Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My boyfriend needs muscle! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm a very girly girl and I'm scared to say my boyfriend is the same weight as me! I think he should put on some muscle! Hes done some research on the internet and it says you need 1 gram of protein for every pound of bodyweight, right? We've tallied up his protein intake and it comes to 90 grams/ day. Is this enough for him? He weighs 135 pounds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indigoblue)
    I'm a very girly girl and I'm scared to say my boyfriend is the same weight as me! I think he should put on some muscle! Hes done some research on the internet and it says you need 1 gram of protein for every pound of bodyweight, right? We've tallied up his protein intake and it comes to 90 grams/ day. Is this enough for him? He weighs 135 pounds
    You do realise that you don't just eat more protein and build muscle, right?

ReputationRep:
    Whatever happened to loving someone for who they are?

ReputationRep:
    Also, if you know that he should have 1g per pound of bodyweight, and you know he's eating 90g and weighs 135lbs, then you KNOW that's not enough, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diabla)
    Whatever happened to loving someone for who they are?
    It never was and never will be a reality.

Whatever happened to men being masculine?

ReputationRep:
    Maths fail?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)

Maybe girls these days are sort of lesbian, but are too afraid to come out, so they go for guys that are more like girls?

ReputationRep:
    It would be hilarious if he put on muscle and then dumped you for someone who didn't really care how he looked.

ReputationRep:

Whatever happened to men actually being masculine and not being all vain and spending hours working to improve their body shape (both typically feminine traits...)?

Men are less built now because fewer men have jobs as railway workers/miners/cowboys, etc

ReputationRep:
    What a shallow female!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nessiehibs)
    Maths fail?
    read it again :p:

ReputationRep:
    Its fair enough, it sounds like he does need muscle. If his bird is making sure she's keeping off the chocolate and ice cream then the least he can do is make an effort himself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MC REN)
    Whatever happened to men actually being masculine and not being all vain and spending hours working to improve their body shape (both typically feminine traits...)?

Men are less built now because fewer men have jobs as railway workers/miners/cowboys, etc
    I didn't say there was anything masculine about being vain about your body and working out solely to look better. I do think there's something masculine about being interested in challenging physical activity and a more impressive physique results from this.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for your concern but hes happy to do it for me :p:

Can it be done with 90 grams protein though?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for your concern but hes happy to do it for me :p:

Can it be done with 90 grams protein though?
    Well, yes it can but it's not going to be quite as fast as if he had more protein because he's not eating more than the amount where any extra protein would just be wasted. Also, remember that in order to get bigger he'll have to eat an overall excess number of calories to gain weight (and also remember that not only does this mean eating more than he does now, but he has to increase the amount further if he's starting exercise after having done nothing previously).

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say there was anything masculine about being vain about your body and working out solely to look better. I do think there's something masculine about being interested in challenging physical activity and a more impressive physique results from this.
    well you sort of implied it since the OP is talking about her BF getting bigger purely for her comfort...

But anyway, I don't actually disagree with you

ReputationRep:
    If he's already skinny he shouldn't have any trouble toning up. Does he go to the gym or is he looking for exercises that he can do at home/in the park?

If he starts exercising then he'll natrually start eating more. As long as he eats a bit more protein than normal he'll be able to tone up.

Bulking will obviously take longer, but getting some definition would be a good start

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MichaelG)
    read it again :p:
    Embarrasement pass?

Actually, i still dont get it.... Is the OP just pointing out that he isn't getting enough protein?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MC REN)
    well you sort of implied it since the OP is talking about her BF getting bigger purely for her comfort...

But anyway, I don't actually disagree with you
    I guess I did. But then from a more masculine guy you might expect that he'd be into sports anyway. Not that this is that important or I even place much importance in being a tough-guy (in others - in myself it's essential!). I can't really talk anyway as for ages I was one of those people who thinks that serious exercise is a waste of time.

ReputationRep:
    He isn't going to get heavier than you by putting on muscle. It's a long, slow process. If you're cheeky enough to be pressuring him to gain weight then have you considered losing weight yourself? Maybe you're the one that needs to change themselves and he doesn't have the heart to tell you?

...not nice being told to change for someone, is it?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.