Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do most girls seem to want a slim toned body? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I would like to be slimmer and more toned to feel better about my self. I wouldnt like to be skinny tho!

ReputationRep:
    I'm a size 16 sometimes I love my size sometimes I hate it.. I am tryin 2 loose the weight! because I think if I was slimmer I could jus slip on anything in the morning and look good and I woulden'tfeel so paranoid about the way i lookI would feel alot more comftable with guys and alot more sexy and feminim when im with a guy as u can see from my profile pic im a tall girl as well so it don't help at all with my confidence!

ReputationRep:
    It's not just about looks, it's about feeling good and fitting into whatever clothes you want.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I would prefer to lose the weight I've gained over the past year because my body looked better out of clothes. I think that in many ways I look better clothed now, because I've got a bigger chest and hips, but I'd like to be able to wear clothes that, for instance, show my stomach, or wear strapless tops and not be paranoid about my arms, and be able to wear tight shorts again. I know that I can make my body look good by covering it in the right way, but I'd like to be able to show flesh and look good, also.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous,)
    Is it just to attract guys? I find this hard to believe because plenty of girls with a naturally large body find nice boyfriends and girls know this! I was just wondering if this is the actual reason or do many girls want to be slim/toned/small boned because of a reason unrelated to guys such as it feels better, they will be better at sport ..or just looks better to them maybe?

I know that some girls are happy being volumptous maybe to them being bigger boned and having more body volume looks nicer.

Well I think that girls that are too toned are unattractive. My girlfriend always wants to be thinner, even though I constantly tell her that she is fine the way she is. She just thinks I 'have' to say that because I'm her boyfriend but I really mean it.

My answer is I don't understand girls that do that but it may lead from childhood bullying or pressure from parents.

ReputationRep:
    Because having a slim and toned body is healthier than one that isn't. Even if you aren't fat then a body that does no exercise is still not as healthy as it could be.
    There is a difference between curvy and fat and people need to realise that even if a 'big girl' is happy with the way she looks, it doesn't mean she won't die at 40....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smile88egc)
    Because having a slim and toned body is healthier than one that isn't. Even if you aren't fat then a body that does no exercise is still not as healthy as it could be.
    There is a difference between curvy and fat and people need to realise that even if a 'big girl' is happy with the way she looks, it doesn't mean she won't die at 40....

but then there is the other extreme that being too slim will kill you etc. I prefer a healthy balance of the two, when I say that I find it unattractive I mean it in the sense that there extreme thin or muscley girls are just that.

I didn't mean that I like "unhealthy" girls.

ReputationRep:
    Because of the media...all the models are slim and toned (well, some of them are just plain skinny but still) so people think that that's how all girls should look.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Hannah)
    Because of the media...all the models are slim and toned (well, some of them are just plain skinny but still) so people think that that's how all girls should look.

I agree with that as well.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but think how many fat women there are compared to the number of women that are unnaturally muscular/thin....and yet the whole focus of the media in the last few months has been 'eugh look at these poor anorexic women', and 'big girls-you are beautiful' with everyone jumping on the bandwagon of the concept of 'the real woman'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smile88egc)
    Yeah, but think how many fat women there are compared to the number of women that are unnaturally muscular/thin....and yet the whole focus of the media in the last few months has been 'eugh look at these poor anorexic women', and 'big girls-you are beautiful' with everyone jumping on the bandwagon of the concept of 'the real woman'.
    I agree to some extent. There is a difference between curvy and attractive and unhealthy and that changes from girl to girl. I just think perceptions of some women are completely wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clements-)
    It looks better, clothed and naked.
    THIS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous,)
    Is it just to attract guys? I find this hard to believe because plenty of girls with a naturally large body find nice boyfriends and girls know this! I was just wondering if this is the actual reason or do many girls want to be slim/toned/small boned because of a reason unrelated to guys such as it feels better, they will be better at sport ..or just looks better to them maybe?

I know that some girls are happy being volumptous maybe to them being bigger boned and having more body volume looks nicer.
    a harder question would be why wouldn't I want a slim toned body?

ReputationRep:
    Because it looks good and is healthy, I presume.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouLou92)
    a harder question would be why wouldn't I want a slim toned body?
    you'd get beaten up by fat chavs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil2008)
    you'd get beaten up by fat chavs.
    but with the power of my toned physique i could outrun them! :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Being a healthy weight shows off your natural shape,whereas when you're overweight, your shape gets distorted, fatter stomach etc, and its just not as attractive unless youre one of the lucky ones who's weight goes straight to boobs and bum.

The issue is when girls feel the need to be proper skinny with no flab whatsoever, when in fact most guys are ok with anything up to a 12 at least, the ones I know anyway, and actually prefer something to grab onto whereas girls freak out when they can pinch a centimetre of fat on themselves.

ReputationRep:
    I just want to be MORE toned, MORE slim and not put on a pound by even LOOKING at food!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not toned, although I'm not exactly obese either, because I'm too lazy to exercise. BUT I would like to be slimmer and more toned for a) my health and b) to look better. At the minute I have to choose clothes very carefully because of my shape, but if I were slimmer with a more defined waist etc, I imagine it would be easier. Hell, I know it would be easier because I have been slimmer in the past. Also, it is partly to keep my boyfriend attracted to me, even though he says he wouldn't care if I put on some weight, I don't want to take that chance!

ReputationRep:
    What? :zomg: You mean to say girls don't want to be hideously obese with thighs that hang down the side of a chair and breasts that reach their knees? Shocker :rolleyes:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.