Turn on thread page Beta

Alone on a different continent. watch

The title pretty much sums up my problem, but I'll explain anyway. For Summer I wanted to do something different and beyond my limits, so I saved up for a trip to Australia, to stay for a couple of months. I've been staying with family, and whilst the adults have been fantastic, I don't want to hang around with them all the time.
    They have two sons, who are a couple of years older than me, but one doesn't have much to do with anybody, and though the other has made a bit of an effort, I can't help but think it's only because his mum has asked 'will you take so and so here' etc.

Anyway, I've been keeping busy, doing stuff everyday, but I get home about 5pm, and after that I have nothing to do all evening - I've taken to going to sleep around 8/9pm because of the lack of anything to do.
    In addition to that, I'm not sleeping well at all (wake up every hour or so)

Today I went walking along Circular Quay, and saw the sun shining on the Opera House, and the Harbour Bridge gleaming in the light, and I just burst into tears, I can't enjoy myself... this wasn't how I felt I'd feel on a once in a lifetime trip... I'm actually counting down the days til I get to go home.

I have no idea where I can go to meet people, I'm a bit nervous about going to pubs/clubs by myself in a foreign country. At home I always got attention from the opposite sex, but no one seems to look twice at me here. I just feel isolated and fed up

ReputationRep:
    I guess maybe you should do something different and go to a pub or club because how else can you expect to meet people?
    I think you need to just be let out.
    Dont worry so much, looking on the bright side you wont stay there forever (then you would have a problem)

ReputationRep:
    Look into places where tourists may go, as i expect it is backpackers paradise down there at this time of year, with it being summer here so people have some spare time to travel.

You may not be far wrong from going to the tourist information centre and asking them for help, which im sure they will be helpful in, asking where the best place to go for tourists/backpackers to go. Obviously some natives aswell.

If you try and put yourself out there at least you can say to yourself that you tried.

ReputationRep:
    Wow you really don't have to feel like this. Think about it.... you're away from home in a free country and as a non-native you can pretty much get away with being a bit of an idiot and people just putting it down to you being foreign. You can't really get more free than this.

Don't expect the family to be that great and helpful, afterall they've done a very nice thing letting you stay in their house already (even if you're paying them) so just be grateful for that and be nice to them. Now when you go around the town just remember that you are pushing yourself and it's a challenge to be on your own but accept that and then relax. You know you might be tested and you might not be 100% over the moon on your trip but you went out there and you did it! So if you can do that you can do other stuff too like talking to strangers. Just remember that you want to experience another country right? So talk to people and find out about them. learn from them. Learn more about yourself from them.

You can easily talk to people in pubs just explain that you're on your own and a bit bored perhaps they'd like a drink? And ask them about the town and stuff. People are usually much nicer than you first think.

ReputationRep:
    Remember, it's a big city, you can get talking to a load of random people, **** it up, then try again somewhere else. No one will remember you, and you might meet some awesome friends!

ReputationRep:
    Dude. Find a hostel, get yourself booked in there for a couple of nights! Sydney is awesome when you find some people! It's sooo easy talking to backpackers, just find them.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely check into a hostel, certainly the best way to meet new people and have a good time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Dude. Find a hostel, get yourself booked in there for a couple of nights! Sydney is awesome when you find some people! It's sooo easy talking to backpackers, just find them.
    Oh yeah I agree. ditch the family and find a hostel. In most countries its quite nice to stay with a family and get a more authentic feel and they can help you keep safer. But Sydney is already Western and safe so I think you're better off just getting in a cheap hostel and find some fellow backpackers.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.stayatbase.com/base-backp...sydney-hostel/

I'd recommend the above hostel. It's quite expensive as far as hostels go, but it's clean(ish), has a good atmosphere and a lounge/tv room where you'll meet loads of people. It's also handily next door to the Scary Canary, home to one of the best guitar duos I saw out there. :yep:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2009
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.