Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you prefer to call or text someone?! Watch

• View Poll Results: call or text?
    calling
    28.72%
    texting
    76.60%

ReputationRep:
    one for the women mostly..but do you prefer to either call or text, especially when you're not actually doing anything?!

most women I know always want to text (even if they're at home), rather than calling. I tend to speak to more women than guys for casual conversations, but it's a shame I can never use most of my free minutes as calling is so much easier than a txt msg conversation (obviously speaking in person tops that).

for me, texting is alright if your sending a quick message/2 messages to someone, but I think i've 'grown out' of text message 2-page-each conversations (even though it does look cool if you're using an iPhone). I don't mind doing it, but just prefer not to.

I can't seem to find a girl these days who wants to talk on a phone rather than text, even when it's costing 'em nothing!

They're both objectively terrible modes of communication. Calling is marginally preferable.

ReputationRep:
    Terribly impersonal to text, but sometimes necessary and cheaper - especially for those of us able to hold 15 second conv as below:

"Hi Andy, Chris. Drink?"

"Sure. What time?"

"6pm, The Mitre Pub?"

"Yep see you then"

*click*

ReputationRep:
    I call if I know they're free, I'll text if I don't know for sure.

ReputationRep:
    I text cus i have free texts but i prefer people to call me haha, but I dont call people because o2 costs quite a fair bit :/

ReputationRep:
    I text when it's something that can wait, or when I'm fairly bored. But I call when I want an actual conversation, or it's something that can't wait.

I don't understand people who text, rather than call, when it's urgent...

ReputationRep:
    Well like texting on QWERTY phones, but ones without the 'qwerty facility' well lets just say I wana break the crap outta that phone.

So calling all the way for me it's so much easier just to say the damn word rather me taking 10 hours to type in one bloody word!

But I do like texting on blackberry's! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    When it's urgent - Call.
    General - Text.

There are some people who are just =\ on the phone, it's so much less awkward to text. My good mates usually call me anyway, seeing as they have minutes. I have unlimited texts which are great when you're bored but mehhh most of the time.

Texting definitely! Calls are just awkward sometimes and can drag on waay too much.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what I have to say.
    But usually calling.

ReputationRep:
    Calling, less open to misinterpretation.

ReputationRep:
    Texting. I find talking on the phone a little uncomfortable, don't know why.

ReputationRep:
    I text almost everything, On my contract I get 600 minutes and 500 texts. Last month I used about 10 minutes and this month I've already run out of texts and am currently running up an additional bill and I wont receive my new monthly allowance until sunday. I tried to get a bolt on from O2 after reading about it on the website only to be informed by an advisor they don't do them anymore, even though it says on the website about them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anisha.doshi)
    Texting definitely! Calls are just awkward sometimes and can drag on waay too much.
    Thissss

ReputationRep:
    text caus it saves money lol

ReputationRep:
    Well i have unlimited texts and a few hundred minutes so its not gonna cost me any more either way...i generally prefer to call if i have something specific i want to natter to someone about, if its just a social 'how are ya?' i'd probably text tbh. x

ReputationRep:
    Texting mostly, I don't like phonecalls unless it's too particular people lol. But I'm generally a texting girl!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryBakewell)
    I text cus i have free texts but i prefer people to call me haha, but I dont call people because o2 costs quite a fair bit :/
    you on pay as you go then? i'm with 02 but won't know the prices of texts and minutes until I go over my limits...!

(Original post by anisha.doshi)
    It won't be necessarily a long convo though, just like 30 mins or something.

(Original post by CityOfMyHeart)
    When it's urgent - Call.
    General - Text.

There are some people who are just =\ on the phone, it's so much less awkward to text. My good mates usually call me anyway, seeing as they have minutes. I have unlimited texts which are great when you're bored but mehhh most of the time.
    True. It's as if people like that are just bored of speaking on the phone.

(Original post by StandardStudent)
    Calling, less open to misinterpretation.
    I agree. It's the same I find with MSN; the very fact you can't see someone and see their emotions (etc) makes it quite awkward when you have said something that just comes out as emotionless (flat) in a message when it was never meant to 'sound' like that..!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    I text when it's something that can wait, or when I'm fairly bored. But I call when I want an actual conversation, or it's something that can't wait.

I don't understand people who text, rather than call, when it's urgent...
    Im not even making this up but i have a text from a while back on my phone:

"next doors house fell down, police and fire engines on the way. come quick xx"

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    text - i hate talking on the phone

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.