Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

'Oh, I'm sorry to hear that...' ARGH. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haeron)
    Nowhere did I say I was annoyed because she was Christian. It was the fact that she slipped in something that I really consider quite patronising (essentially 'oh what a shame!') in such a friendly way about a divisive topic. I have no problem with her having her beliefs, it's when she belittles mine that I have a problem.
    This. I agree with you 110%, OP!

ReputationRep:
    I'd go Dawkins on their ass.

:awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I'd say, "I don't need your sympathy" and storm off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haeron)
    This isn't about bereavement, rather about religion.

Does anyone else find it infuriatingly patronising when religious people say this after you've told them you don't share their religious viewpoint?

I remember once this happened in a coffee shop; it's run by religious people but they don't make it obvious, although they only employ Christians. One of the staff started talking to me and my family, and she inquired in a very friendly way about our religious beliefs. Me and my dad said we're atheists and she said, friendly as can be 'Oh, I'm sorry to hear that!' and then the conversation continued as normal.

I was fuming.

Thoughts?
    I'm Catholic and the only Christian in my circle of friends, who are all liberal atheists. If religion/theology/philosophy comes up in conversation, I don't push my view on people or pity them for not believing. It's the choice of an individual - let them believe what they want to believe. OP, if that same question was referred back onto me, I'd be offended as well but try not to let it get to you. Not all Christians will make sly comments like that or try to convert you! :yes:

Only employing Christians? That's discrimination for a start. I don't suppose they have scruples about the denomination of their employees? There is a Christian led youth Cafe near to where I live, and they don't advertise the fact, or restrict entry to believers only. There are leaflets about various spiritual matters and churches on the wall.

As I said, my best friends are atheists and they're perfectly content with how they view religion. They don't hold the fact I believe against me, I don't hold that they don't believe against them. They have good reasoning, and are intelligent people. Like many, I believe that if people want to come to find faith in God, they will do so in their own time and out of individual choice.

It's remarks like that which cause people to stereotype those that have faith.

You've got every right to choose your own right and hold your own opinions, but a remark such as the girl made was out of order. Accepting atheism is part of being Christian IMO.

Sorry for the long post/ramble! :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    I don't see why you're fuming. It's a standard response to anyone disagreeing with you surely? What is there in that which is offensive? It's a fairly neutral thing to say to avoid an argument- "I'm sorry you disagree with me". I could understand you being "fuming" if she'd thrown coffee in your face and shouted that you were heathens who would burn in Hell, but as it was she simply acknowledged your differing opinions and changed the subject.
    Maybe the fact that she is not considerate of someone elses view. She considers it a shame for someone to be an Atheist. Therefore she thinks she knows better and that the other persons belief is wrong, or of lesser importance. Think of it the other way around.

For example:

Atheist 1: Do you believe in God?
    Christian 2: Yes, praise be to Jesus.
    Atheist: Oh, that is a shame.

Are you telling me Christian 2 would not take offence to this?

Typical double standards that I come to expect from organised religion. If a God was to look down on it, I'm pretty sure he would not agree with these volatile organisations and gang members.

There is nothing wrong with anyones belief. But make it between you and your God. Nobody else.

ReputationRep:
    Give her a Cleaveland steamer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sithius)
    You sound like a lovely individual. Getting infuriated by those with a different viewpoint to you. Not bigoted in the slightest.
    Not quite what the OP was saying though, is it?

ReputationRep:
    Yes if someone said this exact phrase to me I would buy a steamroller and run over them on multiple occasions, preferably on their birthday.

ReputationRep:
    Well, her being Christian, she would say that, because in her eyes it means you're going to Hell. No Christian wants anyone to go to Hell, so they're sorry about that. I don't see how it's so offensive or patronising.

ReputationRep:
    I understand where you're coming from, OP, but don't lose sleep over it.

ReputationRep:
    Just think, 'What would Jesus do?'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    Not quite what the OP was saying though, is it?
    People will always have different opinions to you. Getting 'infuriated' by them is both childish and unnecessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    I hate it when people say it full stop. Especially when it's not really anything they could influence, anyway.
    Yeah it is a bit of a pointless remark but sometimes you just don't have anything else to fill the gap. I don't at least. If someone told me they lost their parents then...all I can think to say is 'I'm sorry' even if I obviously had nothing to do with it.

ReputationRep:
    To the OP: You chose to drink in a CHRISTIAN coffee shop. What do you expect?

ReputationRep:
    There is no problem in saying that.

ReputationRep:

I feel sorry for them, as they have religion governing their lives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Ahha that cartoon is great. I wish women judged each other less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    At least she didn't make a comment about you being condemned to eternal damnation. :dontknow:
    This!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.