Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure they were all from successful applicants? I remember reading one that was ridiculously poor. Didn't mention "why medicine" until final paragraph. Poor grammar. Talked too much about irrelevant things.
    Are you at medical school? Even better, are you on an admissions panel? How exactly do you know what criteria are used to decide whether a PS is "good" or "bad"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalis)
    Are you at medical school? Even better, are you on an admissions panel? How exactly do you know what criteria are used to decide whether a PS is "good" or "bad"?
    Nope; I'll freely admit you know better than me. But I can't see how you are sure all of the personal statements are from accepted candidates, and indeed I think it's misleading to tell people that they are.

ReputationRep:
    Calm down, his point was perfectly valid. I mean, have you actually read some of those PS's?! Some of them are like a textbook example of how not to write a personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoonosewot)
    Calm down, his point was perfectly valid. I mean, have you actually read some of those PS's?! Some of them are like a textbook example of how not to write a personal statement.
    Actually, you will find that I was criticising his critiquing of statements without any experience. I haven't, and cba, to look through 41 medical statements on the wiki, whether they are of decent quality is a different issue.

I read through a few. Gave me a great deal of sympathy for admissions tutors.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, you will find that I was criticising his critiquing of statements without any experience. I haven't, and cba, to look through 41 medical statements on the wiki, whether they are of decent quality is a different issue.
    My issue was also with the fact you stated that the authors of the statements had been accepted into medical school. That is by no means certain.

What you basically implied was that all PSs there were obviously good enough since the people who wrote them got offers. That is not true, and indeed could be misleading to applicants if they think some poor PSs (whose authors may have got 4 rejections) are prime examples of what to write.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and my point was that you don't need to have PS marking experience to know that some of those PS's suck, you just need common sense and a basic grasp of English grammar.

I don't get why you criticised him for pointing it out.

ReputationRep:
    I don't get why you criticised him for pointing it out.
    :iiam:

I cba arguing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    I was getting to it, but iv yet to find the good one i remember from last year, so instead i scored the recent PS which have been added to tsr.

30 - 4/5
    32 - 4/5
    34 - 2.5/5
    35 - 3/5
    36 - 3.5/5
    37 - 2.5/5
    38 - 2/5
    39 - 3.75/5
    40 - 2/5
    41 - 3.75/5
    42 - 3.5/5
    43 - 3.5/5

I rated those personal statements based on the following criteria

1. Realistic desire for medicine
    2. Realistic view of the medical profession
    3. Interpersonal skills
    4. Team work skills and communication skills
    5. Leadership skills
    6. School Participation
    7. Extra Curricular activities/ non academic interests.

Points 1+2 = 1 point
    6+7 = 1 point
    Others 1 point.

if you have any rate requests, link me the PS.
    Blimey - how long did that take you? It's takes me about five minutes just to read/ analyse one properly. :eek3:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Tyraell)
    Blimey - how long did that take you? It's takes me about five minutes just to read/ analyse one properly. :eek3:

Just the time it took me to read them, and i made up the scoring system in my head while reading them.

Im used to reading medicine PS now, i spent sooo long reading sample ones and my one last year. I think i have a pretty good idea of what makes a good personal statement.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    The Most recently added personal statment

Personal Statment 44

Acording to my scoring system the PS includes everything in my points system.

5/5

As it is clearly not the best PS I will advance the scoring system with more detailed criteria and give a new score soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    The Most recently added personal statment

Personal Statment 44

Acording to my scoring system the PS includes everything in my points system.

5/5

As it is clearly not the best PS I will advance the scoring system with more detailed criteria and give a new score soon.
    It for grad entry though they tend to be a lot better than normal entry.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Sakujo)
    It for grad entry though they tend to be a lot better than normal entry.
    Its only due to the greater experiences.

They have had 3 years more life experience than non graduate applicants and have greater experience in health care sector due to longer voluntary or working.

You have to expect more!

ReputationRep:
    Found another good one:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...nt:Medicine_43

Damn, how many acheivment has s/he got?:eek3:

ReputationRep:
    Found another good one:

The first paragraph of that one is really good. I like the list of skills that are listed having been learnt from A Level subjects. Dunno why lol, I just think it looks impressive for some reason.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Found another good one:

Its not that good, he does not fully expand on the leadership and interpersonal skills s/he has gained.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
    I found it:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...nt:Medicine_36

4 offers:
    SGUL
    Oxford
    Soton
    Imperial
    I actually read all of it. It was very interesting and executed in a fautless manner

ReputationRep:
    I've been reading the Medicine PS on TSR and I've noticed that (IMO) they're not that good. You get some good and bad ones but most always have some cheesy line. Are these what most Medical applicants submit? Or are these the general standard of TSR?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...nal_Statements

No offence to anyone who submitted their PS, they've really helped with structure but I think they could be improved.
    Just be extremely honest and be yourself..

An admissions tutor would smell cliche right away!

ReputationRep:
    Everything I read makes me more depressed.

But I haven't read anybody else's PS and don't want to until I've got a final first draft. Then I will.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.