Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has some knowledge on how this would be possible without a food related degree? I've just graduated with 2.1 in Politics and although i didn't take food technology at A level, i did it at GCSE and i've also been running my own baking business.

I've researched the route I could take and it seems the only way is through a subject knowledge enhancement course, but the provider in my area says my degree excludes me from that.

Does anyone have any ideas how this could be posisble or am i wasting my time?!

Thanks!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by lawz22)
    Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has some knowledge on how this would be possible without a food related degree? I've just graduated with 2.1 in Politics and although i didn't take food technology at A level, i did it at GCSE and i've also been running my own baking business.

I've researched the route I could take and it seems the only way is through a subject knowledge enhancement course, but the provider in my area says my degree excludes me from that.

Does anyone have any ideas how this could be posisble or am i wasting my time?!

Thanks!
    Three years ago, we took on a graduate with an unrelated degree as a food technology instructor as we were unable to replace a retiring colleague despite advertising nationally on three occasions. She had a place lined up on a PGCE course but we were able to persuade her not to accept it and to move straight into the workplace.

She had no catering experience, knowledge or qualifications and did not even hold a hygiene certificate so it was a bit of a risk. Fortunately, she was up to the challenge and has now completed her NQT year.

Her name was passed to us by a supply agency. This may be a route you could explore.

ReputationRep:
    My girlfriend is a Food Tech teacher and her degree was in Fine Art. The important thing is a PGCE. For example, you could probably do a PGCE in Food Tech if you have a degree in science.

ReputationRep:
    Did she just a a fine arts degree and then a PGSE to become a food tech teacher, or did she have other related food tech qualifications?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Gdavies6790)
    Did she just a a fine arts degree and then a PGSE to become a food tech teacher, or did she have other related food tech qualifications?
    The person you are speaking to last visited TSR in 2009.

ReputationRep:
    Food tech usually hangs off Design and Technology. I don't think there are many "pure" food tech teachers. Most will have say half food tech and half something else.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.