appealing but the charm runs out very quickly, it's way too urban for me. I have never ever experienced problems with racism with the native English and ethnic minorities here and i'm proud to say some of my best friends are Caucasian Londoners right down to African Americans. But i do feel though that people here are taught to be tolerant BUT are deeply intolerant (which can be a problem in itself) i see it everyday down to the way my international friends who lack English are almost frowned upon when speaking even though they attempt to adapt to English ways. Actually a Spanish friend of mine who recently left London after 6 months told me she made 0 English friends which was disheartening and she isn't the shy and silent type!, i do feel London is full of cold people too caught up being busy to actually act with some friendliness and Kindness to strike up decent friendships and connections. Example... I think many of you fellow Londoners have been barged and bumped into in Central London without acknowledgment or an apology. And for all international newcomers to London apart from work colleagues and fellow countrymen i can understand it being very hard to strike up a huge friendbase.

And even though London is a very worldly city i do feel people born in London aren't very open minded to international visitors unless A) you speak fluent English or B) You're naturally charming or Attractive

I can understand why people work so hard here since it's a very expensive City to live in with so much competition for jobs. But i see too many people living for their careers and things material instead of living to experience the world beyond London. And as for London and relationships well that's difficult! You think it wouldn't be in a city full of different nationalities but the fact is people here tend to stick with their preferences whether it be race and what they're specifically looking for in a partner and it makes me wonder.. what happened to being in a relationship for love and the emotional connections. I can imagine seeing so many people in my generation being single right up there in their 30's and 40's in the future.

I think us Londoners need to take a page out of the Californians and smoke some 420 (weed) so we can all chill out and be open minded instead of being so uptight!

:yes:
    wow i just came across this thread (sorry to bring up a v. old thread!) but just had to comment that i can't believe i've found someone who also feels this way about our home city. this has become increasingly evident to me after I took a year out abroad where i met many international people. i find that their outlook is so different from my home friends in London who are tbh very narrowminded in terms of understanding/tolerance of cultures in comparison. sometimes when i talk with school friends i find myself becoming incredibly frustrated because i know they have no idea what's on the other side. i definitely agree with your comment about people here looking down on (even if not consciously) foreigners who have either come over for study or even just a visit. this is also part of the reason I really don't see myself staying in the city or the UK for the rest of my life(!). anyway i don't mean to bash London, its just nice to see someone else who can understand what i feel on this particular subject!!

ReputationRep:
    I live in London and I have plenty of friends. Ok I'm white english and who I go out drinking with are white english but I really dunno where im getting to.....

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.