Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been reading the Medicine PS on TSR and I've noticed that (IMO) they're not that good. You get some good and bad ones but most always have some cheesy line. Are these what most Medical applicants submit? Or are these the general standard of TSR?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...nal_Statements

No offence to anyone who submitted their PS, they've really helped with structure but I think they could be improved.

ReputationRep:
    any particular ones

ReputationRep:
    I think if anyone studying any degree was to read the PS they'd written 6th form, they would cringe. I know I do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    any particular ones
    Well this one of the better ones.

But this :

Popular question asked to students applied medical courses was always the reason of why picking a career with great burden in their bright future. These students have came out survived this question with sort of answers. Some say they are destined to become a doctor. Some say the reason was because of their inspirational idols. Some state this career chooses them. Not to forget those who pick medicine to survive future unemployment. Their reason was based on basis that medicine was the most stable and important career. Medicine was crucial in war. Medicine was needed during economic turmoil.

Life without future prospect and vision were always dull and tedious. Symptoms like laziness and bored to death were signs for this illness. I suffered this infection long ago before I made my own reflection on a point on my life timeline. Reflection which I believe turns my life on the sinking gigantic Titanic upside down.
    :nope:

Good idea, bad execution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    I think if anyone studying any degree was to read the PS they'd written 6th form, they would cringe. I know I do!
    Let's read it then. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakujo)
    I've been reading the Medicine PS on TSR and I've noticed that (IMO) they're not that good.

Ok - well let's have yours out in the open and we'll review it so the general populus can see opinions of people who are actually at Med School and have helped thousands of applicants between them.

:bringit:

ReputationRep:
    Well this one of the better ones.

But this :

tbh the first is not one of the better ones, ive seen far better, and im sorry but that bit in bold, en fait, that whole second paragraph is very cringeworthy
    and doesnt make sense

ReputationRep:
    But this :

I was reading that the other day.. :o:

I'd think that there's no real way to avoid the cheesiness though :p:

ReputationRep:
    I agree, the ones on TSR are rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spacecam)
    Ok - well let's have yours out in the open and we'll review it so the general populus can see opinions of people who are actually at Med School and have helped thousands of applicants between them.

:bringit:
    Like I said in the OP, no offence is intended, I'm just saying that some of the examples are a bit cheesy and could be improved IMO.

And you will be getting mine soon enough, just after I've finished drafting it. :work:

ReputationRep:
    Like I said in the OP, no offence is intended, I'm just saying that some of the examples are a bit cheesy and could be improved IMO.

And you will be getting mine soon enough, just after I've finished drafting it. :work:
    More than a bit cheesy. To be perfectly honest, I think the ones on TSR are rubbish. Reading them will actually hinder your application opposed to helping it, because you'll subconsciously incorporate some of those ideas and hence write a load of ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    More than a bit cheesy. To be perfectly honest, I think the ones on TSR are rubbish. Reading them will actually hinder your application opposed to helping it, because you'll subconsciously incorporate some of those ideas and hence write a load of ****.
    Yeah but that happens with really good ones, I can't help trying to include a word I really like. The best one I've read is from a cam grad applicant, it just like :coma: throughout.

ReputationRep:
    You have to jump through the hoops though. Suck it up and play the game, and write the PS in the format that the admissions guys want to see it.

Sarcastic, fictional Personal Statements are always good fun. With the tighter deadline on Medicine, I had time to burn as everybody else was writing their spiels, so I had good fun with a few.

ReputationRep:
    i quite like mine! im not sure whether i want to send it in to be put in the ps library - someone might think its bad!!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but that happens with really good ones, I can't help trying to include a word I really like. The best one I've read is from a cam grad applicant, it just like :coma: throughout.
    My point is, don't try to think of clever ways of saying things... just be frank and honest. I think some PS on TSR shouldn't be there. They completely give the wrong impression and are frankly rubbish...

In fact, PS examples don't help you to write your PS. They just make it harder because you'll inadvertently copy stuff and ideas and then your PS will sound crap. Avoid reading other people's PS and focus on your own.

ReputationRep:
    Like some lines such as "I enjoy playing badminton, tennis and cricket" doesn't add anything whatsoever...

And other things such as "I am doing medicine because I enjoy science" should be so obvious from the content of the PS that it shouldn't need to be stated explicitly.

Then by cutting bits out, shortening bits by saying the same thing in fewer words... you can cram in more stuff that matters.

ReputationRep:
    I saw a really really lovely one, near the end. Got an offer from Oxford or Cambridge.

Something like "we cannot give people happiness but we can help them seek it" or something. I loved that one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
    I saw a really really lovely one, near the end. Got an offer from Oxford or Cambridge.

Something like "we cannot give people happiness but we can help them seek it" or something. I loved that one.
    Had this person got an offer from Edinburgh or Southampton, I'd be very impressed with the PS. Had this person got one from Leeds or the like, I'd be impressed with the PS.

From Oxbridge... I'd have no clue how good the PS is :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
    *Writes it down*

ReputationRep:
    *Writes it down*

That was from someone else's PS, on the Internet. Use that in your PS and it's plagarism, no?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.