Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm organising a little dinner party for myself and four of my girlfriends (nothing too fancy - just a nice relaxed dinner with some vino :p: ) and I'm looking for some inspiration in terms of what to serve up?

So if you were going to prepare a 3-course meal for a few friends, what would you make?

I'm not a terrible cook, by any means... so feel free to mention anything slightly elaborate if you want!

Thanks in advance! :o:

ReputationRep:
    my friends and I had one of these not too long ago.

We had a fairly simple starter (bruschetta with nibbles like olives, nuts, crisps, that sort of thing), then mushroom risotto for main course and a cake and chocolate brownies for pudding. Everyone seemed to really enjoy it and the food was good. These dishes are not at all hard to prepare and it is a good menu I think. You don't need to go too fancy!!

ReputationRep:
    good luck btw!

ReputationRep:
    Risotto sounds like a good idea! And I might give the sorbet recipe a go - sounds yummy! :p:

Thanks for the ideas!

ReputationRep:
    Stuffed peppers for a starter? With couscous or fetta? or something like that ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oh_adele)
    Stuffed peppers for a starter? With couscous or fetta? or something like that ...
    Ooh! Good idea! I love stuffed Peppers! lol thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Just watch Come Dine With Me and steal the winning menu. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Stuff pepper with hummus and some with goats cheese, top with coriander and/or rocket
    or carrot and ginger and coriander soup
    or tomato and basil soup
    entree- risotto- cherry tomato or mushroom risotto OR torte and salad or nachos topped with melted cheese, spring onions, jalepenos, guacamole, salsa, soured cream, shredded lettuce, on a bed of refried beans
    dessert-creme brulee sized pots filled with rice pudding, emerge a piece of at least 70% cocoa chocolate in each and allow to melt, brulee tops with brown sugar if you wish
    OR sorbet taster of mango and raspberry and lemon sorbets
    OR crumble OR cobbler and cream or custard or icecream, offer all

ReputationRep:
    Please, don't listen to all these amateurs. Here is a menu idea:

Starter
    Thai Prawn and Sweetcorn soup with noodles

Main Course
    Grilled Veal on a bed of ratouille and potato gratin

Desert
    Chocolate and pistachio ice cream with a chocolate fondant
    OR
    Baked Alaska

No need to thank me :yep:

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends had a weird half hour and decided to have a dinner party. Think it was to celebrate her turning vegetarian. Me and my mates all turned up, ties, the works etc. She started with a vegetable/tomato soup with some volovants and sweet potato sliced in half and filled with a cream filling of some sort. Then for the main we had home made cheese and tomato pizza but it was really nice crusty italian base with a side salad. Then desert was strawberries and cream.

(Original post by truthandtragedy)
    Just watch Come Dine With Me and steal the winning menu. :yes:
    Although I do like this idea

ReputationRep:
    Starter - Cupa Soup
    Mains - Pot Noodle
    Pud - Rice Pudding with a blob of jam

Thank you Peter Kay xD

On a serious note, have a look at the Daily Cooks Challenge stuff on ITV and get recipes off their website

ReputationRep:
    Sacchertorte. :coma:

ReputationRep:
    well here is my contribution
    http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...RA_en%26um%3D1

ReputationRep:
    onion soup. nice and humble and very nice

ReputationRep:
    Soup is a nice easy starter (watercress or tomato would be my choice) - make your own bread in the afternoon, and funk it up with sesame or poppy seeds, or sundried tomatoes, or olives, something yummy.

Pasta would be a good main course - with courgettes, peppers, mushrooms, spinach and cheese, with plenty of chilli and garlic Or cous cous with roasted vegetables and houmous or tahini. Portabello mushrooms in a peppery sauce with roasted potato wedges, spinach and tomato?

Dessert - mousse would be a good bet! A dark and white chocolate mousse, lemon white chocolate mousse...or creme brulee - dark chocolate and raspberry is a lovely creme brulee combination Mini tarte tatins, mini fruit tarts or flans, crumble, pavlova?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc101)
    Soup is a nice easy starter (watercress or tomato would be my choice) - make your own bread in the afternoon, and funk it up with sesame or poppy seeds, or sundried tomatoes, or olives, something yummy.

Pasta would be a good main course - with courgettes, peppers, mushrooms, spinach and cheese, with plenty of chilli and garlic Or cous cous with roasted vegetables and houmous or tahini. Portabello mushrooms in a peppery sauce with roasted potato wedges, spinach and tomato?

Dessert - mousse would be a good bet! A dark and white chocolate mousse, lemon white chocolate mousse...or creme brulee - dark chocolate and raspberry is a lovely creme brulee combination Mini tarte tatins, mini fruit tarts or flans, crumble, pavlova?
    Can I come to your dinner party please :p: It all sounds nommy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by friendsfanatic88)
    I'm organising a little dinner party for myself and four of my girlfriends (nothing too fancy - just a nice relaxed dinner with some vino :p: ) and I'm looking for some inspiration in terms of what to serve up?

So if you were going to prepare a 3-course meal for a few friends, what would you make?

I'm not a terrible cook, by any means... so feel free to mention anything slightly elaborate if you want!

Thanks in advance! :o:
    I would have to google these recipes, but this is what I would probably do:

Grilled Tuna and Salsa

http://www.ehow.com/how_4801105_gril...rus-salsa.html

Chicken and roast veg pasta

http://www.hub-uk.com/family18/family0883.htm

Chocolate Pie (A bit indulgent, but nice)

http://southernfood.about.com/od/cho...r/bl30628v.htm

Try ehow, hub-uk for more ideas.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.