Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to apply to oxford to do geography (for entry 2010) but I'm really nervous about doing it. I really really really want to go but I'm abit shy about admitting it because I don't want to feel heartbroken if I don't get in. I got 9 A*s at gcse but I think I've seriously screwed up my AS levels. I'm worried about having to submit some work because I don't think i work hard enough at school. I don't think I'd come across well at interview- I can be very shy as I mentioned before and I'm worried about saying something completely ridiculous and ruining my chances completely. My big sister does PPE at oxford and after seeing what an amazing time she's having I can't not apply, however we are very different people. She's bookish and not very outgoing whereas I love being outside, playing sport, playing music, going to gigs, going out and generally doing sociable things and at school I'm captain and vice captain of a couple of sports and just generally do alot of stuff. I went to a party with my sister at her college and I met people there like me but I'm still not sure. I want to apply to Hertford and Worcester colleges although I don't know which to put down as first choice yet. Is it normal to be this nervous? Does anyone do geography at Oxford or know someone who does and can give me some tips about successfully applying? Any replies appreciated, thank you

ReputationRep:
    A few people get nervous, and shy. But I do think you should work on that - confidence can do wonders, as long as it doesn't cross over into arrogance. Maybe have some confidence classes or something?

I think however something I don't understand is that you want to apply to Oxford, but you don't work hard enough at school and you messed up your AS levels? You say that you don't work hard enough, and prefer to have fun more - so why apply to Oxford?

It would appear that you are just doing this to match up to your sister...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tipareth)
    You say that you don't work hard enough, and prefer to have fun more - so why apply to Oxford?
    To be fair, I know a lot of people at Oxford with exactly this attitude - doesn't stop them being there, or enjoying it, or ending up with a good degree

ReputationRep:
    My teachers do think I work hard enough though, and in fairness really I'm just quite efficient with my workload. And I just could have messed up my as levels, i dont know yet. Also I thought Oxford was a fun place? I do not underestimate the workload- my sister is doing ppe which is like the nerdiest course ever so I have seen what a hard slog it can be on that front but work hard, play hard? Have you met my sister by the way? I would never have to live up to her let me reassure you because we are completely different people, so whatever we do its not in competition or just for the sake of seeing who's better. I don't underestimate the value of going to Oxford, if my only motivation was to live up to my sister, I wouldn't apply, in fact I'd probably try go to Cambridge (and really be an enemy) or LSE (who she got rejected from) instead.
    Finally, confidence classes? lols. But thank you anyway, your post is one of the things that made me realise I actually really do want to make an application to oxford, not just for the sake of getting in but for being there, being challenged and having a wail of a time.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.