Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is there an expectancy to move out after University? watch

• View Poll Results: Is there? Did you?
    Yes
    58.62%
    No
    41.38%

I'll be going to Uni next year and this has been bothering me.

Is there a general expectancy among students to move out of their parents homes when they go to University?

Have you? And what percentage, in your opinion, have moved out?

I am talking about the university in the same city as where you live.

ReputationRep:
    In my house yeah, and amongst my friends it is expected too. Whether we actually will remains to be seen.

How come it's bothering you?

ReputationRep:
    I think generally their is the opinion that student should move out when going to university. However if the university is close enough, many students do commute to university to save money, which lets face it is short. You could have made a poll to actively find some stats.
    Personally I am moving out for the first year at least. I am moving into halls.

ReputationRep:
    No not really, no one expects that students to leave home...people do understand.I did not move out, I did tell people, no one looked at me any differently....saying that I would have loved to move out to be honest and get me independance...lol

I can't wait to move out for university. Infact, i'd prefer it if i didn't have to come back for the holidays :p:

ReputationRep:
    I moved out when I started university, yes. I find it a bit strange if people don't - and when someone returns to living with their parents AFTER university I'll admit I pity them a bit. That's just something I, as a very independent person, don't understand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    I can't wait to move out for university. Infact, i'd prefer it if i didn't have to come back for the holidays :p:
    Strict Asian parents? :p:

(Original post by Psycho0101)
    Strict Asian parents? :p:
    Bordering on mentally unstable. Wait, no, way past mentally unstable.

ReputationRep:
    Generally I would say so, yeah. The first image university conjurs is independance from living away from parents which, I'm sure, a lot of teenagers dream about.

ReputationRep:
    in my experience, most people move out for uni, but come back home in some of the holidays.
    and after uni, if they don't get a job straight away, will move back home tempoorarily, until they have a job, and actually have the money to move out etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    I moved out when I started university, yes. I find it a bit strange if people don't - and when someone returns to living with their parents AFTER university I'll admit I pity them a bit. That's just something I, as a very independent person, don't understand.
    it's not that hard to understand

££££

ReputationRep:
    This.

ReputationRep:
    Bordering on mentally unstable. Wait, no, way past mentally unstable.
    Thought as much! A lot of threads on TSR are related to this.

ReputationRep:
    I read that one in three men aged between 20 and 40 still live with their parents (for women it's one in five).
    So I voted no, its obviously common

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...Hotel-Mum.html

ReputationRep:
    Amongst my friends there was the expectation that people would move out for uni.

To me, it makes sense. It was more a case of, "if I don't leave now, when will I?". The only person I know who stayed at home for uni did so because her parents didn't want her to move out. It wasn't really the money that made her decision, but that her parents would disapprove of her leaving home. She had offers from universities far away that she preferred, but essentially caved into parental pressure and stayed at home. I do pity her, because it makes me wonder when she'll ever have the guys to leave home. I mean, until she wants to move in with a boyfriend or husband, she'll never have an "excuse" good enough to move out without it being seen as an insult to her parents.

I don't really think it is a money issue, that people go back to live with their parents after uni. Or, not in the responsible, sensible sense. The people I know who moved back home aren't saving up to be able to get a foot on the property ladder, they aren't putting money aside for the future. They're essentially back to how they were living when they were in sixth form: having their parents cooking their food, doing their washing, and spending all their money on nights out and clothes. I can understand going back home temporarily while you look for a job, or longer term to save money for your own place, but these people just don't seem to want to be independent. And I find that bizarre.

(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    You have to come back for the holidays? Despite buying the accommodation at uni?
    You don't buy accomodation at the university; as far as i'm aware you only rent it during term time. And even so, why stay at university during the holidays? Everybody else would've gone somewhere :p:

(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    A bit awkward if you came back after leaving home with your parents didn't like you leaving.
    Well my parents will be paying the full cost of the university fees, accomodation, costs etc (like 70k over 3 years because i'm not British), so i doubt they'd let me leave if they weren't okay with it :p:

I think Mummy's reconciled herself with the fact that come the end of next year, i will no longer be at the end of a fairly short lease and besides, i'm an only child and she's a doctor consultant - who else is she going to spend the money on? :p:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    After a medical degree i kinda have too.

ReputationRep:
    It is expected that people move out, where I come form. But then the nearest unis are still about an hour and a half away by train.

My brother goes to Hull. He lives there, but when he went on an open day a girl who lived in Hull asked if it was better to live at the uni anyway. She was told, yes, it probably is, as you're then at the centre of the social scene and will probably make friends easier. I think it's a big part of the university experience, especially if you haven't lived alone before.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.