Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    General relativity means that when you travel close to the speed of light, time around you speeds up. In this sense it's possible to travel into the future by say, going in a rocket travelling really fast for a while, and while your stopwatch will say that 1 year has gone by, 10 years have gone past for everyone else.

Cutting to the chase, if someone came and gave you the opportunity to go arbitrarily far into the future this way, would you take it? The catch is that you can't go back in time, and you can only go alone.

If you would go, how far into the future would you travel, and what would you expect to see ? What would you hope to see ?

I'd be a bit hesitant to leave my family and friends behind, but i'm dead curious so i'd go a couple hundred years into the future hoping to see computers so smart that they've taken over as the engineers and designers of this world, intergalactic travel, contact with intelligent alien species, finally peace on this world and an end to poverty. The other possibility is that i'll land back on the machine world from the matrix, or one ravaged by nuclear war or some unstoppable disease that's brought humanity to its knees. Or something like that guy who wrote "the time machine"'s world where mankind has evolved into 2 distinct species; one manky underclass that steals and eats people from the tranquille and peaceful (and ultimately helpless) overclass. Or society could have changed into something like Orwell's 1984 where tech has become so advanced that even our own thoughts aren't private and the government has developed into an oppressive force too powerful to do anything about. Scary, 'citing :/

ReputationRep:
    chances are that humans will all have bowl hair cuts and will be the servants to Apes.

That is, if the 1960's version H.G. well's time machine is anything to go by.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spex)
    General relativity means that when you travel close to the speed of light, time around you speeds up. In this sense it's possible to travel into the future by say, going in a rocket travelling really fast for a while, and while your stopwatch will say that 1 year has gone by, 10 years have gone past for everyone else.

Cutting to the chase, if someone came and gave you the opportunity to go arbitrarily far into the future this way, would you take it? The catch is that you can't go back in time, and you can only go alone.

If you would go, how far into the future would you travel, and what would you expect to see ? What would you hope to see ?

I'd be a bit hesitant to leave my family and friends behind, but i'm dead curious so i'd go a couple hundred years into the future hoping to see computers so smart that they've taken over as the engineers and designers of this world, intergalactic travel, contact with intelligent alien species, finally peace on this world and an end to poverty. The other possibility is that i'll land back on the machine world from the matrix, or one ravaged by nuclear war or some unstoppable disease that's brought humanity to its knees. Or something like that guy who wrote "the time machine"'s world where mankind has evolved into 2 distinct species; one manky underclass that steals and eats people from the tranquille and peaceful (and ultimately helpless) overclass. Or society could have changed into something like Orwell's 1984 where tech has become so advanced that even our own thoughts aren't private and the government has developed into an oppressive force too powerful to do anything about. Scary, 'citing :/
    That won't be possible. You'll age normally. That's a loophole in this "discovery". In movies, people travel into the future like they've got on a plane and flown to a different country. It won't be that simple. If you travel 200 years into the future then you'll be dead less than halfway through the journey..Turning up dead in your spaceship isn't very useful is it :tongue:? I know i'm over analyzing a bit but since this is an actual theory and not your average "would u want to time travel?" question, i had to :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khalaf)
    That won't be possible. You'll age normally. That's a loophole in this "discovery". In movies, people travel into the future like they've got on a plane and flown to a different country. It won't be that simple. If you travel 200 years into the future then you'll be dead less than halfway through the journey..Turning up dead in your spaceship isn't very useful is it ? I know i'm over analyzing a bit but since this is an actual theory and not your average "would u want to time travel?" question, i had to
    Well actually the closer you get to the speed of light, the greater the time dilation, so if you were travelling at .9c, 1 year for you would be 2 and a bit years for everyone else. If you went at .99999c 1 year would go to 224 years. There are plenty of other limitations and considerations, but this isn't one of them.

ReputationRep:
    You won't age normally, that's why it's time travel...

I'd go maybe 1000 years into the future. I think then I'd still have a chance of being understood, but would get to see some amazing technological progress and a totally different world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spex)
    Well actually the closer you get to the speed of light, the greater the time dilation, so if you were travelling at .9c, 1 year for you would be 2 and a bit years for everyone else. If you went at .99999c 1 year would go to 224 years. There are plenty of other limitations and considerations, but this isn't one of them.
    I don't understand a thing you just said but you seem to know alot about time travel so i'll assume you're right in saying that you wouldn't age when doing this..I wouldn't want to travel into the future if i was able to, i like living in the present :grin:...And it sucks knowing that i wouldn't be able to go back in time if the future turns out to be a mess :tongue:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.