Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do most girls seem to want a slim toned body? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Is it just to attract guys? I find this hard to believe because plenty of girls with a naturally large body find nice boyfriends and girls know this! I was just wondering if this is the actual reason or do many girls want to be slim/toned/small boned because of a reason unrelated to guys such as it feels better, they will be better at sport ..or just looks better to them maybe?

I know that some girls are happy being volumptous maybe to them being bigger boned and having more body volume looks nicer.

ReputationRep:
    It is funny when fat girls are particular about a "slim and toned" guy. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    You're generalising girls too much. I could equally say that guys prefer a slim, toned girl.

It's just what people 'expect'.

ReputationRep:
    what a stupid question.

ReputationRep:
    well ... I wouldn't want a fat body instead?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe because an athletic frame is seen as both attractive and healthy?

Being chubby or skinny are both beautiful in their own ways, but a "toned" body is probably the better one to be (unless your sole reason for living is to attract men)

ReputationRep:
    Because there's still a general perception that it's desirable, unfortunately.

And there are many hypocritical big girls who claim to be happy with their size but aren't, and envy smaller girls. I wish there were more girls who are truly happy being big.

ReputationRep:
    I'm happy being a larger girl. I looked toned for a while (not deliberately) and didn't like it. Huge generalisation. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Because slim toned bodies are sexy.

ReputationRep:
    Not to stereotype, but girls generally publicly announce they want to be slim and toned to get attention. Deep down their proud of their bodies, and just want the approval of men, wanting them to say something the lines of 'you serious? you body looks fab as it is'.

Not that there's anything wrong with being slim and toned anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Because that's what comes with a balanced diet and good level of fitness, for me personally. And that's the lifestyle I want.

My body is a machine, it won't work for long if I don't treat it well.

ReputationRep:
    it may be a generalisation, but for once i think its true. slim, toned bodies ARE nicer, healthier (usually), more attractive to yourself and others...list goes on and on. i would hate to be fat...

ReputationRep:
    Because, the media, among other things, make the "majority of girls" believe that this is the only body type which is acceptable.

(Original post by sugarjunkie001)
    it may be a generalisation, but for once i think its true. slim, toned bodies ARE nicer, healthier (usually), more attractive to yourself and others...list goes on and on. i would hate to be fat...
    No.

ReputationRep:
    It looks better, clothed and naked.

ReputationRep:
    No.
    i understand that not every slim, toned person in the world is healthier than bigger people, but generally i would say there is a larger percentage of slim people who are healthy compared to fat people. come on.

ReputationRep:
    Because I want to feel confident in clothes - and I wont be if I have a muffin top spilling out of my jeans.

ReputationRep:
    I know I like my gym sculpted bod better than beer and takeaway one as it looks better, clothes look and feel better and I am more healthy.

Plus girls actual allow me to talk to them when I don't have moobs.

I'd assume similar reasons for women having slim bodies.

ReputationRep:
    Because to do the things I want and to see the people I like in life, I need a healthy body that's not fat and horrid and that won't let me down when I need to physically exert myself. Hard exercise with others is an amazing rush that I wouldn't have with a chubby body! Plus it looks hot in nice clothes ^_^

ReputationRep:
    To look good??

ReputationRep:
    Well I think many do mostly because of media... but I want it for myself (which guessing is a result of media influence), but I feel better when I'm doing sport a lot and have a toned body ! And as other girls have said, clothes fit better, and I'm more confident in my body...!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.