Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Really don't know what to do about travel money Watch

ReputationRep:
    hey i'm going to spain in 3 weeks and i'm taking around £500 with me

but i don't know which form to take it in ( cash,cheques etc)

How doyou nowmally take money abroad

they have advised me to not use my natwest debit card as they charge a bomb and i'mlooking into these prepaid card but i'm not to sure

help please i'm going in 2 weeks

ReputationRep:
    How close do you live to central London?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    How close do you live to central London?
    not really why

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tweety_2479)
    not really why
    There's a shop off Regent Street that does really good rates for cash and traveller's cheques.

ReputationRep:
    I know from co-op travel you can get things called Cash Passports. You put however much money on them and can use them like a debit card abroad. I took one with me on my last holiday and fet so much safer than taking a wad of euros with me! http://www.cashpassport.com/ Have a good holiday!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophia.maria)
    I know from co-op travel you can get things called Cash Passports. You put however much money on them and can use them like a debit card abroad. I took one with me on my last holiday and fet so much safer than taking a wad of euros with me! http://www.cashpassport.com/ Have a good holiday!
    thanks for that i actually got one of them today :yes:

ReputationRep:
    thanks for that i actually got one of them today :yes:

Just a quick bit of info in spain they dont have chip and pin! Therefore when i took a cash passport i thought ohhh well ill just use a cash machine! little did i know that with these cash passports some of them charge 10% on withdrawals from an ATM! therefore of my £500, £50 was suckd out from that! So wherever possible use your card directly, like paying for food, ask for cashback etc!!

Have a good time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greg1004)
    Just a quick bit of info in spain they dont have chip and pin! Therefore when i took a cash passport i thought ohhh well ill just use a cash machine! little did i know that with these cash passports some of them charge 10% on withdrawals from an ATM! therefore of my £500, £50 was suckd out from that! So wherever possible use your card directly, like paying for food, ask for cashback etc!!

Have a good time!
    thanks for that but the women that explained it to me today said that they willonly take 2 euros everytime i use an atm and that everytime i use a debit card in store it will be free ..... that was at thomsoms

ReputationRep:
    We should have a freaking sticky about Nationwide Cash cards :thumbsdown: :sigh: (google it, no charges)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    We should have a freaking sticky about Nationwide Cash cards :thumbsdown: :sigh: (google it, no charges)
    Ditto... just a sticky about banking/money abroad in general as the amount of people who seem to think there are no cash machines outside of the UK is quite scary! (not aimed at anyone on this thread btw, just an observation)

ReputationRep:
    Why are there no stickys in the travel section? The amount of repeat questions on here is outstanding. Quite often I don't even reply anymore, just quote stuff I've posted in the past! It astounds me peoples total inability to use the search function =X Often there are even two or more threads on the same topic on the front page. Is there a travel moderator?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    I know, I only discovered like, in tiny writing on Nationwide's website. Cash cards ftw.

If you have a Flexaccount the debit card charge doesn't happen in Europe though, and when it does, it's ridiculously low in countries like the USA compared to Lloyds, it's like 0.8% compared to 2.5%. I'd only recommend that one if you wanted it as your main one though.

Edit: And Ewan, I know what you mean, if I see another New York thread on "things to do" I'll try and suffocate myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    Why are there no stickys in the travel section? The amount of repeat questions on here is outstanding. Quite often I don't even reply anymore, just quote stuff I've posted in the past! It astounds me peoples total inability to use the search function =X Often there are even two or more threads on the same topic on the front page. Is there a travel moderator?
    Same, I just really can't be bothered replying to the same things which come up every single week without fail. That's why I prefer the gap year forum as questions there are generally more varied! Not sure if there is a specfic travel mod tbh as I don't really pay much attention to the ins and outs other than the few areas I use!

Hmm... maybe there should be some form of FAQ sticky thing involving money, things to do in NYC, what happens at the airport, how to book train tickets and whatever goes off in malia/zante etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    My understanding was that Nationwide didnt charge, but I thought as of april or may this year they had started to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kookabura)
    My understanding was that Nationwide didnt charge, but I thought as of april or may this year they had started to?
    Only on debit cards, and as already mentioned the charges associated are still lower than any other bank. Cash cards are absolutely charge free.

ReputationRep:
    personally I would just take it cash..
    as long as you hide it well and know where to put your money lol.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for that but the women that explained it to me today said that they willonly take 2 euros everytime i use an atm and that everytime i use a debit card in store it will be free ..... that was at thomsoms

oh right you shud be ok then i got mine from cooprative travel and in small print when i all ready loaded it up it said it cost 10% using atms but yours must be better!! have fun!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophia.maria)
    There's a commission charge every time you withdraw from a cash machine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H903)
    There's a commission charge every time you withdraw from a cash machine.
    When I used mine it cost 2 euros to withdraw from a cash machine. I didn't actually need to use it much in the end but when I did I just paid in the shop using the card!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    Same, I just really can't be bothered replying to the same things which come up every single week without fail. That's why I prefer the gap year forum as questions there are generally more varied! Not sure if there is a specfic travel mod tbh as I don't really pay much attention to the ins and outs other than the few areas I use!

Hmm... maybe there should be some form of FAQ sticky thing involving money, things to do in NYC, what happens at the airport, how to book train tickets and whatever goes off in malia/zante etc.
    Ditto this - also a sticky on travelling alone, that comes up a lot.

On the topic - Nationwide as some people already suggested. You'll get the best up to date exchange rate. Seriously never had any problems ever just using a debit card; there's almost always ATMs at your arrival airport (unless it's absolutely tiny obviously).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.