Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does anybody else hate listening to STREAMED music? watch

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me who finds streaming music awful? I mean I understand using it on phones etc. but when people are on their computers and they go to youtube or last.fm/spotify when they could be downloading music and access it from their own hard disk straight away, it's just takes so much longer.

Leaving time/convenience aside, just the quality of the music itself is never really that good especially if it's being listened on like a 2.1/5.1 sound system, the bad quality is just amplified and lacks so much clarity. On headphones it's fairly decent, last.fm is good but youtube music is just soo awful! :eek3: I'm so used to listening to music at 320kpbs, it's got such clarity, that when I hear streamed music it just feels like a HUGE step down.

Anybody feel the same? I'm not saying streaming music is bad, and it definately has its pros especially in cases of using streaming music online on phones on the move. But why do it when you have a computer and could be listening to music in GREAT quality?

ReputationRep:
    I mostly listen to stuff I've downloaded, but Spotify also serves a purpose, as I can hardly possess every piece of music that I ever want to listen to

ReputationRep:
    Spotify is actually faster than iTunes for me.
    *shrug*

Because Spotify is free & legal. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I feel the same especially since there is almost no bass on it, sounds like it would be if some chav was blasting it out of their phone on the bus.

ReputationRep:
    The quality on Spotify and Last.Fm is fine..It can be a bit of a nuisance when the song keeps being interrupted to load but my connection is fast enough to keep the music playing without any interruptions so i don't hate streaming music, no.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with youtube, the quality totally ruins the song but spotify is quick, legal and good quality.

ReputationRep:
    I love streaming music. Have been doing so for the last few years now. Spotify quality is much better than youtube though. I hate it when stuff gets taken off youtube.

ReputationRep:
    I <3 Grooveshark. Instant music, no adverts and every song in the world. What more could you ask for? (Unless you have crap internet)

ReputationRep:
    I have a decent connection so Spotify never drops out, streams as if it was on my hard drive, with the added bonus that I don't have to pay to listen to new types of music and it's legal.

ReputationRep:
    Man, I understand that last.fm doesn't offer great sound quality, but still it's a great service. I learnt about many excellent jazz and fusion artists by just listening to the last.fm radio. It's so good that you can type the genre name or the artist name and listen to similar bands. It's great for music discovery.

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to have the money to have any bit of music I could ever want on my hard drive, but streaming will do the job just fine in the meantime.

ReputationRep:
    Spotify is decent enough quality even on a 5.1 system - through a laptop 3.5mm headphone jack. I'm not complaining.

ReputationRep:
    Yum Spotify

I'd happily give Jonathan a slap. He gets on my nerves sometimes ¬¬

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jabbamuffin)
    Because Spotify is free & legal. :yy:
    legal is boring

ReputationRep:
    Streaming music is GREAT. When I was travelling on my gap year I didn't take an mp3 player, so listening to my library on last.fm was the only access I had to my music. It's a great idea. Fair enough, if you're sitting at your own PC you can just listen to music off itunes/winamp/whatever, but being able to access your own music on someone else's PC is a great step forward.

Also you're missing the major positive of streaming. IT'S NOT ILLEGAL! It may not be tip-top quality, but it's the best you're legally going to get for free. Want better quality music? Buy it.

ReputationRep:
    Spotify is pretty decent quality. Also I'm lazy and cba downloading/unpacking whole album, then adding them to my media library.

I still do it but it's good when I'm in to an artist for a short period.

ReputationRep:
    What bit-rate is Spotify?

ReputationRep:
    I agree youtube is dodgy for music, but last.fm and spotify are really good IMO

(Original post by King4eva)
    legal is boring
    Sure, if you find punishment exciting. Not for me. :nn:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.