Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello.

Okay so this year i'm applying to Oxford university and i have been thinking about applying to Worcester college or The Queens college as i like them both very much. Recently i decided on Worcester college cuz it just sounds amazing and its one of the only colleges that actually sent me a prospectus upon request. So there i was, doing some research into the college here at the student room and i came across loads of threads about English being one of the most competetive courses to apply for at Worcester. I want to study English and French as a joint degree and was wondering if someone could give me some more information as to how competetive it actually is to get in for that course. i know that if i'm good enough i'll get in anyway, but obviously i would like to better my chances of getting in if possible, perhaps by applying to a different college.

Thanks guys!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Your college choice will not impact on your chance of getting in due to pooling etc. Worst case is that you will be immediately referred onto another, less popular college.

If you ordered a prospectus from a college they will probably come through later in the summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChloeKitson123)
    as to how competetive it actually is to get in for that course.
    According to this:
    http://www.ox.ac.uk/gazette/2008-9/supps/2_vol139.pdf (table 6)
    English: 20% of applicants got an offer (2008); English and Modern Languages: 18%.

i know that if i'm good enough i'll get in anyway,
    Not quite. There are lots of people every year who are "good enough" (in that they could do the course at Oxford and probably get a decent degree) who do not get an offer, simply because there are enough people who the tutors judge to be better than them to fill the available places. It isn't so much a question of reaching a standard, it's a question of being seen by the tutors to be in that top 15-20% of applicants.

DtS
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I don't get the impression it's any more competitive than any of the other colleges. Two of the big subjects at Worcester (or Woostaaaaaaaaaa) are Theology and Music. There were quite a few English applicants when I was an interview helper last December but no more than for Law, PPE and the other big subjects

(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    I don't get the impression it's any more competitive than any of the other colleges. Two of the big subjects at Worcester (or Woostaaaaaaaaaa) are Theology and Music. There were quite a few English applicants when I was an interview helper last December but no more than for Law, PPE and the other big subjects
    I thought Worcester had the most applicants of any college?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Turdburger)
    It did last year, as a whole, but not for English. There is an "admissions report" on the Worcester website:

http://www.worc.ox.ac.uk/Undergradua...s%20Report.php
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    The Queens college don't offer English anyway, I think it's the only one that doesn't though. I wouldn't be surprised if Worcester was the most popular college- it's beautiful! However, popularity changes year on year and I have a feeling that Brasenose and Wadham will be very oversubscribed for English this year..........and possibly Exeter. Anyway, good luck with your application.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Turdburger)
    It often does for Music and probs Theology. Don't think it has the same rep for English though :nah:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by harriepoppy)
    The Queens college don't offer English anyway, I think it's the only one that doesn't though. I wouldn't be surprised if Worcester was the most popular college- it's beautiful! However, popularity changes year on year and I have a feeling that Brasenose and Wadham will be very oversubscribed for English this year..........and possibly Exeter. Anyway, good luck with your application.
    Queen's doesn't offer straight English, but you can still do English as part of a joint school there. ChloeKitson123 wants to apply for English and Modern Languages, so there'll be no problem in applying to Queen's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Queen's doesn't offer straight English, but you can still do English as part of a joint school there. ChloeKitson123 wants to apply for English and Modern Languages, so there'll be no problem in applying to Queen's.
    I just looked on the queens website, and although they offer english and modern languages they don't appear to have an english tutor mentioned in the "Governing Body" i'm kind of confused! Do you maybe know anything about this?? hopefully you do!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I just looked on the queens website, and although they offer english and modern languages they don't appear to have an english tutor mentioned in the "Governing Body" i'm kind of confused! Do you maybe know anything about this?? hopefully you do!
    That isn't necessarily a contradiction. If the subject is only taught as part of a joint school, it makes sense for them not to appoint any fellows in it. As far as I know there are still one or two English tutors at Queen's, though, and I'm guessing that if a joint-school student wants to do a paper which none of them teaches, he'll just get sent to another college for his tutorials.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.