Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My boyfriend needs muscle! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MC REN)
    Whatever happened to men actually being masculine and not being all vain and spending hours working to improve their body shape (both typically feminine traits...)?

Men are less built now because fewer men have jobs as railway workers/miners/cowboys, etc
    I'm not even sure this is true...

People have access to more food than previously. Besides, have you ever seen vids/pics of the earlier part of last century. Everybody was well small. Look at soldiers from WWII.

I think the only true absolute manly bruisers of modern history were Germanic-American workers that worked in the forest all day and came home to huge burgers. Where do you think America's huge portions/calorific food comes from?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Arteta)
    I'm not even sure this is true...

People have access to more food than previously. Besides, have you ever seen vids/pics of the earlier part of last century. Everybody was well small. Look at soldiers from WWII.

I think the only true absolute manly bruisers of modern history were Germanic-American workers that worked in the forest all day and came home to huge burgers. Where do you think America's huge portions/calorific food comes from?
    Yes but it's not just a case of sheer quantity of food but also the quality of food, which was much better back then. From what my granddad says men then were generally a bit more built compared to nowadays. I'm not talking about bigger bicepts peakz but just thicker torsos, broader shoulders, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Yes but it's not just a case of sheer quantity of food but also the quality of food, which was much better back then. From what my granddad says men then were generally a bit more built compared to nowadays. I'm not talking about bigger bicepts peakz but just thicker torsos, broader shoulders, etc.
    I can understand that, as it wasn't about aesthetics so much. But any pics/vids I see of people before, say the 80's, show that that guys don't seem to be as big. But then, they weren't as fat either I guess it's hard to compare.
    Besides, big pecs became fashionable quite late on didn't they?

You're certainly right about the quality, apparently this is the first generation of people where the life expectancy starts to drop. I bet food wasn't as tasty but at least they got in some good quality/healthy stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Of course the advantage of people eating crappily and being fatter now means that those of us who actually know what we're doing look all the more impressive :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 300mg)
    He isn't going to get heavier than you by putting on muscle. It's a long, slow process.

ReputationRep:
    95g of protein is plenty for a guy who weighs 135lbs. The US government advises an adult needs 0.8g/kg bodyweight per day for a maintenence diet. The WHO says 0.75. So your b/f only needs about 50g per day. 60g to be sure.

If he starts properly pumping iron then up to 100g may be advisable. But he'll also need plenty of calories too. Guessing from his bodyweight, may be as much as 3000kcal per day.

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who thinks perhaps the OP should be losing weight!?!?!?!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mick Travis)
    95g of protein is plenty for a guy who weighs 135lbs. The US government advises an adult needs 0.8g/kg bodyweight per day for a maintenence diet. The WHO says 0.75. So your b/f only needs about 50g per day. 60g to be sure.

If he starts properly pumping iron then up to 100g may be advisable. But he'll also need plenty of calories too. Guessing from his bodyweight, may be as much as 3000kcal per day.
    Yeah but the US government also said Iraq had WMD's :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't worry about the protein so much, the main thing is diet. Even if he has 10 protein shakes a day, if he doesn't have a good diet then it will take a million times longer to put weight on. Get him to cut junk food out, eat wholemeal breads, wholemeal pasta, chicken and so on for his 3 meals a day, and in between; tuna, nuts, and so on (there are a million website with nutrition advice on them).

"loving someone for who they are?"... lol wut?

ReputationRep:

There are plenty of studies that show endurance athletes, athletes in general, powerlifters and people following resistance training to need more than that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    There are plenty of studies that show endurance athletes, athletes in general, powerlifters and people following resistance training to need more than that.
    Studies by whom? Let me guess, studies sponsored by protein shake manufacturers? I've seen 1.6g/kg bodyweight suggest, maybe 1.8 - but I suggest that is the absolute limit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diabla)
    Whatever happened to loving someone for who they are?
    They got dumped "but for other reasons"..

ReputationRep:
    Studies by whom? Let me guess, studies sponsored by protein shake manufacturers? I've seen 1.6g/kg bodyweight suggest, maybe 1.8 - but I suggest that is the absolute limit.
    Do you not think that someone regularly doing strength based activity which requires a substantial amount of subsequent muscle repair afterwards is going to need a great deal more protein that someone who does no exercise besides walking around a bit?

Recommended amounts given as general rules without specifying what type of people they apply to are a joke, especially so for athletes who require vastly more from their bodies than the average person does. If, for example, you put a professional cyclist on 'recommended' daily calories and protein they wouldn't survive very long, let alone do well.

ReputationRep:
    So more than twice what you originally suggested?

http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/conten...ract/73/5/1986
    http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/con...ent=a785355350
    http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/abst...9/suppl_5/513S

+ hundreds more.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    No one cares what you think. I do much more than 1.8 and get much better results now. I've actually started growing again, as before I was stuck. Pretty much every big name strength coach recommends much more than 1.8. We have decades of experience proving that this is much much better than. No one cares what your studies say.

ReputationRep:
    I hate care bears who come into every thread where people are trying to improve themselves or help others to improve and say a bunch of crap about how they are fine as they are.

Protip: You wouldn't go out with a munter (unless you were a munter yourself, which I wager the majority of care bears are) entirely based on personality. In reality there has to be physical attraction, it is how humans are programmed. So if the OP finds her BF disgustingly skinny and wants him to improve, there is nothing wrong with it and she shouldn't be scorned because of it.

Being satisfied with people's failures or simply 'how they are' creates a world in which no one improves. I hate people like you. Get out of fitness and back to H&R.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.