Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

'Oh, I'm sorry to hear that...' ARGH. Watch

ReputationRep:
    This isn't about bereavement, rather about religion.

Does anyone else find it infuriatingly patronising when religious people say this after you've told them you don't share their religious viewpoint?

I remember once this happened in a coffee shop; it's run by religious people but they don't make it obvious, although they only employ Christians. One of the staff started talking to me and my family, and she inquired in a very friendly way about our religious beliefs. Me and my dad said we're atheists and she said, friendly as can be 'Oh, I'm sorry to hear that!' and then the conversation continued as normal.

I was fuming.

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Forgive them?

ReputationRep:
    Well she perhaps thought that it's a shame you do not have God in your heart and that she felt bad about that

Of course, it's fairly patronizing but she sounds like she was trying to be nice

ReputationRep:
    omg no one has ever said that to me but that would really p*ss me off! you should say it back!

edit: bit harsh but i hate it when people think that believing in god makes them better than you!!

ReputationRep:
    So what? Sounds like she was trying to be nice and no form of "oneupmanship" was going on.

You should grow up.

ReputationRep:
    I hate it when people say it full stop. Especially when it's not really anything they could influence, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    You took it that way, which is understandable, and she meant it in another, which is understandable.

I assume you took it as her thinking you were worse off for not being a christian? What she probably meant was just a friendly, "Oh well it's not as if imma gonna go convert you now" sort of thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenny28)
    omg no one has ever said that to me but that would really p*ss me off! you should say it back!

edit: bit harsh but i hate it when people think that believing in god makes them better than you!!
    I hate it when atheists think that not believing in God makes them better than you!
    Gah why can't people just leave it alone especially on this site!
    It's not hurting you unless they try and force it on you...and if they do that then go ahead rant and rave or whatever.
    But there's no need to attack someone just because they tell you their religion...and that happens to me alot.
    Ugh!
    Sorry not attacking jenny28 or OP just needed to rant.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why some people think saying 'I think you're wrong' but in softer words is trying to be nice... Why bother making the comment at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smeh)
    I hate it when atheists think that not believing in God makes them better than you!
    Gah why can't people just leave it alone especially on this site!
    It's not hurting you unless they try and force it on you...and if they do that then go ahead rant and rave or whatever.
    But there's no need to attack someone just because they tell you their religion...and that happens to me alot.
    Ugh!
    Sorry not attacking jenny28 or OP just needed to rant.
    Yh just to clear up im agnostic so i don't think that atheists or religious people are better than anyone and i respect both sides!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you would've liked anything she said in answer to what you said. She shouldn't have asked in the first place imo..

ReputationRep:
    It is very annoying when religious people talk to you patronisingly, as though they're speaking from a position of strength or something

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you OP. That's patronizing, and I would fume too!

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry to hear that it offended you :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    l am terribly sorry also

ReputationRep:
    grow a spine or 2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haeron)
    This isn't about bereavement, rather about religion.

Does anyone else find it infuriatingly patronising when religious people say this after you've told them you don't share their religious viewpoint?

I remember once this happened in a coffee shop; it's run by religious people but they don't make it obvious, although they only employ Christians. One of the staff started talking to me and my family, and she inquired in a very friendly way about our religious beliefs. Me and my dad said we're atheists and she said, friendly as can be 'Oh, I'm sorry to hear that!' and then the conversation continued as normal.

I was fuming.

Thoughts?
    You sound like a lovely individual. Getting infuriated by those with a different viewpoint to you. Not bigoted in the slightest.

ReputationRep:
    At least she didn't make a comment about you being condemned to eternal damnation. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    That christian lady makes it look like dat being non-religious is a bad thing!!! dats out of order! >.<

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sithius)
    You sound like a lovely individual. Getting infuriated by those with a different viewpoint to you. Not bigoted in the slightest.
    Nowhere did I say I was annoyed because she was Christian. It was the fact that she slipped in something that I really consider quite patronising (essentially 'oh what a shame!') in such a friendly way about a divisive topic. I have no problem with her having her beliefs, it's when she belittles mine that I have a problem.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.